The demise of Fast Fret

What's Hot

Comments

• merlin said:
    I had a couple a long time ago and they dried the f**k up. Before that, they left little blobs of cotton all over the neck. I use a spray now and a microfibre cloth. Way better. 
    Yes mine left frayed bits all on the strings . I’m currently using lemon oil sprayed on a bandana now 
    Just peel the banana and rub that straight on; no need for lemon oil then! :D
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 273
    merlin said:
    I had a couple a long time ago and they dried the f**k up. Before that, they left little blobs of cotton all over the neck. I use a spray now and a microfibre cloth. Way better. 
    Yes mine left frayed bits all on the strings . I’m currently using lemon oil sprayed on a bandana now 
    Seems that’s one of the reasons they switched to foam from rolled cotton. Tbh the newer version (assuming they don’t oversaturated it) doesn’t seem like a terrible idea. 

I do wonder whether the vocal minority are complaining and the rest are just getting on with it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10819
    tFB Trader
    Fast Fret just takes me back to having my music shop back in the late 80s/early 90s ... we used to sell truckloads of the stuff! Largely because it did used to dry out all the time. We always used to give a second hand guitar a blast of Fast Fret before letting a potential buyer try it out ... happy days. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5181
    Loobs said:
    I use butter
    And how does it play?
    Use it for a week or two and it's great for Rancid covers.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24687
    I’ve got 2 that have lasted for years. Maybe even a decade.

Just make sure the container is closed properly.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4914
    merlin said:
    I genuinely read that as banana and had to do a double take :)

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9674
    I have one from the early 90s. I used it all the time then, after every gig and rehearsal but stopped at some point. It’s pretty much dry now. I’m sure there are similar if not better options available now.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14599
    Fast ('n' loose) Fret has been supplied in a plastic container, with a plastic applicator for several years.

I, for one, prefer the old metal tin. Upon purchase, I immediately transfer the new applicator and cloth into one of my naturally reliced tins.

In this age of so-called upcycling, the wooden handle can be repurposed as a door or drawer knob.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23242
    merlin said:
    Take it off first, that could sting if you get it in your eyes.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23242
    Tannin said:
    Before posting, I looked on the manufacturer's website, only to discover that they have completely borked the product. It no longer has the rolled cotton applicator (that has been replaced with felt) and it no longer comes in a tin. The customer response has been pretty clear - people hate it.

https://www.ghsstrings.com/products/11464-fast-fret?category_id=1964826-lubricants-cleaners

I've never used it, old or new versions, but I felt a bit sorry for that Jonathan Moody guy trying to respond to all those unhappy customers.  Fair play to him, he's not burying his head in the sand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I use coated strings these days. Quick wipe with a dry cloth seems to do the trick.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NickBNickB Frets: 266
    I have a tin. But haven’t used it in ages….probably because I use elixirs.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 837
    This is something I got from a wise friend of mine

https://i.imgur.com/RdkpQET.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/p0J3d8s.jpg
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1362
    I have some in a tin with the wooden handle. I normally use it before a gig when the strings are feeling a bit too resistant. It's getting a bit dry, wondering if I can just recharge it by dripping some mineral oil into the cotton thing.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19129
    edited April 2023
    jaymenon said:

I might query the wisdom & maths of someone that can't spell 'White' twice in a sentence.
    On the positive side, he got aluminium right, so not all bad 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7480
    If you just need something to make the strings feel slippery, rub them down with a cotton cloth then lightly slide the Flash Dash foam sponge up and down the strings.  It's also good for adding a nice shine to the dusty leather shoes you've had to dredge out of the bottom of your wardrobe for a wedding, funeral, or job interview.

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4177
    edited April 2023
    I suggest a good dousing with a tube of KY jelly.

Edit - sorry, wrong thread.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1469

Pre and post lawsuit models, trade for Bad Monkey. I can’t find the @roberty hand to add in at the moment.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10909
    jaymenon said:

I might query the wisdom & maths of someone that can't spell 'White' twice in a sentence.
    On the positive side, he got aluminium right, so not all bad 
    Most products are made from other products and then sold for a markup, sadly :'(
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom