Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Shred with Shifty- Sambora

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
edited September 2023 in Guitar
Not the greatest episode. Kinda surprised it made it to release. All other episodes have been 2 guitarists geeking out on gear, stories, songs etc. This must have been a difficult for Chris as Sambora is still struggling with his addiction which is a shame. He is / was a great player responsible for massive hits but sadly dwelling on the past.

An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Ouch. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Blimey , he sounds like Rocky after a tough fight. Such a shame as he had it all - looks , the swagger and fantastic pop/ rock chops.

Fingers crossed he comes out the other side 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I've enjoyed the others in this run and this should be good on paper, but this sounds worrying :( 

Will have a look after work
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    I've been really open that I'm a huge fan of Sambora but wow this is quite sad to see and as @rsvmark said I'm surprised this actually made it to being published.

I didn't really appreciate the comment he made about 's**itting the other two guys off'. Very disrespectful to John Shanks and Phil X both of whom are incredibly talented musicians. 

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Let's be honest at this stage in their careers Phil X has forgotten more technique than Sambora ever had. Which he has also forgotten. 

Loved him. I blame him meeting Orianthi.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    gubble said:
    I've been really open that I'm a huge fan of Sambora but wow this is quite sad to see and as @rsvmark said I'm surprised this actually made it to being published.

I didn't really appreciate the comment he made about 's**itting the other two guys off'. Very disrespectful to John Shanks and Phil X both of whom are incredibly talented musicians. 

Me neither. I am trying not to be too judgemental as no one chooses to be an addict. But he has had problems with alcohol for years (iirc it was a factor in him leaving the band in the first place) and he hasn’t come out on top yet
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • As a long time fan this is a tough watch.  I heard the comment as 'Shut the other two off', but given his state it could well be what others heard.  He needs some help to sort out his problems.

I think Shiflett did a great job letting him waffle, but dragging him back when he could.

I'm looking forward to the Brad Paisley episode.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1085
    edited September 2023
    I got to 30 mins in and just found it such hard work. And so sad. There's more chance of me re-joining Bon Jovi than Richie. 

Funny I went down a Bon Jovi rabbit hole last night and there are some amazing Richie and Bon Jovi performances. Wembley 1995, Always in 2008 with his LP Junior, and Hey God at the 1995 MTV awards.

Clearly Richie was at his best with his Strats, but I did like it when he played more Gibson guitars during the These Days and Bounce eras.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10428
    tFB Trader
    Deeply sad ... I literally watched a couple of minutes ... couldn't watch more.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• I think out of any of the band, it's Jon who should retire.
  • Never bothered with this band, and as such am ignorant of any issues. Is Sambora under the influence here or has something happened to him?
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    That`s difficult to watch :-(

I never really used to appreciate Sambora against other 80s players - but now appreciate that his playing was perfect for the songs, the songs were great and his vocals were a huge part of the band.

Great all round player - unfortunately he`s struggled for a while hasn`t he? Hope he gets better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    That's a great shame. 

I'm not sure if he's under the influence during the interview or if he's just damaged from everything that's happened to him, but either way I find it hard to watch.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    soma1975 said:
    I blame him meeting Orianthi.
    She's now with Tracii Guns!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    I was a big Bon Jovi fan from late '83 when they first released Runaway till about 1991. Sambora was exceptional, but he got shafted when the record company wanted to make it the Jon Bon Jovi show and Richie got pushed out of the limelight. The fact that he was drinking/ doing drugs (as a result or was doing so anyway ...who knows).

I kind of hated New Jersey (too dirge like in places and Springsteen wannbe sounding), but thought Keep the Faith and These Days were a good recovery.

The album that gets overlooked and brushed under the carpet because the production could have been better (and was later overshadowed by the success of Slippery When Wet) was 7800 Fahrenheit, but it was a great album and Sambora did some great playing on it too.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    In terms of how he seems in the video it reminds me that many former alcoholics never lose that slurred vocal  sound - like Ace Frehley for example, or Ozzy 

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11704
    Ouch.  That's a hard watch.  And I'm willing to bet that wasn't water in his plastic bottle.

Sad.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    In terms of how he seems in the video it reminds me that many former alcoholics never lose that slurred vocal  sound - like Ace Frehley for example, or Ozzy 
    Joe Walsh too.  

As one of my heroes I'll give this a watch, but am not looking forward to it from what I've read here, nor am I surprised sadly after watching some of the dayime TV interviews Richie did following his Masked Singer 'triumph'.
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    edited September 2023
    I love the guy so could only watch a couple of minutes. Know he's had his demons but probably unfair to assume, rightly or wrongly, if he's currently battling hard against them as he's in his 60s and has lived a pretty full on rock and roll life. Could just be the accumulation of both, could be that he's struggling again but wish him well regardless.

Wrote so many iconic riffs and an absolute master of the short solo - not many players in the game who could give you something more fitting and memorable given, say, an 8 bar break to work with. That ability to fuse sing-able lines with great licks that is so hard to get right. Proper player.

Also, one hell of a singer. Some of the (not so recent) videos where he takes vocals for Bon Jovi songs his voice is absolutely sublime.

Wish him all the best.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Jon Bon Jovi's voice is shot sadly , which is why for years he did slowed down "country  music" style versions of his songs .

I think because f the mega success they got kept out on the road too long when they needed a break and it wrecked them

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom