Yamaha THR10 or THR10C

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• JoesaJoesa Frets: 86
    Anyone had any problems with theirs? Mine started to sound really gritty on any of the modelling amp settings but sounds fine when switched to Bass, Aco or Flat. Mp3's still sound fine through it, as does the computer when I have it connected and the Editing suite works fine. The sound quality just started to get worse and worse on the modelling side to the point where now I'm playing through my ME-50 into the Flat setting and basically using it as a small single channel amp which obviously isn't how it was designed! Yamaha have told me to send it back to the online retailer but they're not interested as it's over a year old and although it comes under the Yamaha 2 year warranty, Yamaha won't deal with me direct. Anyone else have/ had a similar problem?  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205

Is it a 'kettle lead' or '2-pin figure-8' variant that goes from the mains wall socket to the THR10 PSU ?

daveww said:
    tis a kettle lead
    Not on mine it's not. It's a 3-way cloverleaf plug. Rather inconvenient!  :x
    It's the kettle lead type. It was fine for just over a year though and it has the same symptoms on battery power so I doubt if it's a PSU issue
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Sorry to hear it, Joesa, no problems with mine.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13572
    edited October 2013
    Joesa said:
    Yamaha have told me to send it back to the online retailer but they're not interested as it's over a year old and although it comes under the Yamaha 2 year warranty, Yamaha won't deal with me direct. Anyone else have/ had a similar problem?  
      Where did you get it ?  Did you explain to Yamaha the circumstances with the on-line store ? what does it state on the warranty card ? (yes I do have one, but no idea where it is ) do the on-line store have a obligation to accept it back on Yamaha's behalf ?  lots of questions I know but I think you need to pursue this

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    To be honest, I just can't be arsed anymore. I've written to Yamaha UK 3 or 4 times and I get the same answer. I have to clarify that I bought the amp from MusiciansFriend online as there was no outlet near enough for me to try one before buying. I knew it was a US company but I didn't think it would be a problem and they had a good deal on. I actually emailed Yamaha UK beforehand and told them I was planning on buying one from this particular official online retailer and wanted to know whether it would be OK ( because of the different UK/US voltages ) and they said it was dual voltage so it would be fine. They gave no indication this would affect the 2 year global warranty but there it is. I'm more disappointed in Yamaha as a company because it is a fantastic amp and actually was responsible in making me play more as it just makes you want to pick the guitar up and play. I honestly thought they would actively want to know why a newly designed product had developed a major fault in only a year of normal use but I'm just resigned to the fact that I've just bought a very expensive speaker dock for my MP3 player. I would still recommend it over any other home amp though regardless of my situation. I've never been more impressed by any other bit of guitar kit. I just wish it had worked a bit longer!
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9612
    Bump. Still lovin these guys ?
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648

@RossYamaha there is a spelling mistake on the THR10 V.2 page, they spelt modified as modefied. Just wanted to let you know so you can get it sorted.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Having been bought a THR 10 last Christmas i am finding it indispensable for bedroom noodling/ practice and for hooking up to my PC for recording/ sketching duties.  I also love the fact you can plug in a sound device and play to accompaniment and separately control the volumes to suit.  Not so keen on the hi-gain settings (anything above lead) so mainly sit on the clean or crunch settings which sound good especially after editing :D 
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 477
    Still loving my 10C. Probably my most played amp, its just so convinient. i sometimes wish it had one higher gain amp model, but the the majority of the stuff I play the Dr Z model is enough.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27692
    Bump.
    It's more of an 18mth disinterment rather than a "bump"

But I've still got mine, and still using it whenever I play at home (which is pretty much the only place I do play).  MrsTT is quite happy with it in the lounge, where it's far less obvious than any other amp I've ever had.  Win-Win.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1214
    I've had my THR10 for two years. Great for home use, easy and convenient. Sits nicely on a shelf. Looks inconspicuous if not rather quite attractive. Get one now!
    Link to my trading feedback
  • I preferred the sound of the id core amps to the thr range, but that was direct a/b in store for clean, crunch, edge of break up and high gain.

In other words, I didn't play with the software. But based on that, I definitely preferred the blackstar. The yammy was good, and definitely looks nicer - truly a living room amp. But having not played with the software on either, I'd suggest taking what I say with a pinch of salt and trying them both. I was really surprised with the id core 20.

Also, I only tried them as a guitar amp - I didn't put any music through it to jam to. Again, yammy may be better for that.
  • BlacksheepBlacksheep Frets: 293
    For me the crucial thing about the editing software is it allows you to adjust the compression, which makes a big difference to the available tones.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Interesting little amps - got some questions...

The two Marshall models (and maybe the Boogie one) in the standard THR10 appeal more than the various lower gain models in the 10C, but what's the 10 like for very clean cleans and edge of breakup sounds?

In the Anderton's vid about the 10C, it's mentioned that the clean in the 10 tends to have a bit of breakup, while in the 10C, it stays cleaner and more glassy. I'd rather have the latter in a clean sound (basically, no breakup at all, no matter how hard I play). Can the AC30 model do clean to dirty with the guitar's volume control?

I think there was mention of using the software to change speaker modelling - does that mean that any of the speaker/cab models can be applied to any of the amp models and saved as a preset? And, do the speaker models make a big difference to the overall sound? For example, if the AC30 does edge of breakup, but I prefer, say, the speaker from the clean amp, can I set it up to combine those two?

How do the preset buttons and rotary model selector interact? If I have custom presets, are they recalled by pressing the buttons? If so, what happens when I then use the rotary selector and the gains/EQ? (ie, what changes?)

How loud are these amps in the room compared to something like a 5-10W valve amp?

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• NomadNomad Frets: 549

Been doing some reading and downloaded the editor software (but no amp to connect to)...

Looks like amp and cab models can be intermixed. The software doesn't show the bass, acoustic and flat options - do the mic simulations appear when acoustic is available?

Found this post where somebody uses the bass amp for clean sounds...

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/yamaha-thr10-settings-share-thread.333369/

...but no cabs, it seems. Anyone tried that? How is it for staying super clean, and how does it compare to the Clean amp model?

Am I right in thinking that the edits in the software (or when a patch is selected) change the amp in real time, and that storing is then done by holding down a preset button? In other words, no 'send to preset N' from the software?

If I select a preset and adjust one knob, does only that parameter change, or does the preset's adjustment change to match all of the knobs? Is there any indication when knobs are tweaked after selecting a preset that the stored value has been dialled in or departed from?

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    edited September 2016
    Im still after one of these but can't decide which model to go after, standard X or C. My real amp is a Laney GH50L which does a jcm800 esque mid-high gain and that's the sound I'm mostly after. Now the best clip I've heard of these amps is the Brown model on the X in the Satchel from Steel Panther clip that's on YouTube. Thing is the rest of the models on the X sound awful to my ears. Can the standard one get close to that brown sound and have other tones available or is it worth sacrificing the other tones for that one good Brown amp model? I've not heard anything as good from the standard thr10 brit Hi model. Does the X clean up with guitar volume adjustments? 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Did Yamaha buy out Line6 a few years ago? I seem to remember something like that happening. The Line6 sounds were poor IMHO. I had a Flextone 2...... 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum