The demise of Fast Fret

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13575
    roberty said:

Ha, no. Just as well as I've since done a stock take and my guitar count has reached critical levels. I need to rationalise
    good you said "rationalise" and not "downsize" rationalise can mean anything, pretty much ;)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5604

I find it really bizarre that you can tell people these things and they just ignore and carry on buying it. 
    Some sort of weird guitarist denial syndrome. 
    Over the last few years I've spent

* $20,000+ on half a dozen guitars
    * $2000+ on as many different strings as I could find
    * $1000+ on having my right hand fingernails done once a fortnight
    * $500+ on recording equipment I haven't actually used yet. But I will. Really and truly., Cross my heart. (If I can find it.)
    * Maybe $500+ on assorted random accessories such as metronomes, capo, humidifier, etc.
    * $300+ on six good guitar stands and two or three crappy ones
    * $200+ on two good Peterson tuners and one crappy Snark one
    * $100+ on string winders, pliers, thimble, and assorted string-changing tools.
    * $19.99 on Fast Fret.

Yep. Weird guitarist denial syndrome for sure. That bloody Fast Fret is sending me broke.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Tannin said:

I find it really bizarre that you can tell people these things and they just ignore and carry on buying it. 
    Some sort of weird guitarist denial syndrome. 
    Over the last few years I've spent

* $20,000+ on half a dozen guitars
    * $2000+ on as many different strings as I could find
    * $1000+ on having my right hand fingernails done once a fortnight
    * $500+ on recording equipment I haven't actually used yet. But I will. Really and truly., Cross my heart. (If I can find it.)
    * Maybe $500+ on assorted random accessories such as metronomes, capo, humidifier, etc.
    * $300+ on six good guitar stands and two or three crappy ones
    * $200+ on two good Peterson tuners and one crappy Snark one
    * $100+ on string winders, pliers, thimble, and assorted string-changing tools.
    * $19.99 on Fast Fret.

Yep. Weird guitarist denial syndrome for sure. That bloody Fast Fret is sending me broke.

Good for you  :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10912
    Even with the markup it works out to probably a quid a year. And the dealer gets a margin yay
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7541
    That's about 13,335 GBP

• rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 841
    I use it all the time! Can’t live without it! Started with the wooden handle and tin- that eventually dried up. Now I have two plastic ones. I use it before a gig and at half time. Keeps the Elixir strings going for ever too! (Maybe a negative to some though! Lol!)
    My mate hates the stuff must be like marmite- never put it on me toast though! 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5082
    Kirk WIndstein said they they rest of Down used to rib him about using it, until they played with Sabbath and Iommi was using it to. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5604
    I happened to be in my local music shop today, so I bought one of the new ones. Haven't tried it out yet.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3314
    I had a mate who after undertaking work experience in a music shop some 30 years ago, claimed that ‘they sold the stuff, but always wiped the strings down with baby wipes instead’; I remember him almost religiously wiping his strings with baby wipes after playing. Having had two kids and got through a few packs of the things since I can only guess at how corrosive that would be, but it may explain the state of guitar strings in some shops. I’m also a little disappointed that I’ve lost touch with him, I’d be interested to know if he’s moved on from this yet or still doing it.
  • TeflonTeflon Frets: 229
    jaymenon said:
    This is something I got from a wise friend of mine

https://i.imgur.com/RdkpQET.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/p0J3d8s.jpg
    An old thread, I know,  but I remembered reading the above post last year, so when my faithful little stick of FastFret started to get a bit dry, I ordered a 100ml bottle of white mineral oil from Amazon. It arrived today, so I poured some onto the applicator which soaked it up nicely  =) . My Fast Fret is now as good as new, and my bottle of mineral oil is still almost full. I reckon it will last longer than me  :)

Cliff
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19207
    Teflon said:
    jaymenon said:
    This is something I got from a wise friend of mine
    *snip*
    An old thread, I know,  but I remembered reading the above post last year, so when my faithful little stick of FastFret started to get a bit dry, I ordered a 100ml bottle of white mineral oil from Amazon. It arrived today, so I poured some onto the applicator which soaked it up nicely  =) . My Fast Fret is now as good as new, and my bottle of mineral oil is still almost full. I reckon it will last longer than me  :)

Cliff
    Excellent idea & good news.
    I'm bemused that someone with your username actually has to bother with it  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom