The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Yes, but he's now on about V6 engines, but larger capacity, a lot simpler, as far as I can make out. It has to be cheaper and simpler, and if they do what you've alluded to, i.e. get someone like Cosworth invlolved, then it would be just that. I reckon that the hybrid thing is just a sop to the greens, and should be dropped in favour of a larger, fuel efficient unit.
    And the EU mandarins ... F1 has to be green.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Worth watching the BBC highlights .. brilliant race .. lots of action ..

• Had to listen on five live...
    What a tough race. Just shows that you should never give up.
    Look forward to watch it and the Moto gp tomorrow . Want to see the "doctor" and his kick...
  • Difficult to keep up with that one.  Action all the way.   Great ending though.

Rosberg's a total arsehole .. what a bad loser ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1562
    Fretwired;831407" said:
    Rosberg's a total arsehole .. what a bad loser ...
    I couldn't agree more, terrible behaviour and if you saw bbc's highlights like I did then we apparently didn't see the half of it.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    A very good race, just shows what an effect the weather can have, eh? Shame the title is still not open, but hey ho.

• Fretwired said:Rosberg's a total arsehole .. what a bad loser ... 
    What, like this guy earlier in the season? 

Good on Rosberg. I'd have thrown that hat back as well. 

Lots of action but you'd expect that with limited practice, a delayed qualifying, limited slick running, and shit weather. 

edited October 2015
    Ha ha .. I loved this ..

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1562

Sour Kraut!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27014
    I missed the second half as timezones meant I fell asleep, but from what I saw it was a really great race, and a deserved result for Lewis. 

Nico has shown throughout the season that he's every bit the Webber to Hamilton's Vettel. Great driver, easily capable of winning multiple races and would probably have won at least one title in 2014/2015 alongside most other teammates (except probably Ham, Seb, Fred and maybe JB), but ultimately just not that last 0.5% that pushes him into real champion material, and especially so this year where everything has clicked so well for Lewis. 

Looking forward to AD. I have 3 day tickets for the first time so will be lining up for as many meet & greets as I can on the Friday :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited October 2015
    Fretwired said:Rosberg's a total arsehole .. what a bad loser ... 
    What, like this guy earlier in the season? 

Good on Rosberg. I'd have thrown that hat back as well. 

Lots of action but you'd expect that with limited practice, a delayed qualifying, limited slick running, and shit weather. 

There's no excuse for that either, but he had just lost a race due his a miscalculation by his team which gifted Rosberg a win. Hamilton just won the championship and Rosberg sits there looking like a smacker arse. I wonder how much longer Mercedes will put up with his mistakes, moaning and moody behaviour. There are plenty of young guys coming through who'd offer Hamilton some serious competition.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12372
    edited October 2015
    To be fair Rosberg has had the shitty end of the stick in terms of mechanical faults and should have scored more points this season. But yeah, he acted like a spoilt toddler yesterday.

Great race, the best this season IMO. Good to see Red Bull on terms with the Ferrari and Merc again, even better to see Jenson and Fred getting a decent race at last.
  • Fretwired said:
    There's no excuse for that either, but he had just lost a race due his a miscalculation by his team which gifted Rosberg a win. Hamilton just won the championship and Rosberg sits there looking like a smacker arse. I wonder how much longer Mercedes will put up with his mistakes, moaning and moody behaviour. There are plenty of young guys coming through who'd offer Hamilton some serious competition.
    The communications between Hamilton and Mercedes leading to that pit stop made it fairly clear that it wasn't purely a miscalculation from those in the pit lane. Mercedes will put up with it as long as they keep bringing home individual and team titles and as long as Rosberg can stomach being second. 

Fretwired said:
    The communications between Hamilton and Mercedes leading to that pit stop made it fairly clear that it wasn't purely a miscalculation from those in the pit lane. Mercedes will put up with it as long as they keep bringing home individual and team titles and as long as Rosberg can stomach being second. 

