PA kit advice - 4 piece pub covers band

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    That's each. So x4
    Then a mixer to support it.

I think I need to look at mixer options.
    My Behringer Xenyx 1202FX has a couple of limitations that I'm aware of...

1. ¼" output jacks only, no XLR
    2. Limited EQ for dealing with feedback
    3. Single aux output mix (though did have left/right so we can run to monitors?)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So, head is currently in the XR18 space. Then I'll just need a sub and another pair of speakers, either as FOH tops or monitors.

So, a question - given my current active speakers are fairly low budget QTXsound 12" ones, should I consider getting something like a pair of RCF 310a instead and use mine as monitors? Or, what about a set of passive speakers and a cheap power amp?
    I need some help with spec for a sub too. 15" seems the likely best option, mainly for transport reasons.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    Up grading your speakers is a good route then using the old ones as monitors great idea but thought you were going in ear! 
    Personally I would suggest a12”” speaker over a 10” for band work every time, and not 15” tops if your going to add a sub. I would recommend HK audio stuff as that’s pretty much all I use except for some Proel. The question is how much are you expecting to pay?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3673
    edited May 2023
    Soundcraft UI24…FTW…

8 aux outs, very clean multitrack recording to USB stick, Web browser based control, rather than apps like Behringer and others.. so no risk of key bits going redundant or incompatible.  HDMI and mouse, for direct control with a mini screen too if iPad fails.

We use mix of floor monitors and 3x IEM and other combinations with different lineups.

upgrade your mains and then repurpose your old ones as floor monitors while you try/decide on IEMs.

The cheapest Behringer IEM unit accepts 1/4” and XLR input and has a mono/stereo switch.   I use Shure SEs, but much prefer real amp and floor monitors anytime I can.

https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Behringer-Powerplay-PM1-In-Ear-Monitor-Belt-Pack/1WMM?origin=product-ads&gclid=CjwKCAjwxr2iBhBJEiwAdXECwxUBPTaOI0NdV0S-txuuh9T0iPJWegtbf378B_ZvWWgCb5goY6tNgRoC85IQAvD_BwE

We run IEM cables with mic cables to the mic stands.. so easy to plug in earphones if singing or doing BVs.  Wireless can be a lot of extra hassle but useful if you run about on very big stages,

We have major problems when the signals are lost with wireless.. happens about one in three gigs when the cheaper 2,4ghz stuff gets into conflict.   Need to pay a lot for decent wireless and have the use case IMO.

Up grading your speakers is a good route then using the old ones as monitors great idea but thought you were going in ear! 
    Personally I would suggest a12”” speaker over a 10” for band work every time, and not 15” tops if your going to add a sub. I would recommend HK audio stuff as that’s pretty much all I use except for some Proel. The question is how much are you expecting to pay?
    IEM seems like it'll be too costly and fiddly. I, personally, don't think I'd like having earplugs in either because I like to hear what's going on around me - though I do use plugs to protect my ears so maybe I'm talking nonsense.

A pair of floor monitors is enough, and we might get them for £300 if we hunt around. IEMs will add the faff for those who change guitars and might cost a similar amount but add cables and other stuff to the setup.

I'm looking at a couple of Alto TX308s on ebay. Even new they are reasonably good value, it seems.

I want to spend less than <£1000:
    • mixer
    • 2x tops
    • sub

I realise this is a tall order, especially if I do go with an XR18 which swallows 60% of the budget.
    I can probably continue with my little Behringer Xenyx 1202FX for the time being, and push funds into tops/monitors and a sub. Though it has limited controls for feedback management (no sweepable mid or graphic EQ).

Or, I'm watching a Behringer X2222USB on ebay which is cheap enough to leave funds for other components of our system.
    I've been offered an RCF M18 for £300.... tempting
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    edited May 2023
    Musicwolf said:
    Already use one for lyrics prompting. Can I also use a MacBook? Android phones?
  • uberscottuberscott Frets: 130
    Not sure about MacBook but the RCFMixer app runs on Android phones, yep. I use an iPad to run the main mix and also tweak my IEM mix on the fly, others in the band use their Android or iOS phones. 

My focus is turning to spec for a sub. I'm told that one sub is enough, and our experience backs that up for regular pub gigs at least.

How important is it to get a good brand? To me they are just big boxes with a hefty speaker inside. I guess a good speaker and solid box is not always a cheap thing.

Wharfedale Titan 15a MK2? £350
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    One sub, certainly a good one, should be enough.  All subs are not made equal.  The cheaper ones are far from even across the working range resulting in 'one note bass'.

Given your budget I wouldn't be trying to stretch it to cover a digital mixer, tops and sub.  I'd at least hold off on the sub until funds allow.
    Perhaps renting a sub for now is the way forward. I think that's an option we've got available to us too.
    How about tops/mains? What is good?

I've got my eye on a pair of Alto TX310 but are they going to have enough power/volume as mains?
    I'll start separate threads, I think. Need specific advice about tops and subs.
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    edited May 2023
    Danny1969 said:
    @bloodandtears ;;;;
    You still need a headphone amp and you need the right kind of cable to convert aux sends .. which are generally balanced differential outputs to single ended outs. 

Alternatively - use a Behringer (eugh!) P2 headphone amp at one or other end of your cable. Switchable for balanced/mono or unbalanced/stereo operation.