The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    In that case I shall raise a glass to Mr. Button.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    I don't really understand the "development tokens" thing, but what if Honda just ignored them and developed their engine more than the tokens allowed? So they might get disqualified in every race, but if they aren't going to get any points any way, what is there to lose?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Jeremiah said:
    I don't really understand the "development tokens" thing, but what if Honda just ignored them and developed their engine more than the tokens allowed? So they might get disqualified in every race, but if they aren't going to get any points any way, what is there to lose?
    No prize money, the bad PR from being called cheats ....

Some good racing in Russia today ... good to see Kimi on fire  for a change. F1 could get tasty next year with a Hamilton v Vettel battle. Ferrari reckon they have some major developments coming down the line - I wonder if they're courtesy of the Haas team.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Apart from the crashes, and what have you, I very nearly didn't bother for the first time ever. Man, I think i'm wasting my time.

• Did anyone watch the touring cars ?
    I wanted Plato to win , but hats off to Sheddon . You want to see some serious stuff catch the rerun of the final race.
    Now that is racing !
  • Did anyone watch the touring cars ?
    I wanted Plato to win , but hats off to Sheddon . You want to see some serious stuff catch the rerun of the final race.
    Now that is racing !
    After staying up for the Bathurst 1000 and the WEC from Fuji and the F1, I've still got the Blancpain Sprint and the BTCC to watch. Tomorrow looks likely as I feel a bit overwhelmed by the cars. 

Russia was interesting thanks to the safety car jiggling strategies around. 

• Think you will enjoy it. :-)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12374
    edited October 2015
    Russia was ok, would've been better if Britney hadn't had to retire though, we might have seen some racing at the front rather than just for 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Bet Bottas had a few words to say to Kimi at the end, never seen him so kamikaze!

Kimikaze.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Planet F1 reporting that Bernie's ready to force the teams back to using V8's. Maybe the exodus of viewers is starting to have an effect on the old bastard.

Planet F1 reporting that Bernie's ready to force the teams back to using V8's. Maybe the exodus of viewers is starting to have an effect on the old bastard.

Won't happen. Mercedes, Honda and Renault have said they'd walk away. F1 has to be relevant to car making for these firms to remain. The engines aren't the problem - a bit of tweaking for more noise and they'll be OK. Bernie needs to get the aero changed so cars can follow each other and tyres that can last a whole GP. No pit stops unless you get a puncture or damage. Load the cars up with fuel and run them flat out - no fuel saving mode - you'll get more action, crashes and engine blow-ups.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268

Hopefuly they'd bill the old bastard for a few billion for engines they can't sell that were developed for 'his' sport then.
    Hmmm. I suppose if you had a quid for every time Bernie came out with a complete piece of verbal shit, you'd be nearly as rich as he is! I can't see it happening, either.

What a washout!

Qualifying at 0900 local, highlights at 17.00 on BBC, so I see.

The beginning of the end for F1 ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/34629481

Maybe there IS some fire in amongst the smoke, then.

I still find it hard to believe that the car manufacturers, with all their resources and testing facilities, appear to be relying on a couple of F1 cars circulating around a track 18 times a year for all their research and development into engine technology. And given that is sometimes subject to change, it makes it all the more unbelievable.

Maybe there IS some fire in amongst the smoke, then.

I still find it hard to believe that the car manufacturers, with all their resources and testing facilities, appear to be relying on a couple of F1 cars circulating around a track 18 times a year for all their research and development into engine technology. And given that is sometimes subject to change, it makes it all the more unbelievable.

With the green lobby active it's more about being seen to be relevant to shareholders who view F1 as an expensive distraction - big thirsty environmentally destructive V8s will be bad for PR and may get the EU involved again. The Mercedes chairman had a major fight to get Mercedes into F1 with most of the board wanting to stay out and then wanting to leave when the team wasn't winning. If Bernie opts for big V8s made on the cheap F1 will become a European-based version of Indycars.

Bernie should remove the cap the engine development to give Renault and Honda a chance to catchup and attract new manufacturers into F1. The FIA should approach a firm like Cosworth to build an F1 customer engine. Cosworth could licence technology from Mercedes/Ferrari to speed up development and maybe look at F1 as a two tier sport with the smaller teams racing each other to win a lower tiered division.

edited October 2015
    Yes, but he's now on about V6 engines, but larger capacity, a lot simpler, as far as I can make out. It has to be cheaper and simpler, and if they do what you've alluded to, i.e. get someone like Cosworth invlolved, then it would be just that. I reckon that the hybrid thing is just a sop to the greens, and should be dropped in favour of a larger, fuel efficient unit.