The Fretboard Running Thread 2023

What's Hot

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4055
    RedRabbit said:
    Week 2 of c25k complete.  The w2 intervals have been easy enough that I've not really felt like they were pushing me though.  To keep things challenging, I've been finishing each session with a longer and/or faster run.  I stretched today's final interval from 90 seconds to 7 minutes. 

I don't think I'm going to find week 3 too tough.

Edit - just checked, the longest run in week 3 is 3 minutes.  Nothing to worry about.
    If you’re finding it too easy, maybe have a look at the Nike Run Club app. It is free, has a 5k training plan and (and others) and is more customisable. You can do it in a shorter period and it offers you 5 runs a week but recommends at least 3.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1332
    4th Parkrun done - 31:44.  Different run this time due to flooding at my usual course. Really pleased that it seems to be a bit more comfortable each time and recovery much quicker.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    9 miles for me today. Changed the screens on my watch to show HR zones and made a big effort to keep into Zone 3.
    Started of OK but the headwind and hills made keeping the HR down difficult, longest run and highest weekly mileage in nearly a year!

Keep it up everyone :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2949
    Brilliant work everyone - not easy staying strong with this wanky weather!

Just did my long run, 13 miles at a canter. Bit faster than last week, but still slower than I'm used to. Heavy on the old legs, especially given I've been adding squats into my strength training, so my legs are in bits to begin with!

And I missed the rain perectly - flash shower before I left, started pissing it down when I got my shoes off. So satisfying!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I also dodged the worst weather yesterday morning. Just about to put my trainers in and my wife pointed at the sideways rain out the window. I messaged my mate and said I was going for it anyway. Got a bit wet on the way to meet him but it stopped and I dried out but the end of it.

5.8 miles Which is more than I intended or expected. Pace was around 9 min/mile but I wasn't trying for anything. Just running, chatting, going where the path looked good. Nice.

Garmin watch won't sync with Connect or Strava so I feel cheated.
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 537
    Well done everyone. I did another half on Friday - a lot easier than the week before despite the wind. And a 10K today. 

This coming week I’m aiming at 2 10K, 1 or 2 5K and 15 miles on Friday. 
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 553
    Can anyone recommend any good online retailers?  I usually use sportshsoes.com .

Cheers

• bobblehat said:
    Can anyone recommend any good online retailers?  I usually use sportshsoes.com .

Cheers

For running shoes or other kit? For shoes, I hear they're good on selection and prices but make sure you know what you need - gait analysis etc.

For other kit, I had a good experience recently with Start Fitness and they have their own brand More Mile - https://startfitness.co.uk/
  • bobblehat said:

Cheers

Watching with interest.  I've racked up over 900km on my current "main" pair (Brooks Glycerine 19).  tbh they don't feel worn out so I'll keep them going for another month, but after that I'll be looking for replacements (likely going back to Brooks Ghost I think.)
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing just now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4055
    Dragged myself out for a lunch time 5km, cold and not very enjoyable but now I feel good for doing it…
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1487
    I've only ever used Sportsshoes.com and never had an issue. 

I use my local running shop now, as they let you try before you buy and take the shoes home for trying on/wearing in the house etc. Usually a few quid more, but impeccable service. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6926
    I use all sort of places - all those mentioned but if you want Nike you can buy direct; they often have discount offers.

Nike have a good 30 day return policy - I got some Pegasus 39s and really didn’t get on with them at all after 3 runs so they went back.

I’m currently going between:

Saucony Ride 15
    Asics Novablast
    Puma Velocity Nitro 2
    Brooks Catamount for off-road/trail

You can also buy direct from other brands as well but I’ve only used Nike. I think Brooks have a comprehensive return policy on worn shoes as well.

The ASICS outlet is worth signing up to - free delivery if you join (free) and usually decent sales if you are happy with last years models. 

MandMdirect occasionally have some nice discount on Adidas if you like them as a brand.

Keller Sports have some good sales as do Wiggle - I’ve used both no issues. 

Sports pursuit also have some tempting prices but I haven’t used them (yet).
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    bobblehat said:

Cheers

Watching with interest.  I've racked up over 900km on my current "main" pair (Brooks Glycerine 19).  tbh they don't feel worn out so I'll keep them going for another month, but after that I'll be looking for replacements (likely going back to Brooks Ghost I think.)
    I've used SportShoes in the past with no issue, other than that I tend to buy direct from Nike as I know what works for me so tend to stick to it.

