Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Transition from shy bedroom guitarist to gig next month - help!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    Unfortunately we start the first set with my three quickest/hardest solos so I've found a few minutes of warmup gets me through. Remember to look up!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • uberscottuberscott Frets: 130
    I can't add much to the practical advice to what's already been said, but just under three years ago I was in much the same position as you. By my 40s I had been playing for over 30 years, but hadn't gigged regularly since my 20s. Three years ago, I got back into regular playing/practice and joined a local band, and honestly - it's one of the best things I've ever done. We play pub gigs once or twice a month, and I've improved a lot in both playing and performing. I bloody love it, and I hope you get as much of a kick out of it as I do - good luck and have a blast! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • One more thing:

If in doubt - do less and do it confidently.
    +1 to this!

Less is definitely more generally when gigging but especially when you start out. 

Use as small a pedal board as possible to minimise getting in a mess with pedal dancing, plus less stuff to go wrong/trouble shoot.

When you get your amp up to gig level, use a bit less bass and a bit less gain than you think you need.

Then when solo time comes many less notes at much less speed than you think! 

A good tip someone gave me once was to prevent getting carried away when soloing (particularly improv) play a phrase and then physically take your hand off the neck of the guitar to allow a pause before playing the next phrase/lick.

Good luck and enjoy. If you look like you are having a good time it will translate to the audience and they will pick up on it. Simple stuff played in tune goes down great!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6871
    One more thing:

If in doubt - do less and do it confidently.
    +1 to this!

Less is definitely more generally when gigging but especially when you start out. 

A good tip someone gave me once was to prevent getting carried away when soloing (particularly improv) play a phrase and then physically take your hand off the neck of the guitar to allow a pause before playing the next phrase/lick.

Great idea - one note per arm windmill should do it ;) Audience will lap it up.

Classic Rock Bands Pete Townshend of The Who
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Did the gig last night - It was fun and I survived!

We were a last minute addition to the 3 band event,  but when we arrived it turned out that the headliner had pulled out,  and we ended up playing last!!  First time I'd met the drummer also.

I was bloody nervous while watching the first band, as they were really skilled and a confident bunch of teenagers!  It was really hot in there and humid with the strange weather we've had,  so whoever suggested taking talc for the fretting hand - thanks again I would of been knackered without it! 

We started off with a simpler song to ease into it, but I wasn't quite prepared for how much faster they played their already fast songs live,  missed  a couple of solos due to that but no-one would of noticed.  Ballsed up the lead intro to the 3rd song by playing part of it a semitone out (nerves) but after that it all went well and I really enjoyed being up there and playing live. And I get to do it all again next thur!

If I can do this, seriously anybody can.
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    edited October 2022
    Excellent.

There will also be awful gigs, it's not you.

If it is you you'll stop getting gigs so as long as they keep coming - keep enjoying them and don't worry.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9682
    Glad it all worked out. keep on keeping on. And keep on enjoying.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it