The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FX_Munkee said:
    Curious to see what they do, as they've engineered themselves into a corner. The reason the turbo is so small is because they put it in the "V" of the engine, so the rear of the car could be as small as possible. So they either make it bigger and change it's location (major) or change the rear of the car (major). Of course they could keep it the same size and get it to spin at 130,000 rpm instead of 110,000 rpm like they always said they were going to, but I suspect physics might have something to say about that.
    More revs = more heat = more chance of everything going pop. 
    Fretwired said:
    Rosberg will stuff it as he always does as he just lacks confidence .. he's lost it and can can see him being binned by Mercedes or joining another team.
    Mercedes won't bin him whilst there's no German driver around good enough to take his place as having a German within the team is important to them, as shown by their efforts to bring Pascal Wehrlein on. The young chap won the DTM this year, beating some very decent names along the way, and one hopes Manor will make room for him next year. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

FX_Munkee said:
    Curious to see what they do, as they've engineered themselves into a corner. The reason the turbo is so small is because they put it in the "V" of the engine, so the rear of the car could be as small as possible. So they either make it bigger and change it's location (major) or change the rear of the car (major). Of course they could keep it the same size and get it to spin at 130,000 rpm instead of 110,000 rpm like they always said they were going to, but I suspect physics might have something to say about that.
    More revs = more heat = more chance of everything going pop. 
    Fretwired said:
    Rosberg will stuff it as he always does as he just lacks confidence .. he's lost it and can can see him being binned by Mercedes or joining another team.
    Mercedes won't bin him whilst there's no German driver around good enough to take his place as having a German within the team is important to them, as shown by their efforts to bring Pascal Wehrlein on. The young chap won the DTM this year, beating some very decent names along the way, and one hopes Manor will make room for him next year. 

The Mercedes board will want to continue to dominate in 2016 - that means 1-2 finishes. I think Vettel will spoil that - he's better than Rosberg (who is average in my opinion and can't handle the pressure) and if Ferrari improve we'll see Hamilton and Vettel fighting for top slot. And as far fetched as it sounds Honda could be in the mix with Alonso - they have a good engine. They just need to fix the turbo which could be done with unlimited development over the winter which Bernie will back in return for Honda supplying engines to Red Bull - so they could be in the mix. Rosberg could suddenly find himself in trouble as he is useless in wheel to wheel action.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:
    But isn't the rumour Manor will become a driver feeder for Mercedes like Torro Rosso is for Red Bull. Aston Martin are rumoured to want to enter F1 and since they use Merc engines in their cars and Mercedes owns a chunk of the company that could be a good move. I lnow Aston have been linked with Force India as well.
    Who knows at this point. Sounds like the current owner of Manor has no interest in racing beyond what they need to do to get their prize money, but who knows. Maybe Merc will buy them (wouldn't cost much!) and run a full B-team. That would be excellent. 

Sounds as if the Force India thing is virtually a done deal, which has to be a good thing. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Fretwired said:
    The Mercedes board will want to continue to dominate in 2016 - that means 1-2 finishes. I think Vettel will spoil that - he's better than Rosberg (who is average in my opinion and can't handle the pressure) and if Ferrari improve we'll see Hamilton and Vettel fighting for top slot. And as far fetched as it sounds Honda could be in the mix with Alonso - they have a good engine. They just need to fix the turbo which could be done with unlimited development over the winter which Bernie will back in return for Honda supplying engines to Red Bull - so they could be in the mix. Rosberg could suddenly find himself in trouble as he is useless in wheel to wheel action.
    Nothing is more important than the Constructors Championship for a team. Even if Vettel breaks into that second spot behind Hamilton, Rosberg is a long way ahead of Kimi who has half the points of Rosberg right now. 

If Ferrari improve, if Honda get better, if we have unlimited development, if we do this that and the other... sure, everyone else could improve. But Mercedes are not going to sit back on their laurels. If Honda got granted unlimited development over the winter in exchange for supplying Red Bull, Mercedes would demand the same right as they already supply three other teams outside of Mercedes. 

edited November 2015
    Fretwired said:
    Nothing is more important than the Constructors Championship for a team. Even if Vettel breaks into that second spot behind Hamilton, Rosberg is a long way ahead of Kimi who has half the points of Rosberg right now. 

