What bass next?

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24591
    wellsyboy said:
    ICBM said:

My band is playing a mix of motown, soul, disco, pop and rock and I have no intention of taking multiple basses to a gig, so it'd be nice to have something that could cover that stuff if I wanted (applying the usual caveats of "you can play anything on anything")
    With that list it’s got to be a Jazz, although a Rick would do it quite well too.

You could always justify it by putting rounds on one and flats on the other… I would go with flats on the Jazz if you get one, but flats on the P if you get a Rick.
    Agree - instinct says Jazz - everyone should have a P and a J !!!
    and a Stingray.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5450
    wellsyboy said:
    ICBM said:

My band is playing a mix of motown, soul, disco, pop and rock and I have no intention of taking multiple basses to a gig, so it'd be nice to have something that could cover that stuff if I wanted (applying the usual caveats of "you can play anything on anything")
    With that list it’s got to be a Jazz, although a Rick would do it quite well too.

You could always justify it by putting rounds on one and flats on the other… I would go with flats on the Jazz if you get one, but flats on the P if you get a Rick.
    Agree - instinct says Jazz - everyone should have a P and a J !!!
    With Duncans?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5795
    Of course the right answer is a Jazz. The right answer isn’t always the most interesting or fun though. Given the type of music you might be playing, something hollow or short scale to give you that gorgeous warm thud sound might be worth a thought. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27205
    dazzajl said:
    Of course the right answer is a Jazz. The right answer isn’t always the most interesting or fun though. Given the type of music you might be playing, something hollow or short scale to give you that gorgeous warm thud sound might be worth a thought. 
    Yeah, feels like good advice :)

Long-term I really fancy an EB2 and a Ric as well but I don't feel like either of those are going to tick the box for the pop stuff in the same way
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    dazzajl said:

Long-term I really fancy an EB2 and a Ric as well but I don't feel like either of those are going to tick the box for the pop stuff in the same way
    There are lots of great basses that will add to what you have but if you hold out for something as do all and practical as your P bass, you’ll end up with another P bass. ;) Still by far the best Jack of all trades there is
    dazzajl said:
    dazzajl said:

There are lots of great basses that will add to what you have but if you hold out for something as do all and practical as your P bass, you’ll end up with another P bass. ;) Still by far the best Jack of all trades there is
    I'm very aware that this is a possibility. I bloody love that thing. At least one more with rounds on it will probably happen eventually...
    A solid F bass with 900 year old flats on is a glorious thing indeed. 
    dazzajl said:
    Yeah 100%

Though I caught myself in the car earlier listening to Like A Prayer and thinking about trebly sloppy nonsense with  vaguely positive emotions. I think I may be becoming... a bass player...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    dazzajl said:
    Yeah 100%

Though I caught myself in the car earlier listening to Like A Prayer and thinking about trebly sloppy nonsense with  vaguely positive emotions. I think I may be becoming... a bass player...
    Just to help matters, Like A Prayer was played on a P apparently;)
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12940
    I am intrigued as to why @icbm would put flats on the jazz and rounds on a P, and not the other way round though. 
    dazzajl said:
    dazzajl said:
    Yeah 100%

It was Guy Pratt on a Spector (PJ pickups, active, I think?) with an octave pedal. And that’s about the most bright/poppy thing I can imagine wanting to do. I can’t stand the Jaco/Marcus Miller etc stuff
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72575
    I am intrigued as to why @icbm would put flats on the jazz and rounds on a P, and not the other way round though. 
    Rounds on the P for maximum aggression, flats on the J for maximum smooth. The other way round won’t be such a contrast.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Rounds on the P for maximum aggression, flats on the J for maximum smooth. The other way round won’t be such a contrast.
    Thing is that would require taking the flats off the P, which isn't likely. So I'll need another P, clearly :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    dazzajl said:
    dazzajl said:
    Yeah 100%

It was Guy Pratt on a Spector (PJ pickups, active, I think?) with an octave pedal. And that’s about the most bright/poppy thing I can imagine wanting to do. I can’t stand the Jaco/Marcus Miller etc stuff
    That sounds researched so I’ll go with that. My girls mum is friends with guy and was on the phone when you posted about LAP, so I asked and she said ‘some kind of P bass’. Lazy journalism on my part.  :3

Jaco was the greatest by the way ;)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28663
    Perilously close to four pages and no purchase... 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Sporky said:
    Oh he’s working on that - as am I…. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    dazzajl said:
    dazzajl said:
    dazzajl said:
    Yeah 100%

That sounds researched so I’ll go with that. My girls mum is friends with guy and was on the phone when you posted about LAP, so I asked and she said ‘some kind of P bass’. Lazy journalism on my part.  :3

Jaco was the greatest by the way ;)
    :D Only cos I've been watching his vids on YouTube recently. 
    Sporky said:
    As if I need further encouragement :D It's hard to GAS quickly when all the good shops are 2000+ miles away! 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28663
    Stingray, obvs.

Or a Thunderbird bass, on looks alone. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    :D Only cos I've been watching his vids on YouTube recently. 
     You know, I’ve seen that one *face palm*

Loved the lockdown licks stuff. Like a four stringed Ronnie Corbett