The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27083
    I have no problem with the radio rules, as that whole thing was a large part of yesterday's entertainment and I want Rosberg for the title this year. Surprised they don't have a "reset to factory settings" kind of button though, as that sounds like it would be useful.

I have to agree with the Sky guys that they'd have been better telling Ham what to do and getting a penalty, but as he's 1 set of black points away from an actual penalty I guess they didn't want to risk it. 

As for Sky, I also thought Paul DiResta has got much better at commentary after a shitty performance in some previous tries. His insight into the modes and mappings and "looks like he's broken that specific component" stuff was very good. AND he's learnt to say "Ricciardo" properly :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Wolff complaining that radio rules should be reviewed. There's a surprise.
    I agree with him for technical issues with the space age steering wheels. We were robbed of a good potential fight between Mercedes, Force India and Ferrari because a technical boffin failed to program Hamilton's car properly.

What I didn't like was all the driver help that the teams gave .. driver A is quicker in corner 2 than you, you can gain 1/10th second in corner 3, we think team A are doing a two stop race and so on. That should remain banned.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Next year's race could be at night .... now that would be a challenge.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Smacks of desperation to me.

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Fretwired said:
    Be nice if it was in Europe too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    Republic of Azerbaijan is a country in the Transcaucasian region, situated at the crossroads of south west Asia and south eastern Europe - technially Baku is in Europe (apparently).

Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    Republic of Azerbaijan is a country in the Transcaucasian region, situated at the crossroads of south west Asia and south eastern Europe - technially Baku is in Europe (apparently).

No doubt they'll be wanting to join the EU very soon.

Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

No doubt they'll be wanting to join the EU very soon.

On the list already ... along with China.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    With any luck they'll be a space for them come Friday.

• hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    edited June 2016
    Did anyone else notice the big guitar sign on the side of the building going around the Baku city circuit!
    At 1.30 in this youtube vid you can see it on the right hand side. Guitar shop!

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    I have no problem with the radio rules, as that whole thing was a large part of yesterday's entertainment and I want Rosberg for the title this year. Surprised they don't have a "reset to factory settings" kind of button though, as that sounds like it would be useful.

I've seen a few say this- call me old fashioned but I'd rather see 3 people fight for the last podium spot than have two nobbled by being unable to fix fucked cars and one of them having a ridiculous time penalty added on top.

I just want to see a fucking race, because of those ridiculous radio rules we lost 2 guys that had a legitimate shot for the win, we lost 4 guys because  those cunts at Pirelli cannot make tyres of an acceptable standard. The Parc Ferme rules are shit, the parts longevity rules are shit, the radio rule is shit, the tyre rules are shit and Pirelli are shit. I don't normally mind RBR and Mclaren having egg on their faces but having that with all of the above on Sunday was just too much.

Azerbaijan must be wondering what their $70m actually got them, if I was the President I'd want my money back, F1 made a very big promise that it couldn't keep because of its stupid rules. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    FFS get off the fence, Garthy!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27083
    edited June 2016
    Pirelli are doing what they've been asked to, it's just that what they're asked to do is make shitty tyres.

Longevity rules I agree with you- the penalties for engine blow ups and gearbox changes mean teams can't take as many chances, and combined with the token system means Honda (and previously Renault) can't afford to try new things and find out what works cos if they change something and it's worse they're fucked. Which makes development FAR more expensive cos everything needs to be tested a HUGE amount on a dyno before putting it in a car, and then they STILL find it doesn't work.

I don't mind the radio stuff though. What needs to change is how ludicrously complex the cars are to operate. All this hybrid stuff is fascinating it id sooner see the drivers allowed one big engine mode dial, one big brake balance dial, a screen for readouts showing fuel level, temps, pressures and hybrid info, and let everything else be controlled through their right foot.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Although I'd like the penalties for changing a gear box etc applied post race and only to the constructors points - that way we get to see the best cars and drivers race.

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Nowhere in the technical or sporting regulations does it specify fucking stupid tyres. Pirelli's Motorsport CV is awful, they have never been the tyre of choice by competitors in any Motorsport unless there was a financial motive to use them. They are the Pastor Maldonarsehole of competition tyres. The odd thing is their road tyres are fantastic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Garthy said:
    I just want to see a fucking race, because of those ridiculous radio rules we lost 2 guys that had a legitimate shot for the win, we lost 4 guys because  those cunts at Pirelli cannot make tyres of an acceptable standard. The Parc Ferme rules are shit, the parts longevity rules are shit, the radio rule is shit, the tyre rules are shit and Pirelli are shit. I don't normally mind RBR and Mclaren having egg on their faces but having that with all of the above on Sunday was just too much.
    This. It's so dull. If you're having to find your enjoyment of a sport in the technicalities or interpretation of a rule the you've lost.

As my missus put it the other day - "How the hell can the best drivers in the world doing 200mph be this dull?"
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Garthy;1120244" said:
    stickyfiddle said:

I've seen a few say this- call me old fashioned but I'd rather see 3 people fight for the last podium spot than have two nobbled by being unable to fix fucked cars and one of them having a ridiculous time penalty added on top.

Azerbaijan must be wondering what their $70m actually got them, if I was the President I'd want my money back, F1 made a very big promise that it couldn't keep because of its stupid rules. 
    Brilliant post @Garthy.

I'd like my chosen sport (F1) back someday. Doubtful it'll ever happen :(

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Downforce.

Ban it.
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    By which I mean the ludicrous amounts they currently have. Go to one single wing at each end. No add ons, fins or anything.

Take out any need for fuel saving. It's F1. It should be balls out for the race.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    OK - here's the thing: Trying to watch the highlights on C4 COD is unbearable - there are upwards of 6 AD breaks and each at a point where you want to FForward to to get the the meat and miss the flub... I calculated that in what was approx 55mins of coverage that the BBC would give on iPlayer/BBC3 you have to endure around 45mins of ADs on C4 for same content...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>