4 miles after work for me today, slowing down getting easier and felt a lot more natural, think the changes in training etc are starting to have a positive effect...really comfortable run and the legs felt strong.

Speed work for me today. 4x800m at (nearly) 7min/mile. Didn't manage to sustain that pace but got somewhere close. Feeling easier but it's tough in the cold - much harder to breathe. Toughest run of the week done!
    Also I've had great luck with budget stuff from Start Fitness too - clothing that is. Their shoes deals are usually ok but elsewhere is often better. Higher State gear from Sportsshoes is brilliant, usually have good shoe deals too, Wiggle is great also.

My Novablast 2s are getting near the 500m mark so I think to think about a marathon shoe. They're my second pair of Blasts so I really like the max cushioning and the rocker sole. Any suggestions?

I'm loathe to spend too much as I get through shoes every 4-5 months. The Metarides look great but at £150 on sale is probably a bit much given they'll be in the bin by the summer. I could get a pair of Blasts again, or Saucony Triumph or Nimbus but what do you marathon runners go for?
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 725
    Wife and I started running more seriously in 2020. We're both now north of 50 as of last year and have run a trail marathon plus a trail half each year for last the years (either the Clarendon or Hampshire Hoppit).

This year we've set our sights on completing both Hoppit and Clarendon marathons and a 50k SerpentTrail in between. 

Training proper restarts mid Feb and at present we are trying to tick over 3-4 runs per week of between 3-5 miles each. 

This evening was a very chilly 3 miles by headtorch and minus 1.5degrees...

Must be mad. 

We're not fast and given age and limited ability for much cross training beyond the running itself will be happy with anything around 5hrs for the two marathons and hopefully not too much above 6hrs summat for the ultra but will see I guess!
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 446
    Bidley said:
    Speed work for me today. 4x800m at (nearly) 7min/mile. Didn't manage to sustain that pace but got somewhere close. Feeling easier but it's tough in the cold - much harder to breathe. Toughest run of the week done!
    These are really tough sessions but really make a huge difference to your running and fitness. Great work.
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 446
    Ive not been on here for a while but blown away reading how well everyone is running. This is brilliant for motivation, well done lads.
    I’m having a break from marathons this year and am planning on doing a few 10k’s, half marathons etc. I’m also doing The Lakesman half, triathlon again in June which was epic last year. After a 1.2 mile swim and a 56 mile bike …..I still somehow managed to run a 1 hour 35min half marathon. Stunned!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bidley said:
    Also I've had great luck with budget stuff from Start Fitness too - clothing that is. Their shoes deals are usually ok but elsewhere is often better. Higher State gear from Sportsshoes is brilliant, usually have good shoe deals too, Wiggle is great also.

My Novablast 2s are getting near the 500m mark so I think to think about a marathon shoe. They're my second pair of Blasts so I really like the max cushioning and the rocker sole. Any suggestions?

I'm loathe to spend too much as I get through shoes every 4-5 months. The Metarides look great but at £150 on sale is probably a bit much given they'll be in the bin by the summer. I could get a pair of Blasts again, or Saucony Triumph or Nimbus but what do you marathon runners go for?
    Good to know you rate the Novablast 2  - I’ve got a pair in the cupboard for when my Novablasts are retired. I paid £62 and £50 respectively in sales.

I did my first marathon in Glycerin 19s and the second one in Hoka Carbon x2. I don’t think it made much difference 10 mins quicker in the Hoka but I’d say that was down to the training and me getting progressively better/stronger. 

Much more experienced posters at that distance on here than me but FWIW I’d say go with a comfy shoe (for you) that’s proven at the distance. 

It’s back on the rower and mainly upper body strength training for me this week - managed to fuck up my ankle - hopefully just overuse or ironically in the gym whilst strength training for running…last run was 7 miles on Thursday and it seems ages ago! 
    russpm said:
    Ive not been on here for a while but blown away reading how well everyone is running. This is brilliant for motivation, well done lads.
    I’m having a break from marathons this year and am planning on doing a few 10k’s, half marathons etc. I’m also doing The Lakesman half, triathlon again in June which was epic last year. After a 1.2 mile swim and a 56 mile bike …..I still somehow managed to run a 1 hour 35min half marathon. Stunned!

Congrats that’s a great time in isolation let alone after all the other events.