The Story of Anvil

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I really enjoyed The Story of Anvil, which bits did people find depressing?

There were some hilarious Spinal Tap style scenes (such as the artwork in the toilet)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    @DLM ;

Cheers!
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    The documentary about Anvil is a great one.  

For those who liked that, the documentary about the band 'Pentagram' which is titled 'Last Days Here' is worth checking out. 

Btw, 'Pentagram' are an amazing band.  
    Holy Shit, Im watching this now, thats one fucking depressing story. I had no idea anything about them, a friend gave me a cassette of relentless when I was about 13 and then I reordered on CD several years back and rediscovered them but I had no idea about Bobby's personal life or the number of times they just missed getting somewhere,
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5178
    mellowsun said:
    I really enjoyed The Story of Anvil, which bits did people find depressing?

I don't remember anything specific, but what I found sad was their absolutely unshakeable belief that their big break was just around the corner, even at such personal cost and after so many rejections and failures, and when their music just wasn't that good.

I get that people want to hear those "follow your dreams" stories, and for them to have a happy ending, but the film didn't seem to have that happy ending, and in reality there should probably come a point for some people following some dreams where they realize that it's not going to happen, and it's time to do something else. It was the story of two old men who had already dreamed most of their lives away and weren't about to stop. 

Sure, I found some bits really funny, but I kept remembering that these were real people living their real lives on camera (or at least some version of them), and suddenly it wasn't so funny any more.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23154
    english_bob said:

I get that people want to hear those "follow your dreams" stories, and for them to have a happy ending, but the film didn't seem to have that happy ending, and in reality there should probably come a point for some people following some dreams where they realize that it's not going to happen, and it's time to do something else. It was the story of two old men who had already dreamed most of their lives away and weren't about to stop. 

I know what you mean, but for the most part - and I may not be remembering this accurately - it seemed like they remained naively optimistic and didn't really care that they were working as school janitors (or whatever they were).  It must be better to be school janitors who've had some great times touring with big bands than just to be... school janitors who never did anything else.

And when you look at some of the bands who did make it - like the current incarnations of Ratt, Warrant, Quiet Riot or whoever - they're now stringy (or paunchy) old men with dyed hair, in age-inappropriate trousers, playing on "Rock'n'Roll Kruize" ships.  That seems pretty much equally sad to me.

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5178
    Philly_Q said:

I know what you mean, but for the most part - and I may not be remembering this accurately - it seemed like they remained naively optimistic and didn't really care that they were working as school janitors (or whatever they were).  It must be better to be school janitors who've had some great times touring with big bands than just to be... school janitors who never did anything else.

I agree. If the only options open to you are "school dinner delivery van guy" or "international rock star" and nothing else about your life will change regardless of which one you become then I don't see any harm in continuing to pursue "international rock star" til your dying breath.

I wasn't sure that was the case though. It's been ages since I saw the film too, but I got the impression that they were only doing the menial jobs they were doing because they allowed them the freedom to carry on pursuing their music however and whenever they needed to, and that a great many things about their lives- financially and relationally- would be better (or at least very different) if they accepted that they weren't going to be famous and set about being "normal".

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23154

True, there's no way of knowing what else they might have done in life had things turned out differently.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5022
    The documentary about Anvil is a great one.  

For those who liked that, the documentary about the band 'Pentagram' which is titled 'Last Days Here' is worth checking out. 

Btw, 'Pentagram' are an amazing band.  
    Holy Shit, Im watching this now, thats one fucking depressing story. I had no idea anything about them, a friend gave me a cassette of relentless when I was about 13 and then I reordered on CD several years back and rediscovered them but I had no idea about Bobby's personal life or the number of times they just missed getting somewhere,
    Friend of mine saw them in the early 90s and was backstage. Heard a fight kick off, opened a door to find Bobby beating himself up.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    The guy has serious problems. I knowe the film ends in a high but it's clear he is probably only 1 emotional set back from slipping back to his old lifestyle. Tbh can't believe he survived 40 years like that.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5022
    Last I Heard he was looking at prison time.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3498
    Reverend said:

We now have the reverse. Our generation say "how can you listen to that, it's too polite." 
    Superb. 

Sad news about Bobby Liebling.  
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    The Anvil film is the second saddest film I've ever seen, the saddest being the Arthur Kane film, New York Doll. Both worth watching though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Reverend said:
    Last I Heard he was looking at prison time.
    Indeed, apparently for beating up his own OAP mother
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom