The Story of Anvil

What's Hot

Comments

• I saw it as a lesson in delusion to be honest!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I always liked Anvil, but I think overall I preferred Emu. His interview with Parkinson was the clincher
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • I saw it as a lesson in delusion to be honest!

Yep. It's hilarous until you remember it's a documentary about real people's actual lives. I could totally relate to their unwillingness to give up on playing music and their absolute refusal to see that they're just not going to make it big.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I understand what people say about the deluded aspect.

I think overall though that although their artistic integrity was somewhat misplaced, as people they came across with quite a lot of dignity.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23146

The film is funny at times but I don't think they're really all that deluded, they've just naively clung onto their dreams a bit longer than most people do.

If you disregard their aspirations, in terms of what they actually do they're no different from 99% of people who play in bands but can't actually make a living from it.  And in fact they've been considerably more successful than most - 15+ albums, major tours... not bad at all really.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    Can you believe I've never seen Spinal Tap...
    OK, I need to watch both!
    The Spinal Tap narrative is depressingly similar to that of any band I've been in that lasted more than a year or two.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5022
    I actually saw them in the UK leg of the tour - which was not filmed - and the played an afternoon gig atbthe Underworld supporting a Pantera trilobite band. :(
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Reverend said:
    I actually saw them in the UK leg of the tour - which was not filmed - and the played an afternoon gig atbthe Underworld supporting a Pantera trilobite band. :(
    Makes sense - Anvil have been going long enough to be called dinosaurs ;-) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The documentary about Anvil is a great one.  

For those who liked that, the documentary about the band 'Pentagram' which is titled 'Last Days Here' is worth checking out. 

Btw, 'Pentagram' are an amazing band.  
    I used to do a Pentagram cover back in 1992
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    edited January 2016
    The film is great. 

Anvil aren't.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    Just watched it on Netflix.  Will have to check out what other albums that producer CT worked on.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I have seen it and found it pretty depressing.

I remember them seeming so likeable and nice that I wanted to like their music far more than I really could, and feeling a bit bad about it.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    Bucket said:
    I have seen it and found it pretty depressing.

I remember them seeming so likeable and nice that I wanted to like their music far more than I really could, and feeling a bit bad about it.
    Same here.... I think you probably had to be there at the time to really appreciate what they did. 

There are so many bands of the time that I still listen to.  My lad is really into his metal but when I played him Possessed, Venom and Celtic Frost, his reaction was, "this is really crap, how can you listen to this?" 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    RobDavies said:
    There are so many bands of the time that I still listen to.  My lad is really into his metal but when I played him Possessed, Venom and Celtic Frost, his reaction was, "this is really crap, how can you listen to this?" 
    I'm a metalhead too but that was really my reaction to the above bands as well, if I'm honest.

I do quite like some Venom - Bloodlust is a great tune, and the Prime Evil album they did with Tony Dolan replacing Cronos is quite good as well, but Possessed and Celtic Frost always rather eluded me.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10896
    I went to a premiere screening of this at Bloomsbury Blowing Lanes back in the day and Anvil played afterwards. The drummer told me, "playing drums is the best feeling in the world, better than sex". He must be having pretty rubbish sex. I don't remember much else apart from everyone being very tall
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Bucket said:
    RobDavies said:
    I'm a metalhead too but that was really my reaction to the above bands as well, if I'm honest.

I do quite like some Venom - Bloodlust is a great tune, and the Prime Evil album they did with Tony Dolan replacing Cronos is quite good as well, but Possessed and Celtic Frost always rather eluded me.
    Venom are sort of entertaining because they are/were so shit, Celtic Frost and Possessed though - come one, To Mega Therion and Seven Churches are both essential. Goes to show how much the definition of 'metal' has changed over the last 25 years I suppose
    Bucket said:
    RobDavies said:

Venom are sort of entertaining because they are/were so shit, Celtic Frost and Possessed though - come one, To Mega Therion and Seven Churches are both essential. Goes to show how much the definition of 'metal' has changed over the last 25 years I suppose
    For years the the older generation always always said "how can you listen  to that, it's just noise" as it was too extreme for them. 

We now have the reverse. Our generation say "how can you listen to that, it's too polite." 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    Reverend said:
    I used to do a Pentagram cover back in 1992
    Was it sign of the wolf or the ghoul? Love those 2.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    Bucket said:
    RobDavies said:

I think we have a lot of pop metal now where you just take a chord progression and replace strumming with chugs and some fast programmed drums and call it a day. It's far less counter culture than it used to be.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