The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I assume F1/Liberty will be pushing Sky to let them introduce this in the UK, not least since every rumours points to using the Sky commentary as the primary option within the new service. I would assume Sky will ask for 25% off their price and a contract extension before they'll entertain the idea. 
    Not what I've read. It's an F1 company. I guess the new boys want to control the TV rights and generate new revenue streams - Liberty are a bunch of marketing/media guys. They might buy Sky out - I'm not sure Sky makes much cash as the F1 viewing figures have been falling. I also wonder what break clause there might be in the contract. Sky is also up for sale - will the new buyer be that interested?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    I assume F1/Liberty will be pushing Sky to let them introduce this in the UK, not least since every rumours points to using the Sky commentary as the primary option within the new service. I would assume Sky will ask for 25% off their price and a contract extension before they'll entertain the idea. 
    Not what I've read. It's an F1 company. I guess the new boys want to control the TV rights and generate new revenue streams - Liberty are a bunch of marketing/media guys. They might buy Sky out - I'm not sure Sky makes much cash as the F1 viewing figures have been falling. I also wonder what break clause there might be in the contract. Sky is also up for sale - will the new buyer be that interested?
    That's certainly an option. Surely they have some termination clauses in the current contract. If they consider Sky to be the best English-speaking offering they might well consider a buyout a good investment, long-term,. That would also permit them to get some form of F1 back on free-to-air asap, which will be key for growth.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12412
    I’d lay bets it won’t be $8-12 a month over here, I can see it costing at least £20 a month. At least it won’t involve giving my money to Sky though. 
  • The thing is, Sky will have comprehensive data on who is watching F1, and how many of them are (& aren't) watching anything else in the applicable package. That will make it very easy 

I think the cost is likely to stay around £10 pcm, as F1 is already profitable, so it's about getting more people watching and more sponsorship money coming in.  People are used to paying similar money for Netflix et al, but regular-level fans won't want to pay through the nose just to watch F1. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see a tiered approach - basic F1-race access for a fiver, and all-you-can-eat stuff for 10 for hardcore fans including archive races, more features, testing etc etc. 
    edited February 2018
    The thing is, Sky will have comprehensive data on who is watching F1, and how many of them are (& aren't) watching anything else in the applicable package. That will make it very easy 

I think the cost is likely to stay around £10 pcm, as F1 is already profitable, so it's about getting more people watching and more sponsorship money coming in.  People are used to paying similar money for Netflix et al, but regular-level fans won't want to pay through the nose just to watch F1. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see a tiered approach - basic F1-race access for a fiver, and all-you-can-eat stuff for 10 for hardcore fans including archive races, more features, testing etc etc. 
    It depends what else they offer in the package - I'm guessing it will be more than racing. An F1 channel with programmes 24/7 during the season. They can rerun old races, interviews, behind the scenes with teams, the technology .. they could even have a Top Gear style trio of ex-drivers getting up to no good in old race cars on classic tracks, reliving great races from the past.  Button would be good at that with Mark Webber ...

• Fretwired said:
    The thing is, Sky will have comprehensive data on who is watching F1, and how many of them are (& aren't) watching anything else in the applicable package. That will make it very easy 

It depends what else they offer in the package - I'm guessing it will be more than racing. An F1 channel will programmes 24/7 during the season. They can rerun old races, interviews, behind the scenes with teams, the technology .. they could even have a Top Gear style trio of ex-drivers getting up to no good in old race cars on classic tracks, reliving great races from the past.  Button would be good at that with Mark Webber ...
    Chuck in a bit of "our Nige" and I'd pay for that alone! Does Mansell maybe take himself too seriously?  :D 

Who else might work?
    Snow .. I can't remember F1 cars driving in blizzards ... :-)

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    F1 used to be synonymous with Murray Walker and tbh Martin Brundle does an excellent job nowadays, on the whole I think Sky have the coverage about right,
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    sweepy said:
    F1 used to be synonymous with Murray Walker and tbh Martin Brundle does an excellent job nowadays, on the whole I think Sky have the coverage about right,
    When you watch the old races and hear Murray you realise there are some seriously pink rose tinted glasses being worn by some. 
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    sweepy said:

skys coverage is beyond superb, there is none of the ITV chaff about "shopping with drivers wives in Monaco" it's welcoming to casual fans while in depth enough to provide enthusiasts good information. The features appeal to the majority, the presenters are knowledgeable and professional (even if some people may not like some of the personalities) it's a lesson on how to do it, but then it has the budget, so it should be good.
  • Fretwired said:
    Snow .. I can't remember F1 cars driving in blizzards ... :-)
    1933 Grand Prix in Pau so well before our time. 

