Strymon Deco

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12905
    Its 100% digital. 

Emulates a signal thats too hot going into a tape machine. Its a lovely sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jfraze5150jfraze5150 Frets: 262
    Its basically two pedals in one box.

The left hand side does tape saturation - it's somewhere between a preamp, a compressor, and if you turn the saturation up, it does a lovely overdrive. If I could, I'd have the left hand side in a box on its own. 

The right hand side is another tape emulator, but this time it does tape chorus / tape flange / slapback / tape echo, and some sounds in between those like double tracking and vibrato. 

You can run the two sides into a single amp in mono or into separate amps in stereo. 

Me too. I prefer my Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe for the tape delay sounds, not really bothered about a flanger. If I could have the left side of the deco on its own. The compressy sound is just perfect. 
  • stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 176
    Thank you for the detailed info guys, checking more demos now and it's on the radar for sure.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27064
    Its basically two pedals in one box.

The left hand side does tape saturation - it's somewhere between a preamp, a compressor, and if you turn the saturation up, it does a lovely overdrive. If I could, I'd have the left hand side in a box on its own. 

The right hand side is another tape emulator, but this time it does tape chorus / tape flange / slapback / tape echo, and some sounds in between those like double tracking and vibrato. 

You can run the two sides into a single amp in mono or into separate amps in stereo. 

Me too. I prefer my Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe for the tape delay sounds, not really bothered about a flanger. If I could have the left side of the deco on its own. The compressy sound is just perfect. 
    Don’t think of it as a tape delay - it’s not really one other than an ok-ish slapback. 

Where that side excels is in the old tape-flange/chorus/doubling sounds that were so popular in studio records in the late 60s & early 70s. It nails that vibe so perfectly 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Its basically two pedals in one box.

Don’t think of it as a tape delay - it’s not really one other than an ok-ish slapback. 

Where that side excels is in the old tape-flange/chorus/doubling sounds that were so popular in studio records in the late 60s & early 70s. It nails that vibe so perfectly 
    Spot on.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    How many of you Deco fans are running it into two amps and how many in mono? 

• Finally got one, a V2.  Only played it for 10 mins into my Spark Mini but sounded great.  I’ve wanted one for ages.
    There’s not many pedals you try and straight away you know they are a keeper but the Deco definitely is.

• Finally got one, a V2.  Only played it for 10 mins into my Spark Mini but sounded great.  I’ve wanted one for ages.
    There’s not many pedals you try and straight away you know they are a keeper but the Deco definitely is.
    Love mine…a firmware update came out yesterday.

• So if I get the V2, would I be able to use my HX Stomp XL to control it and recall presets?

Not sure on the practical example of Midi but I feel if I got the V2 I should try to experiment.

You would need a Midi box or similar in order to get the din midi on stomp to talk to the trs midi of the deco but yes you could.
    Thanks, could be an option further down the line then.

Does anybody have a Deco and Helix?

I blow hot and cold with the Helix Stomp I have, but trying the ADT it sounds pretty good and probably in approximate Deco territory.

Just wondering how they compare.

Answering my own question here.

I like both, ultimately the Deco is more immediate for me and I think it edges ut sound wise, but the Helix is a tweakers delight and does sound great.  No doubt with more tweaking it would be super close.

Helix does many things well but the Deco get’s me to a happier place with knobs to twiddle and every setting sounds great.

Really liking the cassette saturation mode as well.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4704

So, this seems to have become an always on pedal for me.  Wasn't so much with my tweed deluxe, but with my new Emprize (35w 6L6 Vibrolux/Vibroverb type circuit) I'm finding the saturation site just makes the cleans, or almost cleans, sound perfect.

With that side always on I also use the chorus, which is great, and also the doubletracking at various times.

Definitely thinking about midi now, would be cool to have the following:-

Chorus
    Flange
    Doubletrack
    Slap
    Random tape wobble/vibrato

Anybody gone the midi route?

• Yep - have all of those settings you have above and a few drive options being controlled by an MC3 - works well.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom