The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27448
    Reshuffle at McLaren. Possibly just t make it easier for the board to fire Brown and/or Boullier if shit hits the fan? Or am I being too cynical? :D 

No mention of Jonathan Neale in the new structure, but presume he's still COO 

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/43714234
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Unless there are some startling improvements in the near future, I think if I were Boullier, I'd be looking behind me for the knife.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Unless there are some startling improvements in the near future, I think if I were Boullier, I'd be looking behind me for the knife.

Boullier's a dead man walking. I suspect the team is already look around for his replacement.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    A machete and a chopping block in a public square in Bahrain is more likely.
    I wouldn’t be visiting Salisbury, either.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22410
    I wouldn’t be visiting Salisbury, either.
    Never touch a Russian's knob. That's all I can say. 

So knobs aside, come and stroke your own to the lovely sound of the Porsche 919 Evo at Spa. 

The race is on the a Ferrari seat next year .. Woolf concedes he may lose Hamilton who is looking for a new challenge (BBC).

But would Ferrari want Hamilton and Vettel in the same team? Or would Vettel go to Mercedes with Ferrari having the dream team of Hamilton and Ricciardo?

I'd like to see Vettel win in a Ferrari. Preferably this year. 

Then Ricciardo could join him, which would be interesting. Or he & Ham can swap seats and DannyRic can go to which team has a faster car :D 

All I really want is top teams who don't have a #1 driver (whether contractual or just naturally based on performance). F1 is always far better when the quick teams have near-equal drivers.
    If Hamilton really wants a challenge, he should drive for Williams.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    If Hamilton really wants a challenge, he should drive for Williams.
    :-)

He'd do a lot better than the two clowns they have at the moment.

The top brass at Ferrari were angered by Vettel's antics last year. I think he has to win this year if he wants to retain his seat as there are some decent drivers coming on to the market. I think the only place Hamilton would go would be Ferrari and they'd be interested not only in his driving skills but his marketing potential.

A Hamilton/Alonso pairing would be interesting.

I think Vettel's stock went up massively after Bahrain, if he keeps that up, the Ferrari gang's opinion will change. I wonder whether Hamster would fit in at Ferrari, but him and Alonso? Can't see that one happening again!

I think Vettel's stock went up massively after Bahrain, if he keeps that up, the Ferrari gang's opinion will change. I wonder whether Hamster would fit in at Ferrari, but him and Alonso? Can't see that one happening again!

He managed his tyres well but Bottas made no effort to push him - too timid. The press has crucified him. Had Hamilton, Ricciardo or Mad Max been behind him he might have been pushed off a cliff - he had bugger all grip at the end. Shows how penalties ruin the competition.

Fretwired said:

He managed his tyres well but Bottas made no effort to push him - too timid. The press has crucified him. Had Hamilton, Ricciardo or Mad Max been behind him he might have been pushed off a cliff - he had bugger all grip at the end. Shows how penalties ruin the competition.

True, but the results don't say "Well, Vettel won, but only because blah, blah, blah" If he keeps winning, it won't matter how, or why, Ferrari will take what they can get.

But yes, the penalties, bloody awful system, I'd hoped they'd take constructors points away instead for this year, but there you go.

I only hope Max calms down because I rate him higher than Ricciardo, I think he's got more potential.

Fretwired said:

The top brass at Ferrari were angered by Vettel's antics last year. I think he has to win this year if he wants to retain his seat as there are some decent drivers coming on to the market. I think the only place Hamilton would go would be Ferrari and they'd be interested not only in his driving skills but his marketing potential.

Ferrari have done plenty to shoot themselves in the foot over the last few years, not least replacing Domenicali with an eejit and keeping Kimi on. 

Fretwired said:

Ferrari have done plenty to shoot themselves in the foot over the last few years, not least replacing Domenicali with an eejit and keeping Kimi on. 
    Not sure there was anyone worth having last year - better the Devil you know so Kimi stayed put. This year is big for the number of top drivers out of contract - if Vettel cracks under the pressure this year he'll be shown the door. Do Ferrari go for Hamilton who is probably a better driver than Vettel and pair him with Ricciardo who is also quick? Do Mercedes bin Bottas and maybe lure Vettel and Alonso?

No idea - it will be interesting to watch. Woolf doesn't seem to think getting Hamilton to sign is a done deal. Hamilton sees Ferrari has a quick car - who wouldn't want to drive for Ferrari? A lot more prestigious than Merc - they make diesel taxis. Ferrari make the world's best sports cars.

All to play for ...

Fretwired said:
    Not sure there was anyone worth having last year - better the Devil you know so Kimi stayed put. This year is big for the number of top drivers out of contract - if Vettel cracks under the pressure this year he'll be shown the door. Do Ferrari go for Hamilton who is probably a better driver than Vettel and pair him with Ricciardo who is also quick? Do Mercedes bin Bottas and maybe lure Vettel and Alonso?

No idea - it will be interesting to watch. Woolf doesn't seem to think getting Hamilton to sign is a done deal. Hamilton sees Ferrari has a quick car - who wouldn't want to drive for Ferrari? A lot more prestigious than Merc - they make diesel taxis. Ferrari make the world's best sports cars.

All to play for ...

Ferrari have prestige, no question, but the days of them being the outright best sports cars is long gone. Ferrari is still a very special marque but they're not out there ahead of all others. 

If Hamilton leaves Mercedes, then they should break the bank for Vettel. Of all the possible number twos everywhere, Ocon would be my selection for any team. Ricciardo and Ocon at Ferrari would be a good combination. 

The bin Bottas brigade have been vocal. Why? He's done his job thus far. He's not there to win championships, he's there to be consistent and to shore up the Constructors title. 

Agree with every word from @Heartfeltdawn ;

Ocon is clearly fantastic and is probably the best midfield driver (at least outside the Red Bull family). 

I think Bottas’ problem is that he’s not as likeable as Barrichello, despite doing exactly the same jobs Rubens did for Ferrari
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    I think Bottas’ problem is that he’s not as likeable as Barrichello, despite doing exactly the same jobs Rubens did for Ferrari
    He's like the Iceman, but without the charisma.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2944
    Its been a while but the last time Hamilton and Alonso worked together it didn't work out well,