Three New Universal Audio pedals!

What's Hot

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

The Dream sounds great.  If it was a 4 button unit with separate reverb and trem, amp modelling on off and preset I’d be interested.  I’lI would think about selling my HX stomp and Flint, but as it is it looks a bit too limited for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
    crunchman said:
    I do like the look of these.  I have an Iridium, and it's very good, but it doesn't have a tweed style.  My "real" amp is a Lazy J which sounds great on the edge of breakup.  The cleans are warmer than a Blackface style amp.  I would like to try the Woodrow.

The Dream is tempting as well though.  The mod switch seems to give it a few more options than the Round amp on the Iridium.
    Sorry to go slightly off topic, but I’ve been mostly using a BF Fender for years but often wondered what my board would sound like into a good Tweed-style amp for clean tones: are they much warmer with more mids, and do they sound more compressed (I use a Cali76CD with a 65 PRRI, currently)?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Tweed cleans are really nice, well there’s no one tweed sound but comparing a 5E3 to a PRRI - they sound warmer and darker.  Less sparkle but slightly bigger and looser.  More mids but I don’t find them mid dominated just less scooped.  Depends quite a bit on the speaker of course.  Part of the tweed sounds is ragged sounding alnicos but I prefer them with Celestion ceramics.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2197
    I could probably use the vox one, but don't have any space on my board 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Really like what I have heard of these so far in various YouTube demos. Very impressive sounding, although I personally won’t be buying one, as I have limited funds & no desire for more gear atm.
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1292
    UA are a company that seem to favour closed eco-systems.

The Ox has a hidden line input. Some guy opened his up and saw a RCA plug on the circuit board beside the amp input and discovered it took line level signal, which of course greatly increased the usability.

The demos of the new pedals sound great, though the limited functionality makes them less appealing.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    I went for one, sold my iridium for it.  Cost very little to do the swap and gained reverb and trem and better sounding modelling.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 400
    koss59 said:
    I went for one, sold my iridium for it.  Cost very little to do the swap and gained reverb and trem and better sounding modelling.
    Have you compared their sound side by side?
    susbemol said:
    koss59 said:
    Have you compared their sound side by side?
    No I took the gamble as I’d fallen out with the Iridium anyway but do a lot of recording and have compared it since with recorded tones.
    Interesting. Which model did you replace the Iridium with?
    Dream 65. I only wanted a clean platform really which is how I use my amps but the broken up sound is a lot nicer than the Iridium too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2022
    I’ve just recorded a track using it should anyone care to see what it sounds like with zero editing.

Using my 66 Esquire and 64 ES-335

https://youtu.be/EaVmL7DDDMA

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Just ordered the Dream out of curiosity 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

Tweed cleans are really nice, well there’s no one tweed sound but comparing a 5E3 to a PRRI - they sound warmer and darker.  Less sparkle but slightly bigger and looser.  More mids but I don’t find them mid dominated just less scooped.  Depends quite a bit on the speaker of course.  Part of the tweed sounds is ragged sounding alnicos but I prefer them with Celestion ceramics.

For a stock 5E3, that's about right.

My valve amp is a Lazy J 20, which is based on a Tweed 5E3, but with 6L6s and a bigger output transformer, plus a Celestion Blue speaker.  Those changes make it a bit tighter sounding than a stock 5E3.  I love the cleans on it.  Definitely a bit warmer sounding with a bit more mid range than the Princeton I just sold.

I'm really thinking about getting one of these pedals.  Not sure whether to go for the Woodrow or the Dream though.  One of the options on the Dream models cutting out the tone stack.  That should give it a bit more mids, although that would give more gain as well, so I don't know if that would do the cleans.

I tend to leave the Iridium on one setting anyway, so I'm not too fussed about only having limited options.  Not sure whether to go this route or spend more money on an all in one box like a Kemper Stage or Quad Cortex.  This would probably be for live us.  I have a Kemper toaster at home, but I've been using the Iridium with my pedal board live.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2197
    I'm probably going to order the Dream. I like the idea of using straight into a mixer / studio monitors or pa when it's not convenient to use my amp and pedalboard.

I've never ventured into the world of modelling before though.  Would it be OK plugging into a hifi amp / speakers I wonder for living room playing? 
    Assuming it has line inputs, yes, it would.
    Fishboy7 said:
    I'm probably going to order the Dream. I like the idea of using straight into a mixer / studio monitors or pa when it's not convenient to use my amp and pedalboard.

I've never ventured into the world of modelling before though.  Would it be OK plugging into a hifi amp / speakers I wonder for living room playing? 
    No reason why not but you might get mixed results depending on the hifi.   I tried my Helix through my Denon but it was much better through monitors.

• If you want a laugh, you should see how unnecessary aggro the TGP threads on UAFX are. Mental…
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Am not usually a fan of Rhett, but I watched this last night, recorded at Sunset Sound studio.  Mateus Asato’s playing impressed me. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    duotone said:
    Am not usually a fan of Rhett, but I watched this last night, recorded at Sunset Sound studio.  Mateus Asato’s playing impressed me. 

So many great tones!

What James said about lots of devices being able to do a super clean and heavy chug pretty well but struggling with the edge of breakup is so true in my experience. And that is where a lot of the magic is for so many sounds.