Splitting holiday cost, what would you do?

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12368
    But if you rented a bedroom in a shared house you wouldn't expect to pay less for the room because you were single, food and bills yes not the accommodation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    edited May 2022
    I get the "If we were staying in a hotel" argument, but equally, it depends on the hotel.  I've stayed at one in Japan where it was a double room and I had to pay for 2 people and at the dinner I was offered the 2nd person's food had i wanted...

So using the same "hotel argument"...you are paying by the person too.  This means whichever way you are skinning the cat, you are cherry-picking an example to suit your argument.  There is no win from this except losing friends.

Plus...you are not staying in a hotel, you are staying in a Villa.  So using the "if we were staying in a hotel" argument falls flat immediately.  You are not staying in a hotel, it's a Villa so the property was rented in 1 lump sum.

Imagine hiring a private jet, you'd split it per person, wouldn't you? Yeah, I know the couples are not forced to share a seat but also, in the villa they are not forced to sleep on the floor?  Perhaps if the tables are turned, if the friend asks to sleep on the sofa would this friend get to stay at the Villa for free?

Basically, is the cost predicated on room or person?

I mean I'll go for free, I'll take the sofa.

So, I guess I am siding with the friend on this one, seems more logical to me.  The "if this was a hotel" argument doesn't work because it is NOT a hotel.  Apples and Oranges.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 630
    Also seems worth making the point that nobody here is suggesting the cost be split to include the kids somehow – an argument that wouldn't be without merit from the point of view of someone who only cared about money.

When you don't have kids but your friends do, you accept that they're part of the package, and that if you want to spend your holiday with your friends you also spend it with temperamental small people who will probably end up dictating much of the routine and the activities you can do as a group.

When one of your friends doesn't have a partner, you accept that 'package', too. A hotel might penalise them for it, but a friend shouldn't. In most cases they're not single by choice!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

If I were really side with the friend on this one.  Essentially the friend is okay for the kids to go for free, even if the villa is split between the adults. But the couples are not okay with splitting the cost equally between the adults?

If you look at it that way, the friend is being taken advantage of twice.

Even if the Villa is split evenly between the adults, the kids still get a free stay, I mean the airline isn’t giving a free seat on the plane for the kids.

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3673
    CHRISB50 said:
    Split the cost evenly. Reference that, bitterly, at least once a day, every day for the whole holiday.

You won't have to worry about having the same problem next year.

You're welcome
    I think that is already a given
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Split between the adults. If that Villa cost £600 why should the single pay £200 and the other adults £100 each. Your all getting the same holiday so why should hers be twice as expensive? 
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 788
    bobblehat said:
    Split between the adults. If that Villa cost £600 why should the single pay £200 and the other adults £100 each. Your all getting the same holiday so why should hers be twice as expensive? 
    Agree. Split between the adults
    bobblehat said:
    If it was dinner I would totally agree, but each household going on the holiday is getting one bedroom so each household should pay for that to me.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited May 2022
    this isnt a lead up to another  3 some thread is it ?  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    munckee said:
    bobblehat said:
    If it was dinner I would totally agree, but each household going on the holiday is getting one bedroom so each household should pay for that to me.
    This isn't about the cost of a bedroom though , its about the cost of the Villa. The friend is paying one third of the cost of the villa but having to share it with 6 other people. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    charge them  £100 and make them baby sit for 3 nights
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    bertie said:
    this isnt a lead up to another  3 some thread is it ?  
    Must admit, with his previous form, the thought had also crossed my mind..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    What about a compromise? 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12329
    Blimey, wasn't expecting so many reponses, I think we'll reach some sort of compromise, as said earlier us couples will both be in a room with a double bed and a child, she has a room with a double bed to herself, it was her that suggested the holiday in the first place, the women all being workmates, we've already had a "big holiday" this year but thought fuck it might as well, it sounds nice and I still have some A/L  to use up before September.

I guess some minor personal gripes come into this, she is a single professional living in a bought apartment and has a lot of money, when I say a lot I'm talking a lot, she doesn't really have to budget and likes expensive places and restaurants etc whilst me being a tight arse likes to self cater.

However she is tight when out for a meal, inspecting and itemising the bill etc, or even once or twice agreeing to go dutch when she has had the most expensive stuff on the menu! It's a bit bitchy I know. But she is actually very nice and good company at the same time. We can't always be as perfect as me ;) But yeah if it means not going I'd rather bite the bullet and acquiesce. I think.. for now... maybe...hmm...
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    ^^^ people have lots of money because they are tight with money.  As she demonstrates. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    ^^^ people have lots of money because they are tight with money.  As she demonstrates. 
    That explains why I am poor then - we always go halves/split equally when we go out with friends, it isn't even a discussion.
    Simonh said:
    That explains why I am poor then - we always go halves/split equally when we go out with friends, it isn't even a discussion.
    Yep goes without saying with all our friends.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27005
    Simonh said:
    What if you've had a steak and chose an expensive wine and the other person has a bowl of pasta and would've been happy with the house red? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    it has never even factored in the discussion, when we have been out with friends and their kids we still split it
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5379
    Simonh said:
    What if you've had a steak and chose an expensive wine and the other person has a bowl of pasta and would've been happy with the house red? 

With groups of proper friends, not friendly acquaintances, no-one pulls those stunts. Well, not with my friends, because my friends aren't cunts or they wouldn't be my friends. The relatively small differences on one occasion balance out over time. Or come back in other ways through the give and take of friendship.

In the OPs situation, whenever we've gone on multi-household holidays (no sprogs involved) the cost has always been broken down "per person" because there's usually a mix of singletons, marrieds, and couples of varying longevity. And even amongst the long term couples, people handle their finances differently, or have different income levels. However, there's usually also been an element of ensuring that the venue and any group activities are budget-appropriate to all parties, and it's always been discussed up front.

Same deal when me, Mrs Snags and her sister treat their parents to a celebration meal. "The kids" foot the bill, but split it 2:1 because there's two of us and one of the sister-in-law. Although arguably there's only one income in each household, because Mrs Snags "works" with me, but not really full-time equivalent or directly fee earning. It's just the least stinky thing to do.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom