Ren - the future of music?

What's Hot

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2618
    tFB Trader
    @dindude @Rabs ;

It's a strange one isn't it? He's evidently a very talented chap......I think thats difficult to dispute. He can sing, he can play, it seems he can rap, he doesn't seem short on personality/charisma and has an interesting back story. I'd imagine most people who consider these things would consider him easy on the eye......from what I know of him he puts some real stuff into his lyrics...... but there is something I can't gel with...... (I am sure he isn't loosing any sleep over that and I hope he does well). My own personal taste has never really accommodated the over theatrical - maybe its that......or maybe sometimes it seems he's a l little desperate for your attention? Thats maybe a bit unfair..... like you say @dindude it's entertaining or even enthralling to watch a video. of his but I am not sure I'd come back to it or listen to an album repeatedly...... maybe his ability gives him that magpie quality of being able to pick up any style and that can make it seem a bit disingenuous? Maybe as he gets older he'll try and do his own thing or find his own style.....  it's strange because on the surface he seems to have it all there...or maybe there just hasn't been that hook....
    Yes he is a bit of an odd one...  I watched Hi Ren because of this thread and am glad I did. That song is less of a song and more of a piece of art that most of us can understand in one way or another. He really doesnt waste a single word in that piece. I find a lot of his lyrics to be very well thought out and in the case of Hi Ren very honest and open. And he shows so many sides of what he can do in one piece its pretty amazing.

After that I found the rap stuff. Which I like a lot of. He has an amazing ability to switch his vocal style. BUT I certainly dont like everything I have seen. The bard stuff outside of Hi Ren I dont like so much, I find it a bit over theatrical. Some of the stuff he does with The Big Push is pretty good to. Hes obviously VERY well practiced.

And he is VERY political. Which while I agree with a lot of what he says, it gets a bit much. Kinda like Roger Waters, sometimes I just wish he would shut up  :)  

So yeah.. Obviously very talented but maybe is yet to still find a path. Or maybe he just doesnt care about that and just does what he wants regardless? Oddly I sent Hi Ren to two guys I used to work with who are both guitarists and have spent time in the industry. They both hated it which I was surprised about. One of them said he had seen loads of guys like that in the past who are a bit cocky and Ren just reminded him of one of the many people out there trying their hardest to make it (if you see what I mean). 

I saw this on his channel, one of his early vids and thought it was pretty good. He has obviously put the work in and done his time with open mic nights and the like.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19063
    ^  I like it, that's a witty tune & a very tight set.
    Re(n)minds me of the Libertines & the irreverent swaggering tongue in cheek energy that they had.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9899
    edited October 2023
    It's the theatrical element that I really like and find most refreshing - he's creating his art without it just being a song or a video or whatever, it's a performance. It's different than four blokes twanging guitars and hitting drums and there's a lot more potential for creativity as well long term. He won't make money from selling cds so to paraphrase him in Hi Ren,  why would he concern himself with that?

Id say I've been to two stand out gigs in the last few years and neither of them was the traditional band gig, those just weren't as interesting to me.

Christine and the Queens - singing and immaculately choreographed dance troupe 

Laura Marling - more like a poetry recital than anything, during the songs you could have heard a pin drop in the very full room.

I think seeing Ren live would be a similar stand out
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Well he beat Rick to claim a no.1 album. Not sure what it really means in this day and age but does feel like a victory for independent music. 
  • dindude said:
    Well he beat Rick to claim a no.1 album. Not sure what it really means in this day and age but does feel like a victory for independent music. 
    Yeah - I agree. The article was interesting @Rabs. I don't think either album is for me, but setting aside their respective musical merits it does feel a little encouraging to know an artist can reach a wider audience with the push of a major label and radio backing doesn't it? 

I am sure by the end of next week Sony/BMG will own the rights to the entire island of Anglesey and the streaming revenue from any sound made on it.  
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2618
    edited October 2023 tFB Trader
    Interesting tune from his new album..

• Rabs said:
    Interesting tune from his new album..

I forget he's Welsh. I mean he has lost his accent lol. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6758
    Knock knock. 
    Who’s there?
    Ren
    Ren who?

That's showbiz. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11999
    Gave his debut a listen last night - impressive stuff really - clearly a massively talented chap.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1371
    edited October 2023
    Does Ren's manager have multiple aliases on this site to promote his client?! 
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    CaseOfAce said:
    If so, he also has pretty much the whole of Youtube lined up behind him as well...

Hawkins...

The lovely Miss Spender...

I think the fact that he's grown huge without major label, or even really indie label support, or to be played on global's "wall of shit" musical stations, makes him a bit of a cause celebre for independent musicians everywhere.
    CaseOfAce said:
    If so, he also has pretty much the whole of Youtube lined up behind him as well...

Hawkins...

The lovely Miss Spender...

I think the fact that he's grown huge without major label, or even really indie label support, or to be played on global's "wall of shit" musical stations, makes him a bit of a cause celebre for independent musicians everywhere.
    Not like Mary to jump on a bandwagon! (Haven’t heard her mention until he got to no.1 but then I’m not an avid follower).

Hawkins is genuine and has been supporting h8m for a while now. 
    dindude said:
    Not like Mary to jump on a bandwagon! (Haven’t heard her mention until he got to no.1 but then I’m not an avid follower).

Wash your mouth out with soap...

You will be saying she's a shill for Fender next... :astonished: 
    dindude said:

I know you’re a fan, I don’t get it, I think she’s unwatchable. But wish her no harm. 
    dindude said:
    dindude said:

I know you’re a fan, I don’t get it, I think she’s unwatchable. But wish her no harm. 
    I was kidding mate... she is very bandwagon-jumpy I totally agree with you.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6758
    Sorry Mary, there's no H in "pander".

And Ren is another one who came down to Brighton and never even called.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 383
    I've been playing music since the late seventies, listening to it for longer. 
    I know skill when I see it. The bloke has talent in abundance but I doubt I'll listen to his album.

I neither know nor care who Mary is so that probably puts me in a wider demographic than a Guitar forum for mostly Gentlemen of a certain age due to the obsessional quality of the aforementioned.

If you read/listen through the links above on this thread about Ren then you'll have a broader view.

I'm mainly into Alt Country or Young/Dylan/Stones/Beatles/Creedence so he must be doing something right. I like his stuff, I like Jamie T too, so shoot me.

Jfingers said:

I neither know nor care who Mary is so that probably puts me in a wider demographic than a Guitar forum for mostly Gentlemen of a certain age due to the obsessional quality of the aforementioned.

Well it's very decent of you to lower yourself to associating with us mere mortals... ;)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23203
    Jfingers said:
    I'm not sure if I even understand that sentence.