Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What DAW do you use?

What's Hot

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Studio One on Mac mini M1

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Reaper 
  • Reaper on PC here
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Another reaper on pc here too
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Another Reaper on PC here.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7787

Audacity
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Reaper
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 345
    If you’re on a Mac start with GarageBand - it’s free, very capable, and highly intuitive.  It will do most things, but when you get to the point where you feel you need something bigger it’s an easy transition to Logic Pro.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnS37 said:
    If you’re on a Mac start with GarageBand - it’s free, very capable, and highly intuitive.  It will do most things, but when you get to the point where you feel you need something bigger it’s an easy transition to Logic Pro.
    Exactly what I did. 

I think Emp is a PC though
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24312
    I am currently PC....  started off on Atari ST using Pro 24 then Cubase (yes, I am that old).  On PC I've used Cubase and then Tracktion 1 & 2...  tried Reaper.  Wrote a song on FruityLoops.

I have the pc hardware.  I just wonder whether a Mac OS device such as iMac suggested earlier would offer any advantages over the PC equivalent.   I've always quietly admired Macs but never owned one.  Getting a 2008 iMac for next to nothing seems attractive to someone that's never had one.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I use Bitwig

FL is pretty fun for electronic stuff.
  • BodBod Frets: 1301
    edited September 2023
    I flip between several depending on what I'm doing and how I'm feeling. 

Studio One is my main DAW lately.  It's solid and works well.  Their hardware and controller offerings are really good too and integrate seamlessly without any faffing around.  There's a demo, as with most, but you can also subscribe to Studio One+ (was Sphere) and give it a longer run if you need to, plus you get access to all their plugins/instruments and exclusive videos.  It also has a really good remote control app for iOS and Android that works with minimal effort.

I use Ableton Live with my Push 2 for songwriting.  I can record parts and variations and trigger them on the fly to play around with arrangements.  It's great for experimentation and happy accidents.

I also own Reason, but haven't used the DAW side of it since they made the VST plugins for effects and instruments available.

I started out on Cubase v1 on PC, and stuck with it for many years until SX3.  Latterly, I bought Cubase 11 then sold it.  Then decided to give it another go and bought Cubase 12 Pro.  It's a buggy mess in serious need of overhaul.  Interface inconsistencies, poor window management, bugs that have been around for many major releases that never get resolved, infrequent updates.  I still really want to love it, but I just can't recommend it to anybody.  Steinberg are always very quick to blame "dodgy" plugins on their problems, despite said plugins being rock solid on other platforms. 
  • tbh getting obsessed with choosing a DAW is really just a distraction. They are all incredibly capable these days. If you find any of them hard to use (including reaper) then tbh it shows a lack of investment of effort on your part. with the amount of high quality beginner focused material available on youtube across all DAW's you've really got no excuse. 

So.......just pick one and write some music. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    I use Logic, but that's mostly because I'm on a Mac... I learned to use Cubase about a million years ago when I was at college.
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    tbh getting obsessed with choosing a DAW is really just a distraction. They are all incredibly capable these days. If you find any of them hard to use (including reaper) then tbh it shows a lack of investment of effort on your part. with the amount of high quality beginner focused material available on youtube across all DAW's you've really got no excuse. 

So.......just pick one and write some music. 
    This. They all have a steep learning curve to start with, so if you give up on one and start with another, you'll waste a lot of time learning a new system.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2288
    I used Cubase but switched to Propellerhead Reason as I found it quicker and more intuitive to work with. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Started on a light version of pro-tools that came with my M-Box 2. But of course Avid decided to de-support that great little interface.
    Spent a while on cracked versions of Cubase. Then a long time on Reaper, but I found I was spending too much time playing with the look and feel and workflow options rather than actually creating.
    Then back an fourth between Studio one and Cakewalk (when it was free).
    Currently have both Logic (via my son's family share) and Studio one Artist (free licence with my Presonus interface).
    I find I now use logic for sketching out songs, but Studio One for actual recording and mixing.
    I do find Logic relies far too much on short cuts which is great for a very regular user, but not the occasional hobbyist. But because it comes with so many instruments it is good to get a song started.
    However I recently moved from PC to M2 Mac mini and am pissed quite a few plugs-in are no longer compatible, especially Xpand!

• Moved from Ableton to Reaper, mainly because Ableton updates were costing more than I thought was justifiable given that Reaper looked like it would serve my purpose just as well at a lower price. I think that was a solid decision. But I'm not a frequent or expert enough recorder for my recommendation to count for much.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    edited September 2023
    PC_Dave said:
    I use Studio One - suits me for what I need it for
    Same.  It came with my entry-level interface but I like it.

I have EZ Drummer, too, which can work alone or within Studio One.

I also have Logic now but l haven’t figured out how to use it yet.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6117
    Reaper. 
    I liked Mixbus too but can never get it to work with my Roland Octa Capture.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"