Strymon Deco

What's Hot

Comments

• joeWjoeW Frets: 463
    Are there any presets on the v1 that I can change via midi ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No, just the favourite switch option. While I appreciate someone’s need for MIDI, the Deco is the last of the strymon pedals on which I’d need it.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27064
    I haven't been tempted by the v2. I haven't ever considered wanting a Tone knob so I'm not going to pay money to get one :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    If a law was passed that said ' Guitarists may only have one pedal '..........This would be it
    I don't have one at the moment but it's the single best pedal I have ever had
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    Interesting, the Flint / Deco combo is what I tend to drift back to.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    So would you generally use it as an overdrive before a preamp type pedal, or afterwards to add a kind of studio tape warmth to the sound?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    I must admit to not really getting the Deco…The saturation/overdrive was nothing special and the delay/chorus/flange was just ok….
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3471
    edited May 2023
    Do you think part of that might be down to what your perception of those things should be? Perhaps, if you don’t mind me saying, overlooking that it is saturation and modulation within the context of what tape would sound like. Which, might put a different slant on things. Whether or not that flavour is for you or not is another matter :-)

• DeftDeft Frets: 30
    I've found the OD is better if you boost into it a little bit rather than turning the saturation up too much, so last in chain for me. Also helps to cut a bit of bass using the secondary control thing, this would probably have been more useful as a physical knob than the tone control on the v2 imo. Weirdly I've also not seen a video yet that demonstrates any discernable difference between the two saturation modes on the v2.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2200
    I would love to have the right hand side only in a smaller pedal.  Although I guess that defeats the point of it a bit.

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    Do you think part of that might be down to what your perception of those things should be? Perhaps, if you don’t mind me saying, overlooking that it is saturation and modulation within the context of what tape would sound like. Which, might put a different slant on things. Whether or not that flavour is for you or not is another matter :-)
    Yes, definitely….I was probably expecting far too much as well…. 
    So would you generally use it as an overdrive before a preamp type pedal, or afterwards to add a kind of studio tape warmth to the sound?
    It’s the latter for me - I use just like a studio preamp to add a little squish to the end of an already/good sound. Plus the gorgeous warbly goodness from the delay side.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4704

So if I get the V2, would I be able to use my HX Stomp XL to control it and recall presets?

Not sure on the practical example of Midi but I feel if I got the V2 I should try to experiment.

• dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 571

So if I get the V2, would I be able to use my HX Stomp XL to control it and recall presets?

Not sure on the practical example of Midi but I feel if I got the V2 I should try to experiment.

You would need a Midi box or similar in order to get the din midi on stomp to talk to the trs midi of the deco but yes you could.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4704

You would need a Midi box or similar in order to get the din midi on stomp to talk to the trs midi of the deco but yes you could.
    Thanks, could be an option further down the line then.

Does anybody have a Deco and Helix?

I blow hot and cold with the Helix Stomp I have, but trying the ADT it sounds pretty good and probably in approximate Deco territory.

Just wondering how they compare.

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7181
    Mine arrived today thanks to @Jproudbass . Currently working from home with bloody covid again so hope to have a change to try it out later 

Thanks, could be an option further down the line then.

Does anybody have a Deco and Helix?

I blow hot and cold with the Helix Stomp I have, but trying the ADT it sounds pretty good and probably in approximate Deco territory.

Just wondering how they compare.

I haven't AB-ed them but the ADT is pretty good to my ears. I still prefer the Deco, partly as I like to be able to change the saturation with my foot occasionally, but it's not a bad place to start if you already have an HX and don't have a Deco already
  • Talking of A/B's...has anyone tried a v1 V v2?

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1679
    Love the deco. The saturation side is the low gain od sound that I'd been chasing for ages. The V2 is even better with the tone knob and midi.
    I have a V1 and it's my fave pedal too.

If you hold both switches and your breath, turn around and touch the ground and say a Hail Mary, I think two of the knobs on the V1 turn into a low pass and high pass tone control or something. I've never got it to work though. Anyone access this occult functionality?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yarp. I think I fiddled with them once and then left them roughly at the defaults.

https://www.strymon.net/secondary-functions-deco/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom