The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    Fretwired said:

Ferrari never show their hand until Saturday. Vettel has a new upgraded engine with more power. Vettel for the win.

I'm not so sure. There are other factors such as the prevailing temperature, and how their car behaves with tyre selection.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    rocktron said:
    Fretwired said:

Ferrari never show their hand until Saturday. Vettel has a new upgraded engine with more power. Vettel for the win.

I'm not so sure. There are other factors such as the prevailing temperature, and how their car behaves with tyre selection.
    Canada is a power track - Ferrari must fancy their chances knowing Mercedes are on an old engine which can't be turned up as usual. Mercedes will want to ensure there are no DNFs for their drivers. Could be an interesting race as the Merc engine users ponder what to do ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Hamilton only 4th in FP3 .. Red Bull and two Ferrari's in front.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4820
    edited June 2018
    Not seen it yet, but Mercedes are struggling on the hyper and also have only 3 sets for the weekend so limited running on it so far. Plus as you mentioned, they're probably conserving power until quali maybe, due to engine mileage. We shall see how it all shakes out, I'm not counting Lewis out yet, as he is only just behind. However I'm not optimistic either, I think he will be second probably. Can't see Red Bull staying on the front row once the engines are turned up.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

Just seen the Sky interview with Hamilton ... he doesn't look confident and says he's in for another  'tough weekend' .. Ferrari lockout on the front row?

Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Hamilton on the back foot in Canada. Looks like a Ferrari win.
    :confused:   2nd fastest after Verstappen, and on the slower tyre?  Looks reasonable enough to me, did I miss something?
    You've made the mistake of thinking Fret's predictions have any bearing on reality. 
    Vettel on pole ..... Hamilton 4th ... on the back foot me thinks .. :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7007
    Fretwired said:
    I say.  Well done, @Fretwired ;
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22137
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    confused   2nd fastest after Verstappen, and on the slower tyre?  Looks reasonable enough to me, did I miss something?
    You've made the mistake of thinking Fret's predictions have any bearing on reality. 
    He's crap at the dog track but he's alright on F1. 

Not seen it yet courtesy of a night shift and was trying to avoid finding out, unfortunately it popped up on another site and I heard the result. Looks like Hamilton was struggling on the Hypers as Mercedes didn't have enough to use. Wouldn't want to be starting that close to Verstappen, but there you go!

Should be an interesting race, I think Mercedes have the pace to pull off the win as the Hypers won't last long and they're starting on ultras with Vettel. The Red Bulls will fall away during the race I suspect, no top end in the engine at a power circuit will be telling over a race distance. Although I'm sure there will be a few safety cars to close up the gaps. I'm backing Lewis for the win, Seb 2nd and Bottas 3rd.

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Fretwired said:
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    :confused:   2nd fastest after Verstappen, and on the slower tyre?  Looks reasonable enough to me, did I miss something?
    Looking good for you man, Hamilton certainly on the back foot at the mo. Didn't have anything to do with his engine, just a scrappy couple of laps. 

Bottas is due a win though :-)

Fretwired said:
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Looking good for you man, Hamilton certainly on the back foot at the mo. Didn't have anything to do with his engine, just a scrappy couple of laps. 

Bottas is due a win though :-)

The engines weren't turned up to the Max hence Hamilton over-driving as he really wanted pole. Bottas is a smoother driver who hooked up his lap. Not pole though. I'm going Vettel for the win. Bottas couldn't overtake an ice cream van and he'll have Mad Max up his exhaust pipe at the start. If Mercedes wanted to be devious they'd let Max through to attack Vettel - those two have form .. :-)

Who will Max crash into today? Hamilton, Bottas or Vettel?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    Kimi to get a banzai start, round Hamilton and alongside Max into turn1 in time for Max to not-yield into 2 and take all 3 of them out. 

Any other circumstances and I'd say Bottas would jump Seb with a couple of laps in party mode but that's not going to happen with an old knackered engine. So Vettel, Bottas, DannyRic podium. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Kimi to get a banzai start, round Hamilton and alongside Max into turn1 in time for Max to not-yield into 2 and take all 3 of them out. 

Any other circumstances and I'd say Bottas would jump Seb with a couple of laps in party mode but that's not going to happen with an old knackered engine. So Vettel, Bottas, DannyRic podium. 
    I think Verstappen will bounce Bottas at the start as he has the grippy ultra soft tyres as he is a fast starter. Just read an interview with Toto and it looks like damage limitation for Mercedes. He blames the lack of an engine upgrade more than the fact they didn't bring more ultra soft tyres, so Merc will be conservative on engine modes to get their cars home. They can't afford a DNF. I doubt Bottas would fight too hard if Verstappen came alongside. Kimi could bounce Hamilton although his mirrors may be full of Ricciardo on a charge.

• ColsCols Frets: 7007
    Fretwired said:

Who will Max crash into today? Hamilton, Bottas or Vettel?
    All Of The Above.  Total carnage.

But realistically, most likely weaving into Hamilton with his trademark ‘defensive driving’
    A similar start to Singapore .... Vettel, Vestappen and Bottas crash .. Hamilton takes the lead ... :-)

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    40 laps in and its hardly setting the world alight.  

Boring ........ that was dire ...

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    The top three started and finished in the same position and im not sure much else happened behind them.   Dull dull dulllll.

Tyres are ruining the action again, one stop races by ekeing out the tyres it's ridiculous and harks back to a few years ago. Hope they nip this in the bud, no one was pushing until lap 60, Montreal reduced to nothing its depressing.

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Oh Pirelli please sod off somewhere else....