Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Transition from shy bedroom guitarist to gig next month - help!

What's Hot
Slash'N'burnSlash'N'burn Frets: 162
edited October 2022 in Live
I've been playing for years but only in the last 18 months pushed myself to get out there and join bands playing mainly rhythm guitar. I used to really struggle playing in front of just two other people (clammy hands, clumsy playing, forgetting stuff) I've overcome that to degree, but now I've joined an established local band as lead guitarist, and they have a gig in a months time! 

Any advice for how to prepare for being up on stage playing in front of people, and not make a total hash of it? 

I have enough time to learn the 12 songs, it's not particularly complex but they are mostly fast paced.

Wondered about forcing myself to play in public beforehand (not sure how/where) to prepare myself for this gig and try get over my fears or at least make some inroads into it?

I'm excited about it as well, getting to do what I could only dream of in the past,  just don't want to let the band down!

Thanks for any suggestions! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6876
    Try recording yourself, that puts a bit of extra pressure on. If you cock it up during the recording keep going as you need to learn to ignore mistakes and get back into the groove quickly.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    Practice standing up! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 18reaction image Wisdom
  • Garold86Garold86 Frets: 123
    An open mic night is always a good place to start if you want some live experience prior to the big day. Turn up, do a few songs (even with the rest of the band) and head off into the night.

Recording is a great tool as above. Helps you focus on the bits that don't sound just right, as well as being a relentless run through of the songs to get used to making mistakes and soldiering on regardless.

In terms of fears, I was always worried that people would laugh at me / us owing to my playing. Having now gigged for a while, I know that the only person in the venue who is going to remember my mistakes 3 notes later is me. The average punter won't ever know and any guitarist will give you much respect for just getting up there in the first place.

Best of luck, and don't forget to have fun - your first gig is one you'll always remember.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    I found smiling really helps.  If you don’t consciously smile you tend to gr8mace and tense up, nd then it’s hard to play if you are not relaxed.

i always found a pint before helps but other might not agree 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    There’s something much more anonymous about a pub full of people than playing to your Auntie Pauline so to some extent you might as well just take the plunge. And generally be ready: practice, know what gear you’ll have, what clothes you’ll wear,etc. 
    If you can have at least one band practice as if you were facing an audience. In rehearsals we tend to look at each other for cues and when suddenly you are facing front it can really f**k you up. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27091
    edited October 2022
    • Practice standing up.
    • Practice looking up. 
    • Practice with the band in 
    • Practice while recording to give yourself some pressure
    • LISTEN to that recording and pick up what you can improve - timing, tuning, tightness with others
    • Practice making mistakes - when you or someone else fucks up, look at someone else and grin AND KEEP PLAYING
    • Don't be afraid to make notes on your setlist for starting chords/notes/keys/capo placements 
    • PRACTISE LOOKING UP
    • Prep spares of everything that can break - strings, cables, patch cables. Put them somewhere that you can access easily.
    • Practice the whole setlist on your own in order as if you're playing the gig
    • Practice the whole setlist on with the band in order as if you're playing the gig, all laid out as if you're on stage rather than a rehearsal room.
    • If taking multiple guitars, practice the changes between them
    Good luck! You'll do fine :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Sage advice above from people much more qualified to comment than I…
    I’m guessing that if your band mates want you there as lead, then that’s your toughest critics already onside. 
    Somebody has booked said band to play. Another vote of confidence. 
    Other than that, head up,  thrust that groin and give them fcukin’ hell!!
    I for one am full of respect for all those that do. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • All great advice above. For me, returning to gigging after Covid was harder than I thought it would be. What I did was swagger about confidently like a fucking rock star and enjoyed myself, even if I ballsed up the intro to two songs.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    edited October 2022
    You'll be fine.  And even if you're not, it will be fine. 

As others have said, practice standing up, and practice until you can't go wrong. 

Find an open mic or two and turn up solo. If you can do that, you can play in a band. 

Remember that every enormous hideous woeful mistake you make... will be completely unheard by 99.9% of the people in the room. Seriously. Noone listens.

Also, practice looking pointedly to your left and your right. Then, when you fuck up, you can glare at the bassist/other guitarist/keys player so everyone thinks it's their fault. 

And know that you won't play your best. No-one ever does. So when you get compliments afterwards say "Thanks" not "No, I was shit".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    All of the above and

Escape roots if you play a wrong note bend it and smile
    If you get lost play a series of wrong notes and resolve at the next chord change
    If you get really lost play some damped strings in time and resume
    Dont drink until afterwards
    Look slightly over audiences heads

• Thanks for all the advice, it really helps!

