What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19295
    edited April 2023
    Litterick said:
    Vintage65 said:
    Here's his latest

Using that riff could be expensive.
    Haven't the slightest clue what you mean...  unless you are an early Stones fan  ;)
    https://www.musicradar.com/news/diddy-sting-5k-per-day-sample
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24780
    I like his covers more.

https://youtu.be/azAD9KE9HKE

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bit weird, but I suppose it's kind of the point really.

Creative? Pretty creative. No doubt. Not sure about "future of music" but something a bit different. 

I think it is entirely possible that his seemingly self-deprecating lyrics are his most endearing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5772
    I like his covers more.

https://youtu.be/azAD9KE9HKE

To be fair, that was bloody good.  I enjoyed that, thanks.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3373
    Litterick said:
    Vintage65 said:
    Here's his latest

Why? The verve have never made a penny from it, all the money went to the Jagger/Richards. Ren wont of made the same mistake
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3373
    dindude said:
    Litterick said:
    Vintage65 said:
    Here's his latest

The bass player of The Verve sent him one of his basses, so the band are likely cool with it, their record co.  might de-monetise that’s all. Rick Beato would love REN as he actively encourages people to use his material in their videos for reactions etc. 

His latest one isn’t my usual thing at all but I think it’s great. The story he tells of the making the video is also interesting, filmed in a shopping centre basement turned homeless squat. It ain’t your usual rap G-wagons and bling for sure.

https://youtu.be/tB-JGSdBerE
    It wasnt a bass, it was a mullard guitar. Its in this weeks Justin Hawkins rides again. Mike Mullard is currently making him another.

BS isnt a verve riff, its a rolling stones one which, due to an admin error before urban hymns came out, wasnt cleared and so the song has cost them for 29 years, and counting. 
    @lustycourtier 

BS isnt a verve riff, its a rolling stones one which, due to an admin error before urban hymns came out, wasnt cleared and so the song has cost them for 29 years, and counting. 
    That was the point I was making (or attempting to).
  • euaneuan Frets: 1600
    Jagger and Richard’s actually handed over the rights in 2019, so the Verve having been taking royalties 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2023
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8565
    dindude said:
    Litterick said:
    Vintage65 said:
    Here's his latest

The bass player of The Verve sent him one of his basses, so the band are likely cool with it, their record co.  might de-monetise that’s all. Rick Beato would love REN as he actively encourages people to use his material in their videos for reactions etc. 

His latest one isn’t my usual thing at all but I think it’s great. The story he tells of the making the video is also interesting, filmed in a shopping centre basement turned homeless squat. It ain’t your usual rap G-wagons and bling for sure.

https://youtu.be/tB-JGSdBerE
    It wasnt a bass, it was a mullard guitar. Its in this weeks Justin Hawkins rides again. Mike Mullard is currently making him another.

Yeah, I’m aware of the Stones origins, but REN is obviously playing against BS, not The Last Time by the Stones or an orchestral version thereof, and as said The Verve have the rights now.
    Anyone still following Ren. I’ve been keeping an eye, he’s been releasing tracks every week for an album release next month, it’s supposedly his rap album, so not all of it is resonating with me but I do think he’s a unique talent. And for a fully independent artist, I think it’s to be respected. I really like his latest one, he’s got a great production style too, it does feel like music created free from the shackles of the music industry, 

https://youtu.be/hVuTGHClU_A?si=MzecCCWvIfkOqKIg

• dindude said:
    Anyone still following Ren. I’ve been keeping an eye, he’s been releasing tracks every week for an album release next month, it’s supposedly his rap album, so not all of it is resonating with me but I do think he’s a unique talent. And for a fully independent artist, I think it’s to be respected. I really like his latest one, he’s got a great production style too, it does feel like music created free from the shackles of the music industry, 

I know this is a really grumpy old man thing to say - but I honestly feel like the music scene these days is so much more sterile than than it has. I've always perceived that there has been a healthy amount alternative music being made over the years - I realise its entirely possible there still is and I am just out of touch - but I just don't see it. I think the focus on social media  popularity and tightening of the purse string has resulted in a real aversion to risk......I know there is good stuff coming out in different genres but it seems much more scarce than at any time post 60's?
  • dindude said:

