The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24707
    RiftAmps said:
    Absolutely.

Track Limit policing by officials just doesn't work.

Even if tarmac can be a better choice for stopping cars and keep them upright there is no reason why there can't be 1 metre of something slippery or just gravel around the edge of the track.

Would solve the problem instantly.

Ideally - something as slippery as gravel for that boundary, but without the chance of digging in and flipping the car.
    Yep, just make it the width of the widest racing cars (so approx 2m) then you're guaranteed that all 4 wheels are on it if you go off, then stop worrying about deleting laptimes entirely. 
    It's a shame that synthetic ice still sucks. That would have been perfect! :D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7612
    I dunno - I don’t recall particular problems relying on transponder signals and footage reviews in-race on this - what have I missed? 

If we end up with more safety cars while cars are recovered from gravel is that better ? 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5736
    RiftAmps said:
    Absolutely.

Track Limit policing by officials just doesn't work.

Even if tarmac can be a better choice for stopping cars and keep them upright there is no reason why there can't be 1 metre of something slippery or just gravel around the edge of the track.

Would solve the problem instantly.

Ideally - something as slippery as gravel for that boundary, but without the chance of digging in and flipping the car.
    Yep, just make it the width of the widest racing cars (so approx 2m) then you're guaranteed that all 4 wheels are on it if you go off, then stop worrying about deleting laptimes entirely. 
    Just mine the runoff area, that would make for a much more interesting race.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4922
    TimmyO said:
    I dunno - I don’t recall particular problems relying on transponder signals and footage reviews in-race on this - what have I missed? 

If we end up with more safety cars while cars are recovered from gravel is that better ? 
    I suppose it's the hassle of post incident penalties and the resources policing it, stops the drivers taking the mick too much and means if you take liberties it's risk/reward time. You do make a valid point though, hopefully the deterrent is enough so we don't need SC periods, although more safety cars penalises Red Bull :)

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Boromedic said:
    TimmyO said:

I suppose it's the hassle of post incident penalties and the resources policing it, stops the drivers taking the mick too much and means if you take liberties it's risk/reward time. You do make a valid point though, hopefully the deterrent is enough so we don't need SC periods, although more safety cars penalises Red Bull :)
    my worry is that right now, a driver can take avoiding action to prevent a crash, or to prevent themselves binning it into a corner, and the rules mean they can't having a racing benefit from it if they exceed limits. 

Put gravel outside everything and either it results in more stranded cars, or LESS likely to take avoiding action, and more accidents. 

I think the scale of the 'problem' doesn't warrant the possible impact of the solution. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6233
    tFB Trader
    Plutonium has similar properties at the boundary to ice, pressure melts the top layer causing grip to diminish and allow you to skate... the answer is a pure plutonium edge. it would also melt the tyres.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:
    Boromedic said:
    TimmyO said:

my worry is that right now, a driver can take avoiding action to prevent a crash, or to prevent themselves binning it into a corner, and the rules mean they can't having a racing benefit from it if they exceed limits. 

Put gravel outside everything and either it results in more stranded cars, or LESS likely to take avoiding action, and more accidents. 

I think the scale of the 'problem' doesn't warrant the possible impact of the solution. 
    To me the problem is that the penalties for the drivers aren't really imposed. They can take the piss on a few laps and sometimes that is all that is needed for an advantage.

Gravel doesn't give 3 or 4 warnings, and it cannot be appealed either.

Clearly what we need is for the track to be elevated by a few metres. So if a car goes off, it falls into a suitably designed receptacle - like the pockets on a pool table. A suitable slope to allow the car to come reduce speed safely before being safely delivered back to the pits.

If there's no damage they could even re-join. 5 laps down, but ever since Maldonado won a race, we have proof that impossible is just not a thing in F1! :D 
    ThorpyFX said:
    Plutonium has similar properties at the boundary to ice, pressure melts the top layer causing grip to diminish and allow you to skate... the answer is a pure plutonium edge. it would also melt the tyres.
    So we need a harder tyre compound.

No problem,

C8,768,776,987,734,987,345,972,347 will cope with a bit of plutonium!
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1186
    Can we not just have walls with spikes or something?  Gives them a real incentive not to go outside the lines.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7191
    Well, inescapably you wouldn’t see so many ‘track limit violations’ if the tracks were lined with alligator-filled pits.  You certainly don’t get them at Monaco, exceed the track limits and you’re in the wall (or, in the case of the unfortunate Ascari, the harbour).

But neither is it nice to see someone’s race totally ruined because of one off-track mishap.  Like Hamilton in China 2007 - a harmless low speed spin into the only pitlane entry gravel trap on the calendar, ending his race and ultimately costing him a historic first world championship.

On balance though, I’d be happy seeing drivers suffer the consequences of “oopsy, ran a bit wide there again, tell race control I’m sorry” and take the hit on seeing a few more bloody safety cars.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1565
    There’s a balance. Because while I’d like to see less abuse of track limits, I’d also not like to see Verstappenesque “we’re just gonna crash if you don’t drive off the track” overtakes further rewarded. 
  • PennPenn Frets: 650
    How about mines either side of the track? 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1890
    Thatcher closed em all. :-(
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7191
    Penn said:
    Max would just push the others off into them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4922
    Cols said:
    Penn said:
    If only someone could introduce a blue shell.......

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

Cols said:
    Penn said:
    Ok, what about fitting bombs under the cars that detonate if you push someone off? 

We could keep the land mines to. 
    Add hidden snipers so that when Max (other F1 drivers are available) forces another driver into the land mines they get the all clear to take him out. 

Haych said:
    Add hidden snipers so that when Max (other F1 drivers are available) forces another driver into the land mines they get the all clear to take him out. 
    Good shout. Let’s lobby the FIA to make it happen. 

Could we also add a random zone where cars get exploded? It could work  like DRS… only with more flaming wreckage.

I assume the drivers will all be fine and just walk away as charred outlines, smoking slightly and making comments a bit like wacky races… Max Dastardly Verstappen.  

IMG_9750.png 10.6K
    IMG_9751.png 540.5K
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Crossover with AI thread 

Red ones are better. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ Reminds me of Psygnosis Rollcage, that was an ace game, if F1 was anything like that I'd watch religiously.