I'm making guitar number 7 - Finished!

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
edited December 2023 in Making & Modding
After a long layoff from making guitars, but with three others 'sort of' on the go, I have decided to put them all aside and make another guitar.

I was inspired by a video I saw of a strat with two P90s. I've been wanting another strat shaped guitar as I only have the one (but 3 Tele's). So as usual I have done a Photoshop mock-up (below).

As usual, it will have an aged look. It's not for everyone, but I just prefer aged guitars. The top will be flat, with an f-hole (just a very slight round-over edge). Colour Surf green.

Pearloid off white scratchplate.

I'm a fan of reversed headstocks, they kind of look beautifully wrong to me. This is a strange one for me though in that I want a bigger 70s style headstock. I have always hated them, but it somehow seems right for this. 

MOP dot inlays, 22 frets. Neck stained maple, fretboard Bog oak.

P90s from Alegree, not sure which ones yet.

The bridge I was going to use an aged Wilkinson trem that I have spare, but .... I also have a spare Fishman Powertrem that has been in my parts box for many years. I'm a fan of the piezo sound (not everyone is!) and I don't have a guitar with piezo these days. The downsides are - 1 it looks too new, and 2) it's two point. I think I'm gonna go with it though. (unless anyone has a 6 screw one and wants a swap!)

I was thinking 1 vol 1 tone, but with the piezo I'll probably have just 2 volume knobs. Over the years I have virtually stopped using tone knobs so I can easily live without one.

Well, that's the rough spec, and this is the look

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Excellent - watching with interest :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Excellent - watching with interest :)
    I don't make guitars to your standard of course! (but they are good enough for me ...)
  • Sounds like fun. Did you find a plain top solution?
    I've only done one fretboard in Bog Oak and it was a royal pain in the arse. Could just be an isolated incident but I've not gone there again since lol. 
    I can't bring myself to make a beaten up guitar, but I do like the sense of relaxation when working on them, knowing that I don't have to be quite as careful as usual 
    Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10296

Like the look of that. Look forward to the updates.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    @HilditchGuitars You didn't like working with Bog oak? I LOVE it for fretboards, firstly it is dark and I like dark fretboards, also the grain gives it a 'worn in' look, perfect for aged guitars. I had no probs with sanding etc. 

Plain top, I'm getting one from one of the suggestions in the thread. Good advice around here!

• @axisus yeah I saw the thread but had nothing to add that hadn't already been suggested. I had some off cuts that would have been perfect, you could have had them gratis, but I must have used them as I couldn't find them.

I must have had a rubbish piece as it was unstable with the frets. Maybe I'll try again one day then, but I'm working through a pile of Ebony atm. I too, am a fiend for dark boards
    Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9571
    I so admire that you can make a geetar... looking forward to watch this thread as it grows :)
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1779
    That mock-up looks awesome - really unique whilst also having a nice sense of familiarity.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2292

I built a whole bunch over a number of years and got to 25....  I've kept 20 of them. They are my babies. It's mad. I stopped when my wife said "I didn't mind until they ended up in too many rooms"  Fair point. so I'm not making now but really  have a couple of cool projects in mind.
    OK so first off I made a 70s style headstock as I don't have one.

Being a numpty, I didn't check the MDF thickness, and it didn't match my template! It wasn't as thick, so job no 2 was to make a very rough spacer.

Neck marked out in my office (AKA the very small utility room). I'm not the tidiest of people ...

Next I moved into my high tech workshop (AKA the back yard) and routed the truss rod channel. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It fits! I did bugger up a bit, but it won't affect anything and won't be seen. Building a guitar - the art of recovering from your mistakes ...

Took the thickness of the fretboard down a few mm

Last job for now, routed the basic neck shape

and headstock.

So, officially up and running!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4189
    axisus said:
    After a long layoff from making guitars, but with three others 'sort of' on the go, I have decided to put them all aside and make another guitar.

I was inspired by a video I saw of a strat with two P90s. I've been wanting another strat shaped guitar as I only have the one (but 3 Tele's). So as usual I have done a Photoshop mock-up (below).

As usual, it will have an aged look. It's not for everyone, but I just prefer aged guitars. The top will be flat, with an f-hole (just a very slight round-over edge). Colour Surf green.

Pearloid off white scratchplate.

I'm a fan of reversed headstocks, they kind of look beautifully wrong to me. This is a strange one for me though in that I want a bigger 70s style headstock. I have always hated them, but it somehow seems right for this. 

MOP dot inlays, 22 frets. Neck stained maple, fretboard Bog oak.

P90s from Alegree, not sure which ones yet.

The bridge I was going to use an aged Wilkinson trem that I have spare, but .... I also have a spare Fishman Powertrem that has been in my parts box for many years. I'm a fan of the piezo sound (not everyone is!) and I don't have a guitar with piezo these days. The downsides are - 1 it looks too new, and 2) it's two point. I think I'm gonna go with it though. (unless anyone has a 6 screw one and wants a swap!)

I was thinking 1 vol 1 tone, but with the piezo I'll probably have just 2 volume knobs. Over the years I have virtually stopped using tone knobs so I can easily live without one.

Well, that's the rough spec, and this is the look

Surf green relic rules
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27620
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Fretboard marked out

cutting fret slots

edging fretboard

Test fit onto neck

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Looking great.   Build threads are the best and this is going to be a good one

the piezo is interesting - i will be watching with interest 
    Drilling tuner holes with a template I made a few years ago

I'm also making a new tuners template. I can get a better fit with a two-size hole, so it will be a smaller hole from the back.

Gluing the body blanks together.

Fret marker holes drilled

Fret markers installed

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Planing the body wood flat. Prior to this I used a surfacing bit in my router to take the overall thickness down. 

Body marked out using the centreline

And off to my dad's to trim as I don't have a bandsaw

Finally did the basic work on headstock transition.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom