Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Transition from shy bedroom guitarist to gig next month - help!

What's Hot

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Practice, more practice, and good call on recording ^^^^ - that really does up the pressure !

Stage fright/nerves can only really be addressed by uber-practice until public performing is familiar (and as said ^^^^ after a break like for Covid, soon comes back)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9682
    I definitely wouldn't do any serious drinking beforehand, but wonder if one pint (or even just a bottle) before going on would help overall? 
    For me - absolutely no alcohol when playing live. I suspect a fair few here would agree. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • randellarandella Frets: 4176
    edited October 2022
    HAL9000 said:
    I definitely wouldn't do any serious drinking beforehand, but wonder if one pint (or even just a bottle) before going on would help overall? 
    For me - absolutely no alcohol when playing live. I suspect a fair few here would agree. 
    Absolutely agree - I like to sit and have a beer whilst playing on a Friday night to unwind, but a beer or two at a gig and I lose track of things. Concentration goes out the window.

And, apart from anything else, there's nothing worse than needing a piss halfway through a set lol

Being nervous is fine - it means you want to do a good job! I always found the clammy hands and tension in the hands disappeared after a couple of songs at which point you start enjoying it. The more you enjoy it, the more everyone else does! Pull your rockstar faces, smash those chords, have a good time - you'll be right
  • randella said:
    And, apart from anything else, there's nothing worse than needing a piss halfway through a set lol
    Yes there is: having a piss halfway through a set!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4176
    randella said:
    Hah yeah, OK - fair cop :lol:

Here's a practical tip - take the first tune from your setlist and practice the absolute crap out of it. Don't neglect the others, but you want that first one nailed down so hard it haunts your dreams.

Cast iron guarantee that the tension and nerves will peak just before you start that tune, so get the count-in, the opening riff or chords, and any tricky solos under your fingers and it'll take the edge right off.
  • Envious of you OP! Don't forget to let us know how it goes!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    A lot of good points here. For me the key ones are, firstly, practicing as close to gig situation as possible, standing up, lined up facing the audience, and wearing what you’ll use for the gig. I’ve seen a guitarist lose it completely because his shirt sleeve unrolled, and got in his way.

Secondly, starting with a simple song which you know very well. A previous band I played in always started with Let’s Stick Together because it has held chords, and we could use those spaces to fix things such as amp volume, dropped plectrums, or that cable which has got caught on your shoe.

To the preparations I’d add making sure that you’ve got spare plectrums and a spare guitar cable close to hand, and either a towel or talcum powder for sweaty hands.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    I was told something like most of your little mistakes no one will notice
    onky a few your band will notice
    and of the very very few the audience notice just smile and laugh it off 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Replicating the conditions of the performance is helpful, like the others have said, play standing up, video recording yourself etc. Get used to the situation. Try not to overthink too much, as long as you're well rehearsed and all your gear is working alright then you should just enjoy it. Once the first number is out the way you'll slowly start feeling more confident. Try to remember audience don't actually want to see you mess up, they want to see a nice performance!
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2959
    If you can, use your own gear. Or, at least, gear you know how it responds.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Envious of you OP! Don't forget to let us know how it goes!!
    Will do!  And if I can get to play in a band, seriously anybody can!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've arranged an open mic thing with the singer/rhythm guitarist for next week, hopefully this will help towards the upcoming gig. 

Thanks again for all the help. Think I will be reading back through this thread on the night of the gig, because it really does put me in the right frame of mind! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've arranged an open mic thing with the singer/rhythm guitarist for next week, hopefully this will help towards the upcoming gig. 

Thanks again for all the help. Think I will be reading back through this thread on the night of the gig, because it really does put me in the right frame of mind! 

Great! Should help drum up some audience for the full band gig too!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    randella said:
    Pro tip: go for a wee

That's a good one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6871
    roberty said:
    randella said:
    Pro tip: go for a wee

That's a good one
    Not in this way though

https://youtu.be/xCwXy0aq6Do

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3027
    edited October 2022
    Lots of good advice here.  

If the venue is very hot you can get rather sweaty and if you’re not careful you can get a bit dehydrated, which  can lead to cramp.  This doesn’t seem to affect everyone, but I always have a bottle of water to keep hydrated (not a glass as it can spill) and eat a banana before the gig (for the potassium). 

Getting cramp in the middle of your showpiece solo is not fun.

Good luck and have fun.
  • chor808chor808 Frets: 73
    Some great information above. I think when I started I thought everyone would hear every missed noted or chord but they just don't. We've had a couple of stinkers were we've walked off thinking that was terrible only to told that was great. Someone said just remember you are up there doing it, pretty much everyone else watching would love to be able to play or sing.

Enjoy it, play at home stood up, don't bother about mistakes no one will notice. You will be buzzing after, don't expect to sleep!

• shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    edited October 2022
    Nice thread.

The most helpful things for me:

At some point during rehearsal when things are going well, look around you and notice what and who are there. Notice your own body/mind state and remember that when you're in that mindset things go well.

This is your happy place.

If at any point when things aren't going your way think back and put yourself in your happy place, when you get good at this you can do it instantly but it might take a second to start with. All will fall into place.

And remember, you're not required to produce magic. Some of playing is quite boring and some gigs are awful, that's not about you.

Good enough is good enough, that's why they call it good enough.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks again for all the help and advice.
    Well the *month* I had to get prepared has been shortened a bit - we now have a gig this Friday, as a support act!  the practice run at an open mic is this Wednesday. I won't get to meet the drummer until the gig! But it's all good - I'll do what I can do and enjoy it. 
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    edited October 2022
    One more thing:

If in doubt - do less and do it confidently.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom