Composition Challenge #37

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
edited April 2023 in Making Music
INTRO
Time for round #37 of the Fretboard Composition Challenge.

Every few months there'll be a composition challenge. It revolves around individuals or groups of forum members composing and recording music.

No prizes for this challenge. It's just for fun, a spur to creating, sharing, discussing music/recording and learning. Plus a way of testing the water with your creations and getting some feedback.

GUIDELINES - THEME
The theme for this one is: Shaftsploitation

Music for a film in the style Shaft, Superfly...
70s New York/San Francisco cop/gang/drug dealer vibe. All funk and sleaze, wah and flute...

Thanks to @Snap for the idea and @flying_pie for the title.

To encourage entries the theme isn't mandatory, but you might get more votes if you do something that's in some way linked to the theme. That depends on how individuals choose to vote.

Compose a tune, or recycle something you've composed previously.

Picture: In addition to the music, try to create your own picture that relates to your selected theme/title. This isn't mandatory.

DATES AND VOTING
The submission deadline is midnight 30th April 2023
Voting will start soon after the submission deadline and run for about two weeks, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The entry with the most points wins.
The order and scores of the three people with the most votes will be announced soon after the voting ends.

SUBMISSION DETAILS
All recordings and pictures need to be sent via email to Compositions@theFB.co.uk
Songs to be submitted in mp3 format.
Pictures to be in jpg or png format.

ENTRY PLAYLIST
It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Looking forward to this one.

And I already have a track in this genre from the superhero music CC a few years ago... Might as well update it
  • Having loads of fun playing with NI George Duke Soul Treasures for this one. Hopefully, not going down a rabbit hole.

It's not a competition.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Having loads of fun playing with NI George Duke Soul Treasures for this one. Hopefully, not going down a rabbit hole.

ha, yes, I had a good look at that too. But, I've decided to try and do it myself. Same with brass and horns. I am going to aim to play as much in as I can. Well, that's the early plan. Until it sounds gash!
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    I’ll admit I had to Google what it was
    Well, as usual, the notion of this being easy is false. So far, so slow!
  • I'm making some progress with this. Small steps but getting there. Just thought I'd give the thread a bump. How are others getting on?

It's not a competition.
  • Done mine. It's in the playlist in the original post.

It's not a competition.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I've just sent one in. Didn't do it especially for this, but it seemed to fit the theme. I did this one a year or two back when a friend was encouraging me to get involved in some kind of Spotify playlist pyramid scheme based on "lo-fi beats".

There's an initial sample I took from a CD and adjusted / looped, then various 70s style keys played over.
  • horse said:
    I've just sent one in...
    It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
    I'm making some progress with this. Small steps but getting there. Just thought I'd give the thread a bump. How are others getting on?

Somewhere between naff all and 4 bars. Slow is an understatement. Poor behaviour, yes.!
  • I'm trying to learn to play bass well enough first. I still plan to submit something but will need to get my finger out as I've got another cover challenge to finish first and have my first gig in 3 years in April so not a huge amount of time!

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited February 2023
    I've got the bare bones of a track in place, i.e. just drums n bass, but i'm still trying to get the funky right hand guitar technique down!    
    Did a bit of work - got bass, drums and some brass down. Is it any good - not yet!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    How's it going?

The deadline of 15th March is approaching. Does an extension need to be considered?

It's not a competition.
    given the amount of stuff I've got going on, I won't be done by then, no chance. Well not to any degree of reasonable standard!
    Snap said:
    given the amount of stuff I've got going on, I won't be done by then, no chance. Well not to any degree of reasonable standard!

I'll extend it another month, if that's OK with @horse. It's worth waiting for more entries.

It's not a competition.
    I've 'started' twice and not got very far either time.
    That reminds me, I need to get my finger out and do an entry for the Cover challenge :)

It's not a competition.
    That reminds me, I need to get my finger out and do an entry for the Cover challenge :)

There aren't many entries so far this time, considering the high number last time. I'm actually going to have a stab at RotM this evening.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Snap said:

I'll extend it another month, if that's OK with @horse. It's worth waiting for more entries.

Sounds a good plan