Ren - the future of music?

What's Hot

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8565
    I only found it this week thanks to Justin Hawkins and I loved it - very theatrical and thought provoking 
    I too enjoyed the reaction videos and found that immersing into what is going on lyrically made it hit home.

People dis reaction vids, and most are pretty bad, but the good ones are interesting. For example, how many people have wondered what it was like to hear Eruption for the first time when VH1 came out. This couldn’t be more different but actually has some similarities in that it sounds so alien that peoples reactions are pretty funny / interesting. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035 said:
    I was fully in until he said the "sidewalk" when he clearly meant "pavement"!
    Younger generation dude, Americanisms are more common than ever...
    A bit like the word "dude" you mean ;)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19295
    I enjoyed that. Very much reminds me of a mashup with this mostly forgotten choon... even down to the stepping on the cracks in the pavement lyric  ;)   40 years ago FFS! 

• robertyroberty Frets: 10914
    dindude said:
    I only found it this week thanks to Justin Hawkins and I loved it - very theatrical and thought provoking 
    I too enjoyed the reaction videos and found that immersing into what is going on lyrically made it hit home.

People dis reaction vids, and most are pretty bad, but the good ones are interesting. For example, how many people have wondered what it was like to hear Eruption for the first time when VH1 came out. This couldn’t be more different but actually has some similarities in that it sounds so alien that peoples reactions are pretty funny / interesting. 
    I like reaction videos. Reminds me of when you'd go round a mate's place with a new CD they hadn't heard. Music is best experienced with other people and it doesn't happen as much these days, certainly as you get older but also a sign of the times
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, I saw this, and I do not believe this is the ‘future of music’ (whatever that actually means). But you enjoy it. I’m happy for you. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3419
    edited February 2023
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2950
    I hate the mandem accent and the haircut that everyone seems to have, this whole grime thing being popular and adding some acoustic guitar to somehow make it unique...

But then I got about a minute in and was completely captivated. He has the self-awareness to mention the Eminem and Plan B comparison right there in the song too.

I love how completely sincere and meaningful his lyrics are. Not a single word wasted, the theatrical delivery, the high drama. In theory it's nothing like anything I'd ever thought I'd enjoy, but I do.

I'm off to watch more of his stuff.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3373
    edited February 2023
    NelsonP said:
    My mate Mike from this is war! makes them guitars. Si runs the great rehearsal room we use in Chester and the guitars are built at. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonP said:
    My mate Mike from this is war! makes them guitars. Si runs the great rehearsal room we use in Chester and the guitars are built at. 
    That sounds interesting @lustycourtier -  we're in Wrexham and looking for rehearsal space and those guitars look pretty lovey.... would you mind sharing some deets?
  • NelsonP said:
    That sounds interesting @lustycourtier -  we're in Wrexham and looking for rehearsal space and those guitars look pretty lovey.... would you mind sharing some deets?
    Faktory in Barrow which is a little village actually your side of Chester. It’s a wonderful studio, for rehearsing or recording. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonP said:
    Faktory in Barrow which is a little village actually your side of Chester. It’s a wonderful studio, for rehearsing or recording. 
    appreciate it @lustycourtier - looks really good tbh....thank. you 
  • *Aaron**Aaron* Frets: 73
    I think Ren is the past, present and future of music. I really like his music and all The Big Push stuff.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12449
    Vintage65 said:
    Here's his latest

That's good.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Vintage65 said:
    Here's his latest

That's good.
    I thought it was just like an advert for a building society or something tbh. Love his other stuff though, but cant see where it can go though...
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I’m sorry but if this is the future of music I’m out! 

That was, in two words, fucking shite.

The hair. The vocals. The guitar tone. Everything about it is just wrong…

I’ve heard more interesting/musical farts coming from a baby than this bollocks. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8565

I’ve heard more interesting/musical farts coming from a baby than this bollocks. 
    By then. 

P.s. did you actually listen to it past 30 seconds after judging the hair? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    dindude said:

By then. 

P.s. did you actually listen to it past 30 seconds after judging the hair? 
    Listened to the whole first song in the thread and found the whole thing just… a hot mess.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Vintage65 said:
    Here's his latest

That's good.
    Agreed  :)
  • euaneuan Frets: 1600
    Disliking music because of a haircut. I’m sure we’ve heard that before 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2633
    I appreciate the talent, the effort and the risk taking (and like the haircut). I wouldn't listen to it out of choice though - I'm too set in my ways musically.