Composition Challenge #37

What's Hot

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Ok, have submitted something, it’s not on theme but is something I’ve composed during the lifetime of the challenge. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    dindude said:
    Ok, have submitted something...
    It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
    dindude said:
    Ok, have submitted something...
    It's in the playlist.

Cheers
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    I've completed mine and in a world Fretboard first (that I know of) it includes AI singers (to go with the AI cover art!)

You can now type lyrics and play notes into your computer and with enough fiddling get something out that sounds (mostly) like a singer. I've definitely only scratched the surface, and as I haven't used the software much my skill with it is largely the limiting factor here, but it's an interesting technology.

Lots of options and things to tweak:

If you've ever used Melodyne then you will see there are some similarities. Maybe some of you find it interesting anyway...?! :)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    oaf said:
    I've completed mine and in a world Fretboard first (that I know of) it includes AI singers (to go with the AI cover art!)

Well that's certainly a very interesting approach. It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
    Does sound interesting, I’ll give it a listen later. Mine uses AI text to speech, which is now old-school it seems! 
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    I found a free plugin recently that does something like the legendary Miku pedal. I haven’t tried it yet.
    Habanero said:
    I found a free plugin recently that does something like the legendary Miku pedal. I haven’t tried it yet.
    I used Alter/Ego by plogue for a composition challenge entry a few years back.
    It's not a competition.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    Habanero said:
    That’s sounds familiar! Probably before my time here.  =)
    Here's the product
    https://dreamtonics.com/synthesizerv/

There's an enormous thread on vi-control too with lots of examples
    https://vi-control.net/community/threads/synthesizer-v-vocaloid-haters-might-want-to-check-this.115973/
    (many are better than the Dreamtonics demos IMO!)

The way it works is that you buy the software engine, then there are a number of models/singers that go with it. There's a free version too but I believe it is very limited. You can play in the tune via MIDI or use tools such as Praat to do the analysis of real vocals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2023
    Habanero said:
    Habanero said:
    That’s sounds familiar! Probably before my time here. 
    Below is the link from way back in 2017. Things have moved on a lot since then.

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/105384/composition-challenge-17-and-the-winner-is#latest

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited April 2023
    Submitted mine 
    Submitted mine 

It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
    oaf said:
    Here's the product
    https://dreamtonics.com/synthesizerv/

There's an enormous thread on vi-control too with lots of examples
    https://vi-control.net/community/threads/synthesizer-v-vocaloid-haters-might-want-to-check-this.115973/
    (many are better than the Dreamtonics demos IMO!)

The way it works is that you buy the software engine, then there are a number of models/singers that go with it. There's a free version too but I believe it is very limited. You can play in the tune via MIDI or use tools such as Praat to do the analysis of real vocals.

Very interesting. Which voice did you use for your entry?

It's not a competition.
    Hi

"Asterian" was the voice I used, from Eclipsed Sounds (third parties make them too) and while he's perhaps not one of the very best voices, or at least not one of the more flexible ones, I felt he was closest in character to the style of the song. For the backing vocalists I used "Mai" (from Dreamtonics, who is actually a Japanese voice that can do English; you get her for free with the Pro version) and "Solaria" (another Eclipsed Sounds one who is very good, pretty flexible and easier to use than Asterian).

You can get far more convincing results than I've managed (flick through the vi-control thread mentioned earlier or have a look on YouTube) so I think it's worth exploring and potentially a useful tool (they're quite good enough for backing vocals and/or demos). It is not particularly expensive and because it isn't "traditional" sample data as such the voice packs are small, so you're not downloading GBs of data. You can create your own dictionaries of how you want words to be pronounced (sometimes they're too "clean" and precise with their diction) and there are a lot of options that you can tweak. I have a fairly powerful computer (Threadripper CPU with 128GB RAM) but I don't think it is all that demanding, it renders the audio as you go along.

I created my song vocals from scratch however Praat can be used very successfully to analyse existing vocal recordings. I find it an extremely slow process. Another alternative is to feed the audio into Melodyne and have it create MIDI for you - much quicker and can yield decent results. That does lead to the question of "why use a computer voice when you have a real recording?" but I suppose you can take one recording and have other voices perform it (e.g. more backing vocals, creating variety/texture) or if you're male you could have a woman sing your composition, etc. There's a whole "scene" where people do digital covers using computer voices which can be quite impressive (and at times unintentionally hilarious!) too. I think a lot of the good ones use Praat and must spend hours. I don't really get the cover scene but each to their own!

What else...? You can either use the Synth V program as a standalone and export WAV files or as a plugin. I have found it easier to use it as a standalone and then handle the audio files within the DAW but there are pros/cons to each approach.

Hope this helps.
    edited April 2023
    @oaf thanks for the info.

I'm can't sing to save my life, but I've got Melodyne 5 Editor, so wonder how generating something with my own voice might compare with using a synthetic voice.

It's not a competition.
    If you'd like to email me a short MIDI file and some words I can send the results back :)
    oaf said:
    If you'd like to email me a short MIDI file and some words I can send the results back :)
    That's very kind. I might take you up on that, but at the moment I've got a few other projects going on, so I don't want to get too distracted.

It's not a competition.
    Entry closes this coming Sunday (30th April 2023) at midnight.

It's not a competition.
    Entry closes tonight at midnight.

It's not a competition.