The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    So everything in their pipeline is still complete shit then, I guess. I do wonder if it's Honda's decision to withdraw completely, or Sauber pulling out of their deal. With Kaltenborn out and Vasseur coming in it's pretty clear the new owners want to move forward, and taking Honda engines is hardly likely to make that happen. 

Bad for the short term, but good for McLaren, and good for the long term as it'll be exactly the catalyst that forces everyone to be sensible on the next engine regs. Brawn will have all the ammunition he needs to make it work.
    I still like the idea of an FIA engine. The smaller teams could club together and get a company like Cosworth to make a generic engine which would lower their running costs and make entry into F1 cheaper for new teams.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    Fretwired said:
    Hopefully. They're an embarrasment to Japan. Constant promises of improvements that never come is very poor form on any level. They have fundamental design and engineering issues that they are clearly incapable of solving and are yet too proud to ask McLaren's engineers for help. 
    Fretwired said:
    So everything in their pipeline is still complete shit then, I guess. I do wonder if it's Honda's decision to withdraw completely, or Sauber pulling out of their deal. With Kaltenborn out and Vasseur coming in it's pretty clear the new owners want to move forward, and taking Honda engines is hardly likely to make that happen. 

Bad for the short term, but good for McLaren, and good for the long term as it'll be exactly the catalyst that forces everyone to be sensible on the next engine regs. Brawn will have all the ammunition he needs to make it work.
    I still like the idea of an FIA engine. The smaller teams could club together and get a company like Cosworth to make a generic engine which would lower their running costs and make entry into F1 cheaper for new teams.
    While not FIA sanctioned it sort of happened in the late 90s with the Supertec engines. I seem to remember Bernie put a deal together to supply lower teams with a cost effective engine. It hamstrung the teams that used it because it wasn't developed at the rate the top engines. I'd expect that to be the case with a generic FIA unit. 

At least with back of the grid teams using top engines it keeps them reasonably in contention and they can pick up the odd point here and there. I quite like it as it keeps the works teams honest - Red Bull are pissing all over Renault from a great height with the same engine. That's a motivator for Renault. The problem is the distribution of the money in F1 and Ferarri's 'grandee' status. Perhaps Liberty will be brave enough to force the changes there?

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    Let's be honest - McLaren will be talking to all three suppliers trying to get as much info as possible from, and the cheapest price, from each one. But they'll end up with Mercedes.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Given the way the regs are going McLaren will more likely build their own. The new board wants to expand the road car production so having an F1 engine makes sense marketing wise - look at Ferrari. They have the in-house skills and could easily recruit further talent. It's a question of cash. In the short term my bet is a deal with Mercedes to steady the ship.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

I reckon McLaren will ditch Honda and go for Merc engines. I cannot see Ferrari supplying them.

Honda needs to face the fact that they've failed dismally this time around, and it won't be long before we hear the sound of hara-kiri swords being sharpened.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1303
    Fretwired said: 
    Given the way the regs are going McLaren will more likely build their own. The new board wants to expand the road car production so having an F1 engine makes sense marketing wise - look at Ferrari. They have the in-house skills and could easily recruit further talent. It's a question of cash. In the short term my bet is a deal with Mercedes to steady the ship.
    Quite right, McLaren today is different animal to the McLaren with whom Honda partnered in the Senna/Prost days.
    They are a genuine manufacturer/factory team and to not use their own engines is like Ferrari using Renault.  It will happen soon enough. (But probably not soon enough).
    edited July 2017
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40587621

Another successful test for Kubica and he's probably going to test this year's car in Hungary in 2 weeks. Surely it's only a matter of time before he's announced as a full driver for 2018. Who'd have thought it? I'll be very very happy for him if he makes it.

If he does it and somehow manages a title he'll be a legend...
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422

Another successful test for Kubica and he's probably going to test this year's car in Hungary in 2 weeks. Surely it's only a matter of time before he's announced as a full driver for 2018. Who'd have thought it? I'll be very very happy for him if he makes it.

I thought it wasn't possible for him to get a Super License without competing in another series first? 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:

I thought it wasn't possible for him to get a Super License without competing in another series first? 
    He's already had one, so he doesn't have to have accumulated points elsewhere to qualify. Apparently.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I have it on good authority that if he did get a drive next year, he couldn't drive Monaco as his hand simply cannot accommodate the steering angle required
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4822
    edited July 2017
    Yeah was just gonna say that, I wish him well but not sure he will make it under current regs. He hasn't driven a 2017 car yet either and they're physically tougher to drive.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

I was going to make some stupid remark about him being in Pole position, but decided against it.

So, who do we think for pole, and for the win?

As much as I hate to say it, I reckon Hamster is in the pound seats this time.

Ham, boringly. It's never been a good race for Vettel, has it? Though good for the title fight I guess. 

Ricciardo will struggle to make it 6 podiums in a row I think.
    edited July 2017

Anyone fancy a bet on whether McLaren will last the distance?

Oh, I just checked the forecast, and it's giving possible showers on Saturday morning.

edited July 2017
    Ham, boringly. It's never been a good race for Vettel, has it? Though good for the title fight I guess. 

Hamilton on pole, Vettel second, Bottas third, Kimi fourth and Ricciardro fifth ... Kimi and Bottas collide at the first corner, Vettel slams into Hamilton on lap 2 under the DRS and the world's favourite Aussie cruises to victory as Mad Max's engine blows up ...

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22137
    Fretwired said:

Hamilton on pole, Vettel second, Bottas third, Kimi fourth and Ricciardro fifth ... Kimi and Bottas collide at the first corner, Vettel slams into Hamilton on lap 2 under the DRS and the world's favourite Aussie cruises to victory as Mad Max's engine blows up ...

They've replaced Ricciardo with Kylie? 

Fretwired said:

They've replaced Ricciardo with Kylie? 

Sadly Kylie's not in the top 10.

So if not Kylie in the top ten, who is?

DannyRic
    Mark Webber
    Hugh Jackman
    Chris Hemsworth
    Steven Irwin
    Malcolm Young
    Angus Young
    Harold from Neighbours

That's 8 but I'm struggling with Kylie. Errr.. Rolf?   :s