Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Shred with Shifty- Sambora

What's Hot

Comments

• . Sambora was exceptional, but he got shafted when the record company wanted to make it the Jon Bon Jovi show and Richie got pushed out of the limelight. 
    That’s the way it’s always been though as Jon is the one that signed the record deal. All the other guys in the band are paid employees. 

It’s always been the Jon Bon Jovi show. Richie’s solo career will always play second fiddle. That’s why undiscovered soul did so bad as the label wouldn’t throw money behind it to promote it as Jon and Bon Jovi itself had priority on everything. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's tragic :anguished: 

I'm not a big Jovi fan but I like Sambora's playing and I do play WDOA. However, I like his solo stuff better and this track is my favourite. I think it really shows his versatility (guitar and voice) to the full:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • . Sambora was exceptional, but he got shafted when the record company wanted to make it the Jon Bon Jovi show and Richie got pushed out of the limelight. 
    That’s the way it’s always been though as Jon is the one that signed the record deal. All the other guys in the band are paid employees. 
    Runaway was recorded with Tim Pierce on guitar and bass before JBJ recruited the rest of the band. It has always been the JBJ show even though Ritchie has contributed massively.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    . Sambora was exceptional, but he got shafted when the record company wanted to make it the Jon Bon Jovi show and Richie got pushed out of the limelight. 
    Runaway was recorded with Tim Pierce on guitar and bass before JBJ recruited the rest of the band. It has always been the JBJ show even though Ritchie has contributed massively.

yeah - quicky became aware of Tim Pierce who was also playing for Rick Springfield. Love his YouTube channel too.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    DLM said:
    soma1975 said:
    I blame him meeting Orianthi.
    She's now with Tracii Guns!
    Not a surprise. 

Those old videos from Norms Rare Guitars where she was wondering around checking stuff out looking like she was waiting for Richie to put another vintage Telecaster on his tab for her before they go get wasted were nasty. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Whilst he had some great later stuff like Dry County , I always loved his stuff on the early albums

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Alcohol is a shitty drug. Sambora was an excellent guitarists for BonJovi.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've always loved Richie, his playing and was equally a good singer as Jon. For many of us a contributing factor to picking up the guitar in the first place 

It's hard to watch, as it's documented for years he has struggled with alcohol and that was right up there with Oliver Reed.

Saying that, it was entertaining for the stories and playing.  Shame he can't play the Dead or Alive solo in that video though! Gives us all an excuse the next time we cock it up live - that's how Richie plays it 
  • Ok, I watched the first 5 mins and it wasn't as bad as I'd imagined from the comments, though I'll admit I haven't got to any guitar playing yet. 

I've never been a huge Jovi fan but there's no doubting they were phenonenal at their best and Sambora was a massive part of that. These two alone are just a masterclass 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGLeR65sBxc 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XXM1B3Nitw 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • It was pretty cool watching Shifty teach Sambora the solo
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I got to 35 mins and tapped out.  Sorry to see him like this, he’s all over the shop with bad playing and just a mess in general. 

Really hope he gets himself sorted. He’s been far worse since around the time he hooked up with Orianthi. Doesn’t seem to have got back on track since. 
  • I was a big Bon Jovi fan from late '83 when they first released Runaway till about 1991. Sambora was exceptional, but he got shafted when the record company wanted to make it the Jon Bon Jovi show and Richie got pushed out of the limelight. The fact that he was drinking/ doing drugs (as a result or was doing so anyway ...who knows).

I kind of hated New Jersey (too dirge like in places and Springsteen wannbe sounding), but thought Keep the Faith and These Days were a good recovery.

The album that gets overlooked and brushed under the carpet because the production could have been better (and was later overshadowed by the success of Slippery When Wet) was 7800 Fahrenheit, but it was a great album and Sambora did some great playing on it too.
    7800 F is one of my top faves ,  in n outta love ,Tokyo road, hardest part is the night, only lonely etc absolutely love it &it’s from 1985 a very special time in my life  . I agree it started to slide with NJ although I still enjoyed it but like you said , it went very Brucey  . That first album though with runaway, roulette, breakout & she don’t know me , awesome 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22837
    I've never been the biggest Richie Sambora fan - the hats and star inlays didn't help - but I think he was every bit as important to Bon Jovi's early success as JBJ was. I don't think getting him back in the band now would achieve anything though. Sometimes it's best to let sleeping dogs lie (KK Downing take note).

Bon Jovi's not a band I follow any more, it seems to me they left rock music behind a long time ago, but I still like the first two and a half albums.
  • Another video of him from not that far back and, to me, the guitar playing and vocals are just superb. Not for everyone I'll admit, but for me it's fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyurkgEW0HM&ab_channel=Scorpionas360
  • The video has been made private now. Which is weird cos Richie promoted it himself on instagram. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Switch625 said:
    The video has been made private now. Which is weird cos Richie promoted it himself on instagram. 

I doubt he runs his own social media

• So in spite of Sambora being a grown man who is responsible for his own actions, we have a couple of contributors blaming his ex partner for his problems and effectively calling her a gold-digger despite the fact that she's a successful and talented musician in her own right.

With blatant misogyny on display it's hardly surprising this place has such a lack of diversity. Not exactly the most inviting environment for prospective female members.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7226
    BigPaulie said:
    So in spite of Sambora being a grown man who is responsible for his own actions, we have a couple of contributors blaming his ex partner for his problems and effectively calling her a gold-digger despite the fact that she's a successful and talented musician in her own right.

With blatant misogyny on display it's hardly surprising this place has such a lack of diversity. Not exactly the most inviting environment for prospective female members.
    Have the comments you refer to been removed?  I've scrolled through all of them and don't see any comments like that.
  • BillDL said:
    BigPaulie said:
    So in spite of Sambora being a grown man who is responsible for his own actions, we have a couple of contributors blaming his ex partner for his problems and effectively calling her a gold-digger despite the fact that she's a successful and talented musician in her own right.

Have the comments you refer to been removed?  I've scrolled through all of them and don't see any comments like that.
    Nope. Still there.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    I can't say I see much gold in Tracii Guns' coffers for Orianthi to dig.