Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson 2015 Models - now official with prices...

What's Hot

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    edited September 2014
    "On the new bridge instead of having your standard screws that hold everything together and allow for adjustment the 2015 models will instead have thumbscrews fitted with hex wrench sockets so you can easily change your action without the need for a screwdriver."

-----

Is finding a screwdriver harder than finding an Allen key? Not discounting the advantages of Allen sockets but I don't see the difference in 'ease'.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I read on MR (sorry) £2,499 for a standard. I passed solids in my pants.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Wow. I never knew the guitars that andertons sell have nuts with "Groves" in them.
    Someone should tell 'Matty'. He will be chuffed to bits !
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31663
    So the price scare was a hoax then?
    Trads are only a hundred quid more than 2012's RRP, and you can get a Deluxe for £1699.

Sounds fine to me.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16788
    edited September 2014
    I will take this one please:

but yeah, some rather pointless changes that will not make these popular.

G-force - ntohign against robot tuners, although i would prefer them to be an options rather than a standard feature

Zero fret nut - so its not a traditional zero fret with nut but seems to be a combined and adjustable version... makes me think of a danelectro nut :?  it looks a bit clunky to me, and can it easily be swapped for a normal nut or have they removed some wood to make it fit.  Is the real point of this "innovation" to make the tuning system more reliable ?

Wider neck and Plek  with 27% lower frets.  so that's less life between refrets then.  Fretless wonder??   not really bothered about a wider neck either, although its nice to have it as an option

Hex key bridge - Its a good improvement for a tune-o-matic style that could only be raised by the thumbweels before

removable pickguard - i quite like the idea, until you notice missing bracket.  I assume its all done with magnets, but surely you could do just the same and keep the bracket

Les paul 100 logo - what an attractive scrawl it is (see above)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Well Im ordering a Feline in 2015, I see no point in what Gibson are trying to do anymore.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • There is no way on earth I would pay £2499 for a LP Standard, but a gloss LP Junior with a hard case for £699? Can't argue with that.  I'll just need to buy some normal tuners and flog the robot shit on eBay.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited September 2014
    Why the hell are they using that god-awful logo? I understand they feel they want to mark an occasion, but someone needs to be straight and tell them it looks really shitty. That would really put me off buying one - couldnt they just have it on the back of the headstock or something?
  • What is the zero fret all about????
  • What is the zero fret all about????

Replace the nut with a fret basically.  I prefer that method, it means a constant action along the fretboard. Shit for slide playing, but something the 80s MIJ guitars used a lot.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1759

Whoa that logo thing is a terrible idea.

I genuinley cannot see anyone wanting that on their Gibson. Especially like the majority of us if we want a real gibson we have to save up for a long time to get the real thing & having that logo it wouldn't look like the real thing.

• I'll take a special double cut please
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I haven't looked at this yet and never have nor will buy a new gibson, but I'm going to study it later to find some small change to moan about in here.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wow - well that's my wig flipped
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    £700 for a junior in TV yellow with a hard case, don't mind if I do.
  • Zero fret, robot tuners, "removable" pickguard - not my cup of tea, but fair enough. But why does the Traditional have these modern features?

I'm going to be on a 2nd hand Epi budget for a few years anyway...
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    edited September 2014
    In many respects I think this is their most coherent range for a few years, plenty, but not too much, still under the £1K price point but not with the shitty un-finishes, and a Les Paul at every price point.

But! Zero nut, robot tuners,THAT logo, what a turn-off.

Like the Junior and the special double cut otherwise.

Just noticed that even the SG doesn't escape that dreaded logo either!

• grungebob said:
    I'll take a special double cut please
    Sign me up for one of those as well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    I like the robot tuners for fast tuning changes but hate that logo (really tacky), & I like the pickguard to rest my pinky on (& IMHO LP's just look better with the pickguard). No views on the Zero nut yet - I'd have to play one first, and re wider neck and lower frets I doubt it's going to make a huge difference other than wear down your frets faster (as already pointed out).  So I think I'll stick with my current 1990 LP Custom & 2003 SG Standard.  Not that I could afford a new LP anyway! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    What a bunch of boring shite.

And they still haven't fixed the necks.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."