If Ferrari improve, if Honda get better, if we have unlimited development, if we do this that and the other... sure, everyone else could improve. But Mercedes are not going to sit back on their laurels. If Honda got granted unlimited development over the winter in exchange for supplying Red Bull, Mercedes would demand the same right as they already supply three other teams outside of Mercedes. 

Unlimited development will apply to all teams including Mercedes - Renault and Honda can seriously improve but the law of diminishing returns will apply to Mercedes. Red Bull have the best car by a country mile. A decent power unit and they will be up there as will McLaren and Ferrari. Bernie won't want Red Bull to leave .. he's not that fond of Mercedes so won't be too bothered about upsetting them. His ideal package would be Hamilton in a Red Bull powsered by a powerful Honda engine.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Fretwired said:

Business as usual, but let's hope Rosberg doesn't stuff it up in the race.

As for the Mac's, they might as well just go down the pub, and have done with it.

I was impressed Malfunctionado DIDN'T stuff it in quali.

As for Rosberg, the jury's still out for me. I reckon he could well be on for a win.

• Wouldn't merc like a one two in the championship.
    Would hamster help Britney....
    I guess not...
    Fretwired said:

Business as usual, but let's hope Rosberg doesn't stuff it up in the race.

As for the Mac's, they might as well just go down the pub, and have done with it.

I was impressed Malfunctionado DIDN'T stuff it in quali.

As for Rosberg, the jury's still out for me. I reckon he could well be on for a win.

Hamilton has stuffed him a few times from second place and this is a long run down to turn one so I expect Hamilton to be ultra aggressive after Rosberg's criticisms. It's supposed to be motor racing and Hamilton's hero, Senna, would just go out and stuff Rosberg so that's what Hamilton will do .. I'll go for a Hamilton win. He has no pressure on him whereas Rosberg's obviously still smarting over getting stuffed at the start and then throwing the win away in the closing stages. And I wouldn't discount Vettel.

Wouldn't merc like a one two in the championship.
    Would hamster help Britney....
    I guess not...
    Not after Rosberg's comments. Rosberg's a good one lap man and a poor racer.

• Fretwired said:
    Unlimited development will apply to all teams including Mercedes - Renault and Honda can seriously improve but the law of diminishing returns will apply to Mercedes. Red Bull have the best car by a country mile. A decent power unit and they will be up there as will McLaren and Ferrari. Bernie won't want Red Bull to leave .. he's not that fond of Mercedes so won't be too bothered about upsetting them. His ideal package would be Hamilton in a Red Bull powsered by a powerful Honda engine.
    Yes, Renault and Honda can seriously improve. When you're starting from the position of 'complete shit', there's plenty of scope for serious improvement. 

Bernie might not be fond of Mercedes but 40% of his grid use their engines so they are an integral part of the current F1 scene. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    What a crap track ....

• Boring ....
    They've ruined the Mansell corner .. the designers should have left this high speed corner .. Mansell overtook at over 190 mph .. real racing.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Boring race. Nice track layout though, liked the idea of the grandstand arena section.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4701
    Trying to recall the race this morning, I can't, as it was so boring.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.

Crap track indeed.

Mind you, it was good to see Rosberg take the win. Like what I predicted. Well, almost.

Bottas taking Raikkonen out was the highlight of the event. Payback, or what?

:D

Crap track indeed.

Mind you, it was good to see Rosberg take the win. Like what I predicted. Well, almost.

Rosberg couldn't be overtaken .. as soon as Hamilton got within a second he was forced back .. and the Mercs were in a class of their own, and Ferrari had a bad day at the office - a total waste of two hours. Had the old Mansell corner still be there then we would have seen which drivers had balls of steel.

Fretwired said:

Crap track indeed.

Rosberg couldn't be overtaken .. as soon as Hamilton got within a second he was forced back .. and the Mercs were in a class of their own, and Ferrari had a bad day at the office - a total waste of two hours. Had the old Mansell corner still be there then we would have seen which drivers had balls of steel.

Best you go back to bed, and get out on the right side next time!

Frustration for Alonso yet again, too. How much more is he going to stomach?

Frustration for Alonso yet again, too. How much more is he going to stomach?
    He has to find somewhere to go first .. apparently they new about the fault the day before and that he'd only get a lap or two for the sponsors. You have to wonder how much Honda will put up with this - there must be a point at which they cut their losses and head home.