https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesaward/id/00163

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/snow-pau-falls-mainly ;

• darcym said:
    sweepy said:

skys coverage is beyond superb, there is none of the ITV chaff about "shopping with drivers wives in Monaco" it's welcoming to casual fans while in depth enough to provide enthusiasts good information. The features appeal to the majority, the presenters are knowledgeable and professional (even if some people may not like some of the personalities) it's a lesson on how to do it, but then it has the budget, so it should be good.
    I think it's excruciatingly horrible and the main pundit team are mostly arse. 

Murray Walker would make mistakes and all the rest but that's part of the fun. It's like listening to Test Match Special.

Best motorsport commentary right now: Radio Le Mans by a mile. 

http://www.radiolemans.co/meet-the-team/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @heartfeltdawn what’s TV coverage like for Le Mans (and the WEC)

I’ve not really got into it before, but after watching the TV series on Amazon me and my lad have booked to go to the 6 hours of Silverstone in August, so we want to follow the other rounds. 
  • @not_the_dj Good stuff! I can't recall how much the online streaming sub is as mine lapsed as I was never around to be able to watch it live (and most head chefs look at you quizzically if you keep on asking for the weekend off to watch motorsport). I did buy a day pass for Eurosport a couple of years back and that was excellent. 

There is so much motorsport to watch out there. If you like the WEC then the entire Blancpain GT Sprint and Endurance season is streamed on Youtube as is the British GT. IMSA in America make their races available pretty quickly after the event. We've just had the annual Bathurst 12 Hour, my favourite race of the year, which was again streamed on Youtube with the Radio Le Mans team doing the commentary. Then there's the excellent Goodwood race meetings, a few pirate streams of Aussie Racing Cars which utterly kick arse, Blancpain Asia, some of the various Porsche Supercup... 

And Mazda MX-5 racing. Heaps of fun. 

I don't recall watching a single F1 race last year live. I didn't miss it one bit. For all the talk of pay TV, the way the cars sound, and needing more social media, there's one truth with F1 racing: there are more interesting racing series out there. The online gamers love their GT and Prototype racing. Rallycross is really kicking off. Even the WRC, which has been in the doledrums for ages, is getting some applause. F1 by comparison is dull and tedious to watch. Liberty can fart around with streaming and social media andtrying out new tracks around the world but the bottom line is that it has become a tedious spectacle for a number of fans who have moved to other series.   

• Yeah we’re looking at other events now outside of F1. Took my lads to a BTCC round last year which we all loved (and watched the whole season on ITV), we’re going to a GT race at Rockingham and the WRX at Silverstone which i’m really looking forward to (plus the WEC of course). 

Streamed WRC coverage on BT Sport for the first two rounds (I have a 3 month free access via my mobile provider). 

My 9’year old has very quickly worked out that F1 isn’t really where it’s at. 
  • Oh yes, the BTCC has picked itself up very well in the last few years. Still not as good as the 90s, mind you, but a really good format now. IndyCar is definitely on the up as well. The 2018 car looks splendid. 

https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/01/01-17-Chevy-Honda-react-to-car-unveil

Less downforce, less drag, faster straight line, and people like Bourdais say that it's quite hard to drive. What's not to like about that? 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12412
    Garthy said:
    sweepy said:
    When you watch the old races and hear Murray you realise there are some seriously pink rose tinted glasses being worn by some. 
    Murray was always getting things wrong and often had to be corrected by James Hunt. Still a legend though, his enthusiasm for the sport was infectious and the drivers obviously respected him.  
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    boogieman said:
    Garthy said:
    sweepy said:
    Murray was always getting things wrong and often had to be corrected by James Hunt. Still a legend though, his enthusiasm for the sport was infectious and the drivers obviously respected him.  
    I was going to say that was my favourite combination. Murray's enthusiasm, mixed with Hunt's casual wit plus the fact that they obviously got on extremely well.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Apart from the fact they despised each other for most of their partnership. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137