What bass next?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27041
As titled. Currently have a parts P bass that does the classic 60s thing *perfectly*. If I wanted to buy something else to compliment, what should I look at?

Generally I really like nitro finishes and things that feel old. My instincts are along the lines of a nice Jazz, or possibly 4003 or Stingray. More extreme wildcards could look like a Thunderbird, EB-2/Rivoli, Hofner Club or 500/1. I'm not super interested in flashy active stuff though something simple wouldn't be the worst thing, maybe?. I don't have a specific budget so let's assume a $4k ceiling and go down from there... 

My band is playing a mix of motown, soul, disco, pop and rock and I have no intention of taking multiple basses to a gig, so it'd be nice to have something that could cover that stuff if I wanted (applying the usual caveats of "you can play anything on anything")

What thinke ye? 
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ...and obvs the right answer is "go try everything!" which I would absolutely love to do but have no good shops within 2000 miles. I'll try and hit a couple when in the UK in a couple of weeks. And then it's entirely possible I'll order another MJT... 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1413
    I am a Bass fundementlist (ha!), so I'd lean towards saying a P-type will do everything you need and nothing you don't. Maybe have another one strung with something else? The one's you've mentioned sound good for a change- Thunderbird for rawk, Hofner for that Beatles look and the short scale. Don't forget to try a Ric! Regardless of anything else, an afternoon spent playing a bunch is a fine investment.

I'd also consider P-adjacent basses like Yamaha BBs or Stingrays. As a wildcard, your budget nudges you up against a player grade CBS bass, which would be a hoot,
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72375

My band is playing a mix of motown, soul, disco, pop and rock and I have no intention of taking multiple basses to a gig, so it'd be nice to have something that could cover that stuff if I wanted (applying the usual caveats of "you can play anything on anything")
    With that list it’s got to be a Jazz, although a Rick would do it quite well too.

You could always justify it by putting rounds on one and flats on the other… I would go with flats on the Jazz if you get one, but flats on the P if you get a Rick.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Clearly the answer is still "go try some", as expected :D 

I will be keeping to flats on the P but a Jazz with flats could also be a nice addition. Not sure about the narrow necks though no I'm used to the chunky P. I did try a Ric 4003S in almost-dayglo red back in 2020 just before I ordered the MJT. I thought I liked it at the time but hadn't a clue what I was doing really. Now I'm actually halfway-competent I'd like to try one again.

GoFish said:

I'd also consider P-adjacent basses like Yamaha BBs or Stingrays. As a wildcard, your budget nudges you up against a player grade CBS bass, which would be a hoot,
    Yeah I was actually pleasantly surprised at how much cheaper old basses are vs old guitars. A 60's Gibson EB2 for well under 5k?! You won't see change from double that for an ES335!
  • Aaaand looking at Carter Vintage is an error, as usual...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Aaaand looking at Carter Vintage is an error, as usual...

Oof glad I'm sitting down <3
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    Stingray, obvs.

Or a Jaguar bass, just because they look ace. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    You can’t go wrong with any that have been mentioned so far. A Jazz is probably the natural progression but have you considered a Mustang with flats? Would do everything you want and a nice contrast to what you have, super easy to gig with too.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    The answer is always a Rickenbacker; it's just a matter of how long it takes you to realise it...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    prowla said:
    The answer is always a Rickenbacker; it's just a matter of how long it takes you to realise it...
    Took me 30+ years :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The answer is actually the JMJ Mustang i've got in the classifieds!  =)
  • louis_LLM said:
    The answer is actually the JMJ Mustang i've got in the classifieds!  =)
    Honestly those do look really cool. Just needs a black or tort guard. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294
    1 bass for every gig only has one real answer.

Fender Urge 2.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    But - TBH you might as well do it properly and get a Jazz and a 'Ray.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • louis_LLM said:
    The answer is actually the JMJ Mustang i've got in the classifieds!  =)
    Honestly those do look really cool. Just needs a black or tort guard. 
    It comes with a black guard as well! 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Definitely a Jazz next, but I'd also check out a few short scales - they can be mega fun.

Or the left-field answer - a fretless of some description.
  • Whitecat said:

Oh god, do I have to? :/
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27041
    edited February 2023

Fender Urge 2.

Well that is certainly one of the basses that exist... apparently....

Well worth noting that I'm not after proper Swiss army knife "HSS Strat/PRS DGT of basses", but just something different to a P that at least might be capable of doing a whole gig (or at least rehearsal) so that I actually have a good chance of using it outside the house! 

In an ideal world of course I'd have one of everything I listed (and probably multiples with different strings), but we live in a world where I could probably buy more than one it might lead to divorce, not least because our spare room is already overflowing with stringed instruments...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    Whitecat said:

Oh god, do I have to? :/
    How often do you need, as an artist, to make rubber-bandy "bwaaaaang" noises? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Fender Urge 2.

Well that is certainly one of the basses that exist... apparently....

I had one for years in sparkly blue.

It was very good indeed.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom