Supergrass

What's Hot

Comments

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6492
    I saw them in Wolverhampton on the tour to support In It For The Money. Robert Plant was in the crowd.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    TDubs said:
    Massively underrated in my opinion. Some excellent songs. Saw them at Ally Pally the weekend before lockdown started. The sound at Ally Pally had always been dreadful for every band I’d seen there but Supergrass got it bang on. 

As others said, Gaz Coombes solo stuff is also top drawer.
    I was at the same gig although I recall it being midweek but definitely only days before lockdown.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3076
    I like them very much. They were the last band I saw before lockdown in March 2020 - great as always.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11304
    I saw them a few times around the first couple of albums. They were astonishingly good for such a young band. 
  • hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 118
    One of my first gigs, round about when mansize rooster came out. Played that first album to death!
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Went along to a gig in 2001 because they happened to be playing in my home town of Warrington, which was never exactly a hotspot for gigs.

Wasn't sure what to expect but was very impressed. They're one of those "oh, they did that one too" bands*, where I'd forgotten how many great songs they'd written, even at that stage.

* I think Squeeze are the definitive example of this phenomenon.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    Great band.  I saw them at the Old Trout in Windsor when they were the Jennifers. I think Gaz was something like 16 at the time and already brilliant.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    edited June 2022
    I saw them in Wolverhampton on the tour to support In It For The Money. Robert Plant was in the crowd.
    I saw them in early 1995 at the LA2 supported by Ash (secret set) and The Bluetones. My mates met Jarvis Cocker at the bar, I was watching Ash at the time so didn't get to meet him.

Also saw them on 21st Sept 1994 supporting Ride at the Albert Hall. Andy Bell warned us they'd be huge!

Didn't see them agaon until Crystal Palace last summer. First gig after covid and they were amazing.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11766
    I love the way each post in this thread is becoming a competition over who saw Supergrass earliest...

I first saw Gaz at nursery, someone gave him a wind up guitar and he shat himself, I think it ended up as the B-side to Lenny.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    They were matey with Radiohead back in the day and shared the same management, who nicknamed the two bands The Head and The Ass.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1085
    Ah man I haven't thought about Supergrass since I don't know when. Amazing memories back in the 90s. Very clever catchy songwriting - much cleverer than Blur or Oasis. Also Gaz always sports great hats and a great beard. Legends.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 829
    edited June 2022
    The thread has got me thinking about when I did see Supergrass and by the power of 'tinernet it was 20th October 2002 and were supported by the Libertines who were particularly shit if I remember rightly! But still glad I saw them.

Some video I did of Gaz Coombes October 2018 at Manchester Academy 2

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Basically they’re Squeeze for the Britpop generation. 

Which is to say great songwriting, understated but impressive musicianship, and all too often inexplicably overlooked in favour of less talented contemporaries…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1677
    Road To Rouen is up there as an all-time classic for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    Supergrass were probably my favourite of all the britpop mob. Saw them late 95 and they were great. I'm always hopeful that the aborted 7th album gets finished and released. And it's all Gaz Coombes fault that a greenburst Burns will always be on my GAS wishlist. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited June 2022
    Saw them in 1997 at a festival which also included a British band called Addict (I think?) , who I have not heard from since.

Mr Coombes' solo stuff is good too.

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3869
    Fantastic band. I used to live a few doors along from Gaz's Mum back when they were starting out, so occasionally bumped into them buying munchies from the shop opposite us. Saw them live at Oxford Brookes University some years later. More recently I used to chat to Gaz on the school run, when my son and his daughter were in the same class at primary school. Nice guy. He even came in and played Alright in assembly with a few of the kids that were learning instruments. 
    1reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7175
    Saw them in 1997 at a festival which also included a British band called Addict (I think?) , who I have not heard from since.

Mr Coombes' solo stuff is good too.

Nice few shots of a young @St_Hubbins doing his thang in that vid
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1294
    Lebarque said:
    Fantastic band. I used to live a few doors along from Gaz's Mum back when they were starting out, so occasionally bumped into them buying munchies from the shop opposite us. Saw them live at Oxford Brookes University some years later. More recently I used to chat to Gaz on the school run, when my son and his daughter were in the same class at primary school. Nice guy. He even came in and played Alright in assembly with a few of the kids that were learning instruments. 
    Did you talk to him about the important stuff, like Klon diodes and tone wood? If you didn’t that’s a missed opportunity 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4174
    I love the way each post in this thread is becoming a competition over who saw Supergrass earliest...

I first saw Gaz at nursery, someone gave him a wind up guitar and he shat himself, I think it ended up as the B-side to Lenny.
    Hahaha, well I'm not going to win this one then :lol:

The one and only time I saw them was at last year's Tramlines. They were great - still got the skills, and played a very tidy set. You feel that the headline slot didn't work in their favour this time though, since they followed Dizzee Rascal and about two-thirds of the crowd immediately buggered off once he'd done.