The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4537
    Although it's not f1 it's still never good when the safety car crashes

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1559
    Now this is magical footage... the first ever Monaco Grand Prix in 1929. So much has changed, but it's so familiar too.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Now this is magical footage... the first ever Monaco Grand Prix in 1929. So much has changed, but it's so familiar too.

Wow .. not seen that before .. as you say there a bits you recognise as being on today's track ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    When it comes to mockery, F1's got a long way to go before it's ripped to bits like Nascar is. 

@TimmyO I agree with some of your comments but when Monaco is given such hype, all the 'jewel in the crown' bullshit, and culminates in a) a chap ends up winning it despite a seriously fucked up car because it is impossible to overtake him and b) the current reigning champion saying how slow and dull it was, then F1 has to address that. The unpredictable start to the season with safety cars throwing up odd results doesn't detract from the core issues that have blighted F1 for ages, namely the cost of competing, the unfairness of the rewards system, and the difficulties on track with overtaking. 

I totally agree .. plenty of F1 drivers like Lewis and Seb were moaning at how slowly they were driving. The only thing that made it interesting was watching Daniel nurse his car to victory. Max would have binned it .. :-)

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22136

And we didn't see any overtakes. The more things change...

Here's some Monaco from 1933:

And this from 1962 is remarkable. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    More stupidity from F1 - fans denied a fight at the front as Ricciardo hit with multiple grid penalties for using too many parts. Sod the fans who want to see some racing ...

Bigger wheels and low profile tyres?? Is that a good thing? Brawn has said the FIA is looking to make this change.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    Arguably we’ll get more racingbecause he’ll be out of position and on a different strategy. RB will be crap in Canada anyway, most likely.

i don’t care about the tyre thing. If it lets the FIA bring in standardised active suspension as mooted I’d be fine with it. Helping the little guys and stopping a whole area of aero-pretending/
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    Fretwired said:
    More stupidity from F1 - fans denied a fight at the front as Ricciardo hit with multiple grid penalties for using too many parts. Sod the fans who want to see some racing ...

Bigger wheels and low profile tyres?? Is that a good thing? Brawn has said the FIA is looking to make this change.
    More gaming of the rules from RB - ignore the engine limits and turn the engines up in the races to keep competitive then, when you’ve hit the limits early on in the season start complaining about “the fans being denied racing” despite everyone racing under the same rules. Merc are still on their first engines I think - start ignoring engine penalties and all that will happen is Merc & Ferrari will turn their engines up and the results will stay the same, with possibly a few more engine failures during races to change the order a little.

The wheels / tyres are part of the whole push to be more relevant to road cars which I’m not sure suits F1 but may attract more manufacturers (although they seem to be heading towards Formula E already so it may be too little too late)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think the biggest news for F1 is over the Miami Grand Prix fee system and how this impacts other venues 

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/136482/wolff-less-f1-income-with-new-promoter-model

Montreal's getting a third DRS zone. 

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/136522/montreal-gets-third-drs-zone

Push to pass please, Liberty. 

edited June 2018
    In other-other news, Porsche appears to be going for the Nordschleife record in the uber-919. That thing seriously shifts...

https://streamable.com/vq3d2
  • ColsCols Frets: 7007
    Fretwired said:

More needling between Red Bull and Renault - Renault say the MGU-K is repairable, Newey says it’s toast.  He also doesn’t seem to think too much of Renault’s engine upgrade.  I strongly suspect they’ll replace everything, put Ricciardo to the back of the grid and point the finger at Renault and the FIA.

As I recall, the limits on engines and gearboxes was brought in to reduce costs.  In practice, I wonder how much money it actually saves?  I would have thought that most of the cost goes into the R&D rather than manufacturing.

With regard to the larger low profile tyres, apparently this was something on which Michelin were insisting last time the tyre contract was up for renewal (the big bouncy 13” tyres are pretty unique to F1).  I imagine the teams aren’t keen as it would require a significant suspension redesign.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Mu guess is we'll be back to business as usual in Canada. Mercs in front.

Mu guess is we'll be back to business as usual in Canada. Mercs in front.
    Ferrari should be quick. We'll find out whether Mercs complaints were valid or not come Q3.

Cols said:
    Fretwired said:

More needling between Red Bull and Renault - Renault say the MGU-K is repairable, Newey says it’s toast.  He also doesn’t seem to think too much of Renault’s engine upgrade.  I strongly suspect they’ll replace everything, put Ricciardo to the back of the grid and point the finger at Renault and the FIA.

As I recall, the limits on engines and gearboxes was brought in to reduce costs.  In practice, I wonder how much money it actually saves?  I would have thought that most of the cost goes into the R&D rather than manufacturing.
    Limits on engines and gearboxes don't really reduce costs. Red Bull will have another engine, gearbox and will take some pain - its probably deliberate as Canada is a power track which doesn't suit their car. Every team will exceed the number of engines and gearboxes so what's the point?  Let the cars and drivers race and deduct constructors points. It just seems artificial to me.

If the FIA want to reduce costs they should opt for simpler engines and cars.

edited June 2018
    A memorable race .. forgot that Schumacher and Coulthard nearly came to blows .. :-)

Max Verstappen on being asked why he keeps crashing into things: “I get really tired of the questions. I think if I get a few more I will headbutt someone.”

Looks like the apple hasn’t fallen very far from the tree...

https://www.planetf1.com/news/verstappen-tired-of-driving-style-questions/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:
    Max Verstappen on being asked why he keeps crashing into things: “I get really tired of the questions. I think if I get a few more I will headbutt someone.”

Of course. Because he's had an entire childhood of Jos telling him that the only way to win is to go for every gap, and never yield. That works in karts or against junior drivers, but it's not going to win him jack shit in modern F1. He will learn by himself. But it'll take much longer if he doesn't listen to the people around him. 
    Cols said:

Of course. Because he's had an entire childhood of Jos telling him that the only way to win is to go for every gap, and never yield. That works in karts or against junior drivers, but it's not going to win him jack shit in modern F1. He will learn by himself. But it'll take much longer if he doesn't listen to the people around him. 
    That's the problem - he isn't.  It's his 4th year in F1 and he hasn't calmed down.  

A major part of the problem is that he's been protected through those four years, not only by Red Bull but also by the race stewards.  He's been allowed to get away with driving standards that would have got other drivers a hefty haul of penalty points, while Red Bull have kept silent during the races while he indulges himself in aggressive driving against his own teammate.

The longer people are allowed to get away with bad behaviour without sanction, the more difficult it becomes to correct it.  I fear it's already too late for Max to learn.
    Cols said:
    That's the problem - he isn't.  It's his 4th year in F1 and he hasn't calmed down.  

A major part of the problem is that he's been protected through those four years, not only by Red Bull but also by the race stewards.  He's been allowed to get away with driving standards that would have got other drivers a hefty haul of penalty points, while Red Bull have kept silent during the races while he indulges himself in aggressive driving against his own teammate.

The longer people are allowed to get away with bad behaviour without sanction, the more difficult it becomes to correct it.  I fear it's already too late for Max to learn.
    Remember Hamilton in 2011? 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2011/jul/08/lewis-hamilton

Max is young enough to turn things around.