Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What DAW do you use?

What's Hot
I'm contemplating getting back into recording but it's been a while, so things have changed.  In the past I used Cubase when it had midi only capability.  I used Traction 1 & 2 for years then played with Reaper but found the interface a bit too easy to get lost in.

What are you using?
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    I used Protools for a long time. I paid for the full whammy version at education rates. It's an excellent interface but Avid decided after giving me free upgrades since paying the full whack, that they would no longer upgrade me on whatever the OSX upgrade was. So I had nothing. 

Paid the nominal charge for Reaper, full everything including indefinite upgrades and it's excellent. 
  • Reaper for a few years now. Relatively easy to use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10411
    Full actual recording and mixing I prefer Protools and so does my wallet because you can buy a Protools LE interface for a tenner, download PT LE 8.4 for nothing and run it on any old Apple or PC

LE8.4 comes with a superb software synth called Xpand, a great piano VI called Mini Grand and a decent set of plugins. You can pretty much set your budget at £100 including the software, interface and iMac and be happily recording within 10 mins of installing the software ... as there's no drivers to worry about. 

The above wouldn't be an option for general use as old Mac's won't run a current browser or a version of OSX that's usable today but for recording ... old iMac £60  - Protools LE interface - £20 - PT LE8.4 software free download.  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7770
    edited September 2023
    ^^^The PT Le recommendation is a very good shout but I think those interfaces sound crude. If you're recording at home with a mic under £100 then thats totally fine though.

If you're spending over £1k on mics and monitors then I'd recommend a better interface and Reaper. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    edited September 2023
    Pro Tools most of the time now.
    I also use Logic a lot.
    Sometimes Ableton Live, Nuendo.

If you are on a PC then look at Studio One.
    If on a Mac the Logic or Studio One.

If you want to make EDM then Ableton Live.
  • These days, I'm a very kludgy user of Logic when recording at home. It's far too much for my needs, but I'm getting the job done so I'm resistant to converting to something else.

I used to do a lot of iOS-based recording, but I hardly ever do now. 
  • reaper
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24315
    Danny1969 said:
    Full actual recording and mixing I prefer Protools and so does my wallet because you can buy a Protools LE interface for a tenner, download PT LE 8.4 for nothing and run it on any old Apple or PC

LE8.4 comes with a superb software synth called Xpand, a great piano VI called Mini Grand and a decent set of plugins. You can pretty much set your budget at £100 including the software, interface and iMac and be happily recording within 10 mins of installing the software ... as there's no drivers to worry about. 

The above wouldn't be an option for general use as old Mac's won't run a current browser or a version of OSX that's usable today but for recording ... old iMac £60  - Protools LE interface - £20 - PT LE8.4 software free download.  
    I can get an iMac for £60 ? !!

WTF ?

@Danny1969 ;
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
  • Logic
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Reaper
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    I use Studio One - suits me for what I need it for
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10411
    Emp_Fab said:
    Danny1969 said:

I can get an iMac for £60 ? !!

WTF ?

@Danny1969 ;
    You can get a 2008 model or similar for £30  .... that will run PTLE 8 fine. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Harrison Mixbus 32c
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Reaper
    It's not a competition.
  • I run Cubase and Reaper on PC plus Cantabile for live work.  I chose Cubase as my main DAW as, like you, I've used it since the MIDI only days.

It doesn't really matter which DAW you choose since they are all pretty capable and the software won't be the weak link, in the first instance that will be the operator.  If you know someone who can help you then it may be worth adopting the same DAW as they use, otherwise Reaper is hard to beat in terms of value for money (plus there are loads of YouTube videos to guide you through).

• swillerswiller Frets: 1214
    may as well go reaper as its not technically free, but trial version is free and its same version. Think there is both a mac and pc version as well and you can turn into a nerd using it. 
    Cubase is dung, lost a lot of the easy workflow of the atari days and you have to put your dong into the USB port to pass security, all daft things like that.
    Of if shelling out logic is v good if you have a mac and free upgrades , unlike cubase and others where you have to fork out every year for the bug fixes upgrades, of which most are a sack of shite.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2953
    Mixbus, no plug-ins needed.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28233
    edited September 2023
    FL Studio. With Kontakt and Helix Native. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Reaper.
  • Reaper keeps delivering the goods on PC and Mac.. you can get custom interfaces to match familiar ones.

Logic on Mac.

If you want lots of pre-set drum loops and instruments, a Mac and Garageband is going to go a long way.

How are you putting songs together?  All live mic’d acoustic overdubs or sequenced stuff too?