Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson 2015 Models - now official with prices...

What's Hot

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    And you could always eBay the robo tuners if you don't want them. I really like the idea myself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31795
    If any of you do buy a new one with the G-Force tuners I might take an unwanted set off your hands if they're cheap enough.
    :)
  • thomasross20;363490" said:
    There are SO many Gibson models I wouldn't know where to start
    Not if you're a bassist! :-(

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    Babones;366914" said:
    So, hang on. All of the 2015s come with the nonsense G-Force tuning thing stuck on the back? Even the Jr/Specials?
    Yes, but you do get a case with the lower models now instead of a gig bag.
    Talk about forcing it down your throat then. I guess they're aimed at lazy people, guitar students, Thurston Moore wannabes, people who drive automatic transmission cars etc. I'll admit, i prefer a classic looking, 'manual' guitar, so these will never appeal to me, certainly not on a Jr or Special....and that logo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Babones;367174" said:
    not_the_dj said:

Babones;366914" said:So, hang on. All of the 2015s come with the nonsense G-Force tuning thing stuck on the back? Even the Jr/Specials? Yes, but you do get a case with the lower models now instead of a gig bag.

Talk about forcing it down your throat then. I guess they're aimed at lazy people, guitar students, Thurston Moore wannabes, people who drive automatic transmission cars etc. I'll admit, i prefer a classic looking, 'manual' guitar, so these will never appeal to me, certainly not on a Jr or Special....and that logo.
    Or people who like alternate tunings, people who like the idea of not taking a tuner, or people who like to give new technology a chance before writing it off?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    Exactly as i said  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    [quote="Moe_Zambeek;363268"]Is the logo actually something les Paul scribed before he passed? /quote]

Imma take a wild guess and say it was during rather than before.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is it just me or do Gibson not know how to make guitars without those fucking Min E Tune things stuck on the back anymore?! They're a freakin' eye-sore... Please... MAKE THEM STOP. :'( 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3356
    They've probably invested a lot of money in the technology and it hasn't taken off as much as they'd hoped it would, so by fitting them as standard more people will be exposed to them and therefore increased chance of the tech taking off and turning you a profit or at least a return on the initial investment.
    As I've said before I'm not a Gibson man so don't see the harm or the big deal with the headstock logo I don't tend to look at it when I'm playing guitar.
    I will certainly give a doublecut special a whirl and hope it sounds like I'm imagining in my head.
    I'm a Gibson player, really the only guitars I get along with, and the only guitars I ever lusted after as a kid, but I see no problem with anything Gibson are doing. They get moaned at for making 60 year old designs and moaned at if they try something new.

Headstock logo, fret inlay, case, tuners etc I couldn't care how they look as long as the guitar plays and sounds as I want it to.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Neither the tuning thingy or the headstock logo would put me off buying these.

I wouldn't necessarily go out to buy a guitar with robot tuners, but if it came with it I'm sure I'd use them.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1764

I quite like the idea of the Robot Tuners - especially for a gigging musician. If they work as well and as quickly as they seem to then it could be great.

It could also save space on a pedalboard taken up by the tuner.

You could put a Korg Miku in it's place instead !

• Robot tuners - can you manually tune if the battery dies?

Oh it seems you can 

• WezVWezV Frets: 16863

I did some work for a guy recently, he had his std modded to use robot tuners but quickly changed his mind.  I didn't do the fitting of the robo-tuners and I can't remember what it was about the tuners he didn't like, but swapping back to normal tuners had caused him to have tuning issues.   Apparently the holes had been enlarged for the robot tuners but not as large as needed for grover type tuners.  He was refitting klusons and obviously the bushings were falling out.  he had wedged them in with thin card as a temporary measure

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:

I did some work for a guy recently, he had his std modded to use robot tuners but quickly changed his mind.  I didn't do the fitting of the robo-tuners and I can't remember what it was about the tuners he didn't like, but swapping back to normal tuners had caused him to have tuning issues.   Apparently the holes had been enlarged for the robot tuners but not as large as needed for grover type tuners.  He was refitting klusons and obviously the bushings were falling out.  he had wedged them in with thin card as a temporary measure

card is a well renowned tone enhancing material isn't it? especially at any point where the strings meet the wood.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16863

its not going to be a tonal issue for the bushings,  but the bushings do need to be solidly installed on vinatge kluson types.  The main issue with the card was it was only in 2 places around the circumference of the bushing, so it was still free  to move in other directions and causing some tuning instability.   I offered him a few solutions from the major plug and redrill to the minor lets try wrapping the bushing in masking tape to be more evenly spread than the card.  

We decided to try the masking tape fix first as he neded it for a gig. first attempt wasn't quite right but once i had soaked the tape in superglue (well away fom the guitar) it hardened up nicely and essentially made a plastic bushing that fit perfectly.  It worked well enough that we didn't have to do anything else and tuning stability was back to were it was pre-robo tuners, although i did warn him to keep an eye on it as there is the potential it won't last forever.   Normally i would use metal conversion bushings but these holes were not the normal size

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It seems that they also changed the inlay material to MOP but it's hard to be sure from the tiny pics.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    It seems that they also changed the inlay material to MOP but it's hard to be sure from the tiny pics.
    i read that they had done that somewhere
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

The new case's are a bit snappy.image

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23494
    ezV said:

its not going to be a tonal issue for the bushings,  but the bushings do need to be solidly installed on vinatge kluson types.  The main issue with the card was it was only in 2 places around the circumference of the bushing, so it was still free  to move in other directions and causing some tuning instability.   I offered him a few solutions from the major plug and redrill to the minor lets try wrapping the bushing in masking tape to be more evenly spread than the card.  

We decided to try the masking tape fix first as he neded it for a gig. first attempt wasn't quite right but once i had soaked the tape in superglue (well away fom the guitar) it hardened up nicely and essentially made a plastic bushing that fit perfectly.  It worked well enough that we didn't have to do anything else and tuning stability was back to were it was pre-robo tuners, although i did warn him to keep an eye on it as there is the potential it won't last forever.   Normally i would use metal conversion bushings but these holes were not the normal size

I was reading that whole post thinking "why not use conversion bushings?"  >:D<

Those cases look alright, to be fair, but they'll take up more space than the old ones.