But the pit lane told Hamiton that the other drivers would pit - they didn't.

As for Rosberg it's fine while Merc have a technical advantage but with Ferrari making great strides I can see the days of Mercedes getting one, two finishes are numbered. I don't think Rosberg is that good - he has three race wins which is the same as Vettel. Alonso, Vettel and Ricciardo are better than Rosberg and if Ferrari close the gap Kimi could be giving Rosberg a shakedown.

• Fretwired said:

As for Rosberg it's fine while Merc have a technical advantage but with Ferrari making great strides I can see the days of Mercedes getting one, two finishes are numbered. I don't think Rosberg is that good - he has three race wins which is the same as Vettel. Alonso, Vettel and Ricciardo are better than Rosberg and if Ferrari close the gap Kimi could be giving Rosberg a shakedown.
    Rosberg leads Vettel 11-6 in head to head results this year and would have comfortably had more wins without some technical issues. 
    At Monaco, Hamilton himself had assumed Rosberg had pitted, hence his panic about tyres. After the race:

"“I saw a screen, it looked like the team was out and I thought that Nico had pitted,” said Hamilton. “Obviously I couldn’t see the guys behind so I thought the guys behind were pitting.” “The team said to stay out, I said ‘these tyres are going to drop in temperature,’ and what I was assuming was that these guys would be on [super-soft] and I was on the harder tyre.” “So they said to pit. Without thinking I came in with full confidence that the others had done the same.”

Peter Bonnington told Hamilton to stay out several times. As Hamilton started get flappy about his tyres, eventually the call was made to come in at a time when the marshalling system was down. 

Did Mercedes make a mistake? Yes. Did Hamilton? Yes.

Fretwired said:

Rosberg leads Vettel 11-6 in head to head results this year and would have comfortably had more wins without some technical issues. 

At Monaco, Hamilton himself had assumed Rosberg had pitted, hence his panic about tyres. After the race:

"“I saw a screen, it looked like the team was out and I thought that Nico had pitted,” said Hamilton. “Obviously I couldn’t see the guys behind so I thought the guys behind were pitting.” “The team said to stay out, I said ‘these tyres are going to drop in temperature,’ and what I was assuming was that these guys would be on [super-soft] and I was on the harder tyre.” “So they said to pit. Without thinking I came in with full confidence that the others had done the same.”

Peter Bonnington told Hamilton to stay out several times. As Hamilton started get flappy about his tyres, eventually the call was made to come in at a time when the marshalling system was down. 

Did Mercedes make a mistake? Yes. Did Hamilton? Yes.

I don't disagree but Bonnington was also to blame. You'll notice that these days the Mercedes engineers tell the drivers exactly what to do as happened yesterday with both Rosberg and Hamilton.

My point about Vettel is the improvement made by Ferrari in the latter part of the season - Vettel is clearly a better driver than Rosberg (he hunted him down yesterday) and Ferrari and probably Renault will catch up with Mercedes at some point. Rosberg's had some technical issues but so has Vettel. And haven't Rosberg and Hamilton had one retirement a piece this year?

• ...which is why I apportioned blame to both pitlane crew and driver rather than saying 'Lewis lost because his team miscalculated'. Failure both sides of the armco for me. Of course they do things differently. That was the point of the many meetings they had post-Monaco. 

Ferrari have improved in the second half of the season. Vettel clearly being a better driver than Rosberg - on raw talent, probably. People query Rosberg's mistakes under pressure: yesterday was reminiscent of Vettel's mistake at Montreal to allow Button through to win. Rosberg is a decent driver, no doubt about that. Whether he has quite the arrogance to be a championship winner is debatable. 

This seems harsh ... Rosberg should have started better ... if the stewards didn't have a problem then Toto should leave well alone as the Hamilton/Rosberg racing incidents are often all we have to look at .. racing should be aggressive within reason.

http://planetf1.com/news/merc-to-take-action-after-us-clash/

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    What are they going to do? Take their toys away?