I know this is a really grumpy old man thing to say - but I honestly feel like the music scene these days is so much more sterile than than it has. I've always perceived that there has been a healthy amount alternative music being made over the years - I realise its entirely possible there still is and I am just out of touch - but I just don't see it. I think the focus on social media  popularity and tightening of the purse string has resulted in a real aversion to risk......I know there is good stuff coming out in different genres but it seems much more scarce than at any time post 60's?
    Are you saying you think Ren is sterile sounding and unoriginal? I think there's a lot of safe music and a lot influence of needing to grab attention instantly before shuffle is pressed or whatever, but Ren definitely isn't that in my opinion. He's got a good social media following by being very much his own thing, through busking and through collaborating rather than by being a pretty boy with nice photos and filters etc. He's doing it the proper way in a modem music world that is very different than four blokes playing in social clubs
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • dindude said:

Are you saying you think Ren is sterile sounding and unoriginal? I think there's a lot of safe music and a lot influence of needing to grab attention instantly before shuffle is pressed or whatever, but Ren definitely isn't that in my opinion. He's got a good social media following by being very much his own thing, through busking and through collaborating rather than by being a pretty boy with nice photos and filters etc. He's doing it the proper way in a modem music world that is very different than four blokes playing in social clubs
    No sorry @thecolourbox - I wasn't referring to Ren, like you say I think he's doing his thing, (mostly) his way - I was saying that is a strengthen of his in that he doesn't appear to have to make too many compromises toward the direction a market focus record company would likely suggest. I am saying that approach is increasingly rare in a medium that is risk averse and commercially. focused., 
  • I know this is a really grumpy old man thing to say - but I honestly feel like the music scene these days is so much more sterile than than it has. I've always perceived that there has been a healthy amount alternative music being made over the years - I realise its entirely possible there still is and I am just out of touch - but I just don't see it. I think the focus on social media  popularity and tightening of the purse string has resulted in a real aversion to risk......I know there is good stuff coming out in different genres but it seems much more scarce than at any time post 60's?

Ren doesn't move me at all, but - there is so much great music still in the underground. You just have to search Bandcamp, for instance. And be patient.
  • I thought his last couple of new ones were pretty decent actually
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Album out today, will give it a listen, but to be honest I think REN’s sweet spot is musical /. Visual art. 

This one dropped yesterday and it is an amazing bit of work. This is single camera choreography, and supports the music brilliantly. Not sure the song will be so listenable on the album.

https://youtu.be/nyWbun_PbTc?si=uZH2gTt-VoiDiF0e
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2620
    edited October 2023 tFB Trader
  • @dindude @Rabs ;

It's a strange one isn't it? He's evidently a very talented chap......I think thats difficult to dispute. He can sing, he can play, it seems he can rap, he doesn't seem short on personality/charisma and has an interesting back story. I'd imagine most people who consider these things would consider him easy on the eye......from what I know of him he puts some real stuff into his lyrics...... but there is something I can't gel with...... (I am sure he isn't loosing any sleep over that and I hope he does well). My own personal taste has never really accommodated the over theatrical - maybe its that......or maybe sometimes it seems he's a l little desperate for your attention? Thats maybe a bit unfair..... like you say @dindude it's entertaining or even enthralling to watch a video. of his but I am not sure I'd come back to it or listen to an album repeatedly...... maybe his ability gives him that magpie quality of being able to pick up any style and that can make it seem a bit disingenuous? Maybe as he gets older he'll try and do his own thing or find his own style.....  it's strange because on the surface he seems to have it all there...or maybe there just hasn't been that hook....
    @dindude @Rabs ;

It's a strange one isn't it? He's evidently a very talented chap......I think thats difficult to dispute. He can sing, he can play, it seems he can rap, he doesn't seem short on personality/charisma and has an interesting back story. I'd imagine most people who consider these things would consider him easy on the eye......from what I know of him he puts some real stuff into his lyrics...... but there is something I can't gel with...... (I am sure he isn't loosing any sleep over that and I hope he does well). My own personal taste has never really accommodated the over theatrical - maybe it’s that......or maybe sometimes it seems he's a l little desperate for your attention? Thats maybe a bit unfair..... like you say @dindude it's entertaining or even enthralling to watch a video. of his but I am not sure I'd come back to it or listen to an album repeatedly...... maybe his ability gives him that magpie quality of being able to pick up any style and that can make it seem a bit disingenuous? Maybe as he gets older he'll try and do his own thing or find his own style.....  it's strange because on the surface he seems to have it all there...or maybe there just hasn't been that hook....
    I think it’s that we’re so tied into the concept of music as a recorded means and a music video that supports, or a live performance of said thing and this blurs the lines. I’ve just come to terms with the fact that Hi Ren, and I think Money Game Part 3 are the sum of the performance and the video together and won’t work for me as music in isolation, but I can watch them over and over as there are so many subtleties and attention to detail and as a musical performance they are stunning.