Standing up playing was something that took me ages to get comfortable  with, I rarely play sitting down now. 

Will definitely try recording myself every time I practice, and will try the open mic thing either on my own or with one of the band.

I definitely wouldn't do any serious drinking beforehand, but wonder if one pint (or even just a bottle) before going on would help overall? 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    All the advice that folk have said already... plus Xanax. Just kidding. 

Remember that people want you to be great. They'll be there for you. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Think about this. 

Imagine all the effort you have put in to learning songs, practising them, going to rehearsals, packing your kit, the whole caboodle.

All of that is so you can gig, right? So, tell yourself that you'll be bollixed if you're going to put in ALL that hard work and effort to get gig-ready and then not enjoy the gig. Wouldn't make sense, would it?

You will make some mistakes. Pretty much everyone does. But honestly, nobody will care so don't beat yourself up on it - laugh it off and go easy on yourself. Have a great time.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • One thing I used to find - still do sometimes, to be honest - is that the first few minutes can be a bit like being thrown overboard from a ship. Suddenly everything's chaotic, and you're finding out all the idiosyncrasies of the sound and the venue all at once with lights shining in your face. I've found that the best thing is for the first song at least to be something you're familiar with to the point you can play it in your sleep, simple in terms of what you're actually playing and also in terms of other things that are needed (no fancy pedal switching), leaving your energy for all the other things that are going to happen to you. I've found that stuff that freaked me out at the start left me freaked for the rest of the gig, which is no fun. 
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1347
    edited October 2022
    As others have said get comfortable playing standing up - that's quite a biggie if you've only ever been a couch player.

Playing in a band is VERY forgiving when it comes to guitar  - once the drums and bass kick in you will find you can get away with absolute murder when it comes to flubs, missed notes, bad timing etc...
    (T&C's apply within reason).

The biggest factor. CONFIDENCE. Way way more important than the gear you're using.
    Never discussed on guitar forums - it's the difference between the amateurs and pros... play it like you own it (cos you know it inside out). Nothing gives you away as a hobbyist away faster than nerves, looking down at the fretboard, hesitancy.
    It's taken me years to realise this and address it - and once I did my playing improved immeasurably.

Oh ... and most importantly. Have FUN. Cos it's a blast being alive and making music.  =)
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Already stated, but worth repeating.  When (not if) you play a wrong note, just accept it, and keep playing.  You're doing this for enjoyment (I guess), so have fun, and forget about any potential slip ups.  Even the best get it wrong, it's just the way it is.

I used to work with a band that were pretty professional, but struggled when warming up occasionally, as they relaxed they became epic, at least until they overdid the drink/drugs.  Many a night I would have to fade out the keyboard player as he was off his head!  By then the audience were also to merry to care :)
    my trading feedback HERE
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
    edited October 2022 tFB Trader
    mrkb said:
    Try recording yourself, that puts a bit of extra pressure on. If you cock it up during the recording keep going as you need to learn to ignore mistakes and get back into the groove quickly.

Yeah, this is what I was going to say.

A pet hate of mine with band practice was where people would stop and start again if they made a mistake. Learning how to cover it up and keep going is a big part of being a band and what you have to do when you are playing live. As long as you keep smiling and don't stop 90% of people don't notice.

Also don't set up hundreds of sounds or anything complex.
    Have a few patches, or a small pedalboard. Tap dancing, constantly changing guitars gives you more opportunities to screw up and it looks rubbish to the crowd.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6876
    edited October 2022
    Keep playing is the key - Heres me totally cocking up New England chord progression twice (! - starts at 1:30) and the crowd didnt care! 

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Great advice so far. One thing that i find helpful is to visit the venue beforehand, ideally when there's live music on but not necessarily. Good to get an idea of the layout, how it feels, where you will set up, even where you might be standing. If you're a bit nervous it can really help to visualise the space you will be in and how that might feel.

Good luck, and remember to enjoy it! 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    Don’t overplay. It’s all too easy to think you should be playing lots of notes and widdly stuff. You’ll do far better by playing less but playing it better.

Make sure you can hear the bass and drums (and I mean properly hear - not just know they’re there somewhere) so that you ‘lock in’ with what they’re doing. Get a foot tapping - it will help you keep your phrasing and timing in good shape.

Confidence - remember that 99% of the audience would give their eye-teeth to be able to be able to do half of what you can do.  

Above all - enjoy yourself.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it