What's Hot
2»

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited September 2014
    fretfinder;347748" said:
    jd0272 said:

Google........

Wisdom duly awarded. Isn't that what everyone tries first...? Although I guess if they did, we wouldn't have nearly as many interesting questions on here!  :)
    Of course I googled it first. And I found it really cheap on eBay first. But, I hoped a large store would stock it so I could walk in yesterday/today rather than wait for postage.

There is a decorating centre near where I work so I will try there out of interest - thanks to some suggestions - so it is worth asking these things.

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickp;347751" said:
    i cleaned my LP for the first time in 12 years.  makes hell of a difference!!

watched a good you tube video

then cleaned using

credit card first, then wire woolmasked up pups per sambostar's suggestionthen did frets after masking the fretboard all the way up
    That's the process I'll be following. It's got 20 years of someone else's fretboard muck at the moment.

I usually just use a very slightly damp cloth, elbow grease and Lem oil but thought I'd try this method first.

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader

You can use Scotchbrite and probably other mesh pads, they come in various grades - no stray bits to stuck to magnets or go rusty etc.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10536
    tFB Trader
    Use masking tape to cover your pickups or you will f--k them up badly .... especially open humbuckers. These days I only use non ferrous abrasives like Mirlon on fully assembled guitars.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited September 2014
    TheGuitarWeasel;347808" said:
    Use masking tape to cover your pickups or you will f--k them up badly .... especially open humbuckers. These days I only use non ferrous abrasives like Mirlon on fully assembled guitars.
    Corvus;347802" said:
    You can use Scotchbrite and probably other mesh pads, they come in various grades - no stray bits to stuck to magnets or go rusty etc.
    Hmmm two more ideas thrown into the mix. Cheers chaps! I'm confused now :-S I see the caution in avoiding the metal getting into the pickups etc.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader
    Should've said Scotchbrite comes in different grades, light grey's a fine grade. There's some coarse angry bastard grades but I forget the colours... Even with the fine grades it's prob best skip around plastic inlays.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited September 2014
    In the high winds of Winter, one dark night the hand of destiny took my motorbike over off of its stand! As such some grazing occurred to the chrome exhaust... I just had to attack it with fine W&D as to all onlookers would look like the bike has been down and as such the rider must be a right plonker...

I applied Vaseline to the W&D and pipe and went at it... surprisingly it did improve things but I have months of rubbing away to go probbo and will never be perfect. 

So my tip - APPLY LUBE!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    In the high winds of Winter, one dark night the hand of destiny took my motorbike over off of its stand! As such some grazing occurred to the chrome exhaust... I just had to attack it with fine W&D as to all onlookers would look like the bike has been down and as such the rider must be a right plonker...

I applied Vaseline to the W&D and pipe and went at it... surprisingly it did improve things but I have months of rubbing away to go probbo and will never be perfect. 

So my tip - APPLY LUBE!
    Life tips as well!

Believe me, friction won't be a problem I won't be sliding up and down the fretboard like someone who can actually play...

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10536
    tFB Trader
    Corvus said:
    Should've said Scotchbrite comes in different grades, light grey's a fine grade. There's some coarse angry bastard grades but I forget the colours... Even with the fine grades it's prob best skip around plastic inlays.
    Mirlon is simply another brand name of Scotchbrite type material
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message