The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    But it wont be next year... highlights only apparently
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Ah, OK. That will be crunch time, I reckon.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12412
    I didn’t think there were even highlights on C4 after this year? Thought it was Sky (or paid for) coverage only from there on? 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Grrrr, Steve Jones again.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    boogieman said:
    I didn’t think there were even highlights on C4 after this year? Thought it was Sky (or paid for) coverage only from there on? 
    Wouldn't be surprised if that situation changes.I think Sky already proves that the vast majority of Fans are not willing to pay to watch F1 live. With Sky viewing figures of just around 600k per race I cant see that being sustainable.
    How they intend to deliver the pay per view will also have a big impact. Personally I have no interest in watching it on a laptop/tablet etc. I would imagine its likely to be available through an additional  Amazon Prime channel but that would require a Prime subscription and an additional F1 subscription which would make it expensive.  
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27182
    bobblehat said:
    boogieman said:
    Wouldn't be surprised if that situation changes.I think Sky already proves that the vast majority of Fans are not willing to pay to watch F1 live. With Sky viewing figures of just around 600k per race I cant see that being sustainable.
    How they intend to deliver the pay per view will also have a big impact. Personally I have no interest in watching it on a laptop/tablet etc. I would imagine its likely to be available through an additional  Amazon Prime channel but that would require a Prime subscription and an additional F1 subscription which would make it expensive.  
    The plan is to have available through smart TVs, Apple TV, Amazon Fire etc.

Sky haven’t got massive audiences because you can’t just pay for the F1 channel, you have to get a complete Sky package for £50 a month, which is way more money than this standalone thing.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    And therein lies the problem - you end up paying for a package load of shite you don't want. I'd be happy to pay to watch specific channels, though. I'd go maybe £150 a year for the package.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    bobblehat said:
    boogieman said:

Sky haven’t got massive audiences because you can’t just pay for the F1 channel, you have to get a complete Sky package for £50 a month, which is way more money than this standalone thing.
    You can just watch the race via TV Now for about £6.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12412
    Fretwired said:
    bobblehat said:
    boogieman said:

£8 per race or £35 per month. 
    boogieman said:
    Fretwired said:
    bobblehat said:
    boogieman said:

£8 per race or £35 per month. 
    Prices have gone up. Not what I paid. It was £10.99 for a week pass and £6.99 for a day pass although I got mine for £6.00 on a deal.

And for those countries that don't have an F1 deal wrapped up it will be around £78 a year, tops. Once again, we're getting shafted.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1312
    I hear that Liberty Media have come up with a dynamic new way to make watching F1 as excitingly exclusive as possible.  They will, for a fee, allow their audience to come, physically, to a venue or venues and watch F1 racing "in the flesh".  No more screens, no more presenters rattling off the same tired questions to bored drivers, no more broadcasts.  It's a really effective way to control illegal streams because there won't be any cameras of any kind at the venues.
    And for those countries that don't have an F1 deal wrapped up it will be around £78 a year, tops. Once again, we're getting shafted.
    But Sky has the cost of making the programme. I bet they would be happy to take the F1 Liberty feed, cut their costs by binning their commentators and film crew, reduce the the fee and therefore pull in more punters and probably make more profit.

Fretwired said:
    But Sky has the cost of making the programme. I bet they would be happy to take the F1 Liberty feed, cut their costs by binning their commentators and film crew, reduce the the fee and therefore pull in more punters and probably make more profit.
    Yes, but want exactly do they make? Apart from the pre-race bullshit, every live race feed I’ve ever seen is the same, so presumably everyone across the globe sees the same thing from the same company. Unless I’m missing something here, surely the main costs are the broadcasting rights, and the mouth-on-a-stick talking-head presenters?

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7541
    Fretwired said:
    Yes, but want exactly do they make? Apart from the pre-race bullshit, every live race feed I’ve ever seen is the same, so presumably everyone across the globe sees the same thing from the same company. Unless I’m missing something here, surely the main costs are the broadcasting rights, and the mouth-on-a-stick talking-head presenters?
    That costs a fortune to make. Brundle is on £2 million per annum ... add the others plus a film crew, travel, all the back room staff ..

Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    That costs a fortune to make. Brundle is on £2 million per annum ... add the others plus a film crew, travel, all the back room staff ..

What d’you reckon it costs in total? Can’t be more than £5 million, surely? Be interesting to know.

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

What d’you reckon it costs in total? Can’t be more than £5 million, surely? Be interesting to know.
    Per weekend, quite probably.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22241
    Fretwired said:
    And they recoup some of those costs by selling to other networks. Australia have Sky's coverage on Foxtel and now America networks are going with Sky. 

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2018/02/us-fans-to-get-sky-sports-f1-coverage-on-espn-and-abc/

The audience figures in the US don't really demand an American network do their own production/coverage. Far more cost effective to buy the Sky feed.