Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What DAW do you use?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• I love Logic Pro , but I’ve not used it for ages & will literally have to start from scratch ,I’ve got my plugins loaded anyway , some 80s synth’s  and Eventide H3000 factory & tricerachorus 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I use Cakewalk. It's free and it's good. Yep it's soon going to be unsupported but it's a full pro set up for nothing. Hard to argue against tbh - give it a go, nothing lost but your time.

I started out using the first version of Cubase, and can remember version 1 of fruity loops. I used Acid for a while too.

I've got a mac set up with Logic Pro X but haven't had the time to get to grips with it. 
  • Logic, because it's cheap and equipped with more than enough plugins and instruments for my needs (demoing stuff for my band and doing some kraut/electronic/kosmische stuff for my personal Soundcloud), so I don't have to invest in them or overload my system exploring other free and paid possibilities.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2142
    Pro Tools. 

Downgraded to Studio from Ultimate a few months ago. 

Have got Reaper installed to learn. 
  • Been using Cakewalk for a good while now..  does what I need...

Will probably have to look for an alternative solution eventually
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    edited September 2023
    I use Cubase, mostly Cubase Elements 8 because it doesn't need the usb dongle plugged in. I also have Artist 11 which I've never really used yet to be honest but I will do when I finally buy my new desktop computer as I'll be able to leave the usb plugged in. I think the only difference I'll really notice is more plugins and less error messages when booting it up (can't find this, don't have license for this, la di da di da)

I have got Reaper but I don't think I'll bother installing it on the new machine as I find it too hard to do the simple things that I know how to do on Cubase - not a criticism of the software as such, but more my ability to learn and remember new stuff in the very short periods of time I have to actually do any recording.

That's why I use Cubase - I started on Cubasis at school in early 00s, 6th form used Cubase as well, so while it's annoying at times (As is literally every piece of software for anything, ever, to somebody of my brain style) I do know how to do basics really quickly and that's the level I'm operating at.

It does seem to change random settings each time I open it though - forgets interface settings, or my keyboard will work as a midi input for instruments on one track, then I open another and it doesn't then work on either of them, but again I suspect it's just that I don't have enough time or intelligence to work it out properly
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28207
    I use Bitwig

FL is pretty fun for electronic stuff.
    The recording side of FLS works really well too. 

I like it because the drum pattern stuff works really well. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • So @Emp_Fab ...how many tunes have  you recorded so far? 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24306
    I only got the bloody iMac sorted on the weekend!  I haven't even looked at any Pro Tools tutorials yet!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

You know you just might not. I will keep going with Cakewalk until it can't do something I want it to do. This is an unlikely scenario for me given that it's a hobby and I usually just record audio and midi, do a bit of mixing and mastering. The spec is way overkill for even that requirement.

Cakewalk gets no credit really and it's a brilliant bit of kit, chock full of features and has a good workflow. All for nowt.
    Why it isn't the default go to for anyone looking for an inexpensive option, I don't know. I'd pick it over Reaper anyday.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Reaper, with my Helix rack.

There are loads of really good vids on YT now.
  • Snap said:

You know you just might not. I will keep going with Cakewalk until it can't do something I want it to do. This is an unlikely scenario for me given that it's a hobby and I usually just record audio and midi, do a bit of mixing and mastering. The spec is way overkill for even that requirement.

Cakewalk gets no credit really and it's a brilliant bit of kit, chock full of features and has a good workflow. All for nowt.
    Why it isn't the default go to for anyone looking for an inexpensive option, I don't know. I'd pick it over Reaper anyday.
    Here's hoping. 
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?