Strymon Deco

What's Hot
jfraze5150jfraze5150 Frets: 262
Got one on eBay for £195.

I can’t honestly believe how good this pedal is. My fingers are killing me from playing all day. 

Anyone a fan? Hints, tips or setting recommendations? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Keep playing! 

It’s a superb pedal. I love mine. I use the second tape more than the first but it’s just a great sounding thing whatever you do with it. My favourite stuff is the mod stuff.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • louis_LLMlouis_LLM Frets: 125
    I don’t want to sound dramatic, but I couldn’t imagine life without mine…

I run mine into two amps, with a bit of a slapback effect, paired with a nice drive and/or fuzz… magical!
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    Got one on eBay for £195.

I can’t honestly believe how good this pedal is. My fingers are killing me from playing all day. 

Get a favourite switch for a preset!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 524
    Keep playing! 

It’s a superb pedal. I love mine. I use the second tape more than the first but it’s just a great sounding thing whatever you do with it. My favourite stuff is the mod stuff.
    What do mean by ‘the second tape more than the first’?

I had one - liked it but probably didn’t explore the possibilities enough. Might pick up another at some point. 
  • guyinlyonguyinlyon Frets: 316

A great pedal, but it does not play well with pedals that use a charge pump (Klones). I had to make a choice between my klone and my Dig and the klone won.
    If only I known about the Bad Monkey... :o
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27063
    One of my all time favourites. I don't think there is a single combination of settings that isn't useable. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • 26.2 said:
    Keep playing! 

I had one - liked it but probably didn’t explore the possibilities enough. Might pick up another at some point. 
    It's my understanding that there are two tape decks. One on the left is saturation (the reference deck) and the second, on the right, is a delayed tape deck. "Reference Deck and the delayed Lag Deck". Both can be used in isolation, I just use the delayed deck more.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27063
    I've never actually thought about whether the saturation is added to both signal lines if you have the delay switched on at the same time. 

I agree the delay side is the real magic though. Absolutely incredible
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 524
    edited April 2023
    26.2 said:
    Keep playing! 

It's my understanding that there are two tape decks. One on the left is saturation (the reference deck) and the second, on the right, is a delayed tape deck. "Reference Deck and the delayed Lag Deck". Both can be used in isolation, I just use the delayed deck more.
    Oh I see. I thought that the lag time set the difference between the two tape decks and the blend the relative levels of the signal from each deck. Therefore you get doubling, chorus, slapback, delay etc depending on the lag time. I also thought the saturation was added globally across both signals. I Might need to read the manual! 
  • 26.2 said:
    26.2 said:
    Keep playing! 

Oh I see. I thought that the lag time set the difference between the two tape decks and the blend the relative levels of the signal from each deck. Therefore you get doubling, chorus, slapback, delay etc depending on the lag time. I also thought the saturation was added globally across both signals. I Might need to read the manual! 
    I think we’re both describing the same thing in slightly different ways. The manual describes it as I have above “Reference Deck and the delayed Lag Deck". But yep, strymon manuals are always worth a browse.

• handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    Love the deco. The saturation side is the low gain od sound that I'd been chasing for ages. The V2 is even better with the tone knob and midi.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9547
    Love the deco. The saturation side is the low gain od sound that I'd been chasing for ages. The V2 is even better with the tone knob and midi.
    This 100%.
  • jfraze5150jfraze5150 Frets: 262
    This 100%.
    It's the V1 I got. Why yous gotta give me GAS?

I love it so much though no kidding. I've got a Flint, Deco and Belle Epoch Deluxe in that order at the end of my chain with basically just an OD and a wah in front. You can tell a pedal is good when it means you are using less pedals!
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 463
    I’ve been hunting for a V2 to no avail.  Probably bite the bullet and grab a new one today 
    joeW said:
    I’ve been hunting for a V2 to no avail.  Probably bite the bullet and grab a new one today 
    As said above, the "tape saturation" drive side is SO good, it's booted overdrives off my board. The addition of a tone knob for it would be worth the money I reckon. I'm still enamoured with mine.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2584
    Just about the only modulation effect I've got on with is the retro reel patch on my HXFX. I occasionally consider ditching the HX because I don't really use it for much else. Might check out the Deco....
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    ewal said:
    Just about the only modulation effect I've got on with is the retro reel patch on my HXFX. I occasionally consider ditching the HX because I don't really use it for much else. Might check out the Deco....
    I'm the same with mod effects. I buy them and they don't get used and then they get sold on. The Deco can be so subtle though that it can be left always on which I love. 
  • DoveholesDoveholes Frets: 137
    joeW said:
    As said above, the "tape saturation" drive side is SO good, it's booted overdrives off my board. The addition of a tone knob for it would be worth the money I reckon. I'm still enamoured with mine.
    FWIW, I had the V2 and sold it and went back to a V1. The tone knob was what temped me too, but I quickly realised that the tone of the V1 was already perfect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4704
    Doveholes said:
    joeW said:
    FWIW, I had the V2 and sold it and went back to a V1. The tone knob was what temped me too, but I quickly realised that the tone of the V1 was already perfect.
    Can you get the V2 to sound exactly like the V1?

I’ve been tempted by the Deco for years, really need to scratch the itch
  • I opted for a V1 too, I love it!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom