The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• The new McLaren is VERY orange..!

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's a a bit much under studio lighting, but I think it looks really great here: 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    It's a a bit much under studio lighting, but I think it looks really great here: 

It will look good on TV.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4920
    About bloody time they dragged the orange out again

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• Yup. I think it's got hints of "stegosaurus" too :D 

I really hope it's quick. I even like their team kit this year. I might even buy a hat if they're not backmarkers!

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    WTF are all those little tabs? Looks like Hammond organ bits.

• Nando seems happy...  He was problem just smiling because it didn't blow up...!

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1323
    High hopes for the McLaren.  Looks very good, and hopefully a more positive winter for them with the prospect of some Renault reliability (and performance).  
    The Sauber/Alfa looks good too, and Halo is not too disturbing, but you can't help imagining the cars without it.  Oh well, I don't want to see a driver killed by a bouncing tyre again, and it won't affect the actual racing in the slightest, so no real complaints from me.  The Indy car screen looks nicer though. :)
  • Boromedic said:
    They did last year. Plenty of orange every time an engine died. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4208
    edited February 2018
    Orange was the official test car colour, maybe they are going to be sponsored by Guantanamo Bay ?
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4920
    Boromedic said:
    They did last year. Plenty of orange every time an engine died. 
    Hahaha, I like their optimism this year but they forget how much the Renault engine imploded last year too. Better than Honda obvs but Red Bull had some terrible reliability with them.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• sweepy said:
    Orange was the official test car colour, maybe they are going to be sponsored by Guantanamo Bay ?
    A prize to anyone who can Photoshop Alonso on the Interlagos deckchair into a Guantanamo Bay scenario... 

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    sinbaadi said:
    High hopes for the McLaren.  Looks very good, and hopefully a more positive winter for them with the prospect of some Renault reliability (and performance).  
    The Sauber/Alfa looks good too, and Halo is not too disturbing, but you can't help imagining the cars without it.  Oh well, I don't want to see a driver killed by a bouncing tyre again, and it won't affect the actual racing in the slightest, so no real complaints from me.  The Indy car screen looks nicer though. :)
    This is proper squeaky bum time for both Mclaren and Honda. One of them is going to have egg on their face come November, Mclaren have got to be nipping at RBRs heels and beating Renault outright to salvage their reputation and put the ghosts of the last three seasons to bed. Well five seasons really as Merc handed them their arse on plate in 2013 & 2014.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7179
    The new McLaren is VERY orange..!

Well... there’s plenty of space left on the car for sponsors.  I hope Mclaren’s backers have very deep pockets, they’re certainly not going to have much sponsor or prize income this year.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Cols said:
    The new McLaren is VERY orange..!

Well... there’s plenty of space left on the car for sponsors.  I hope Mclaren’s backers have very deep pockets, they’re certainly not going to have much sponsor or prize income this year.
    It’s mostly the Bahrain Royal Family, and they don’t seem to be short of a bob or three.
    Be nice to see McLaren further up this year... Nando looks a bit happier than he has done the last couple of years.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    Mclarens sponsorship situation is more telling, in the Kimoa is all over the car and team wear, which is Alonso company, a fashion brand. So either as part of keeping Alonso, or in an attempt to lower Alonso's fee (whatever way you look at it) they have to put prime space on the car and team wear to his personal business venture. 

The 'big' Dell deal doesn't look that big, the prime sponsorship position is taken up by champagne brand, which while I'm sure they are getting good cash for doesn't strike me as a the type of money a huge partnership/title sponsor would bring (although obviously I don't know the money involved, it could be amazing) Petrobras fuel.....big money there, but not in F1, always been a player with small teams, never really a big hitter fuel partner (they did have a good run with Williams though at one point).

while nice to see a reboot of the Mclaren image post Ron, and a nod to the heritage of the orange colour scheme, it really doesn't feel like a strong position, but hopefully the car and engine will be strong.
    McLaren are close to announcing a major sponsor.

• ColsCols Frets: 7179
    simonk said:
    Cols said:
    The new McLaren is VERY orange..
    It’s mostly the Bahrain Royal Family, and they don’t seem to be short of a bob or three.
    Be nice to see McLaren further up this year... Nando looks a bit happier than he has done the last couple of years.
    There is that; basically McLaren is owned by Mansour Oijeh and the Bahrain sovereign investment fund, who have plenty of money.  However, the Bahrainis have invested in McLaren to make money; as I understand, ditching Honda means the loss of $100 million per year in Honda backing and having to pay for customer Renault engines, which I'm guessing is another $20 million per year.  That's a hell of a funding gap to fill for one year; things will need to turn around quickly and return to sustained profit to avoid the F1 side of the operation becoming a money pit.

I very much hope that, as Alonso says "Good times are coming"... and soon.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    Fretwired said:
    any ideas on whom / details ?
    darcym said:
    Fretwired said:
    any ideas on whom / details ?
    No. It will be at the test on the first day I think.