Poopot's Cover Challenge #24 - K - voting

What's Hot

Comments

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Reminder that voting closes tonight at 11.30pm

And trolling closes at 9.30am today so better get those last shots fired, bruh
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mrkb said:
    Habanero said:
    We should definitely all do ‘More Than A Feeling’ for the ‘M’ round.  =)
    And "We Don't Take About Bruno" when it comes to W

There's actually a perfect response track starting with L

but I'm not going to name it as I'lm going to track it this weekend and wouldn't want to influence the winner's song choice
    Is it Becks classic hit?
    No. But that would fit well too.

This is a contemporary female artist who is well known for directly responding to critics through her art (not Adele)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I suppose we've done well to get up to Cover Challenge #24 without having to reverently invoke Forum Rule #1 (and maybe Forum Rule #2). Such a flagrant call for attention, which is fine in Off Topic but really frustrating in what is an actively positive and supportive area of the forum for those of us who actually have the guts to put stuff out there to be heard, rather than just hiding behind their childish sneers in the area of the site which has nothing to do with the subject of the site.

As somebody who struggles with confidence/esteem as well as procrastination responses, it actually feels good to put things in to the Cover and Composition challenges and see my work alongside others who've done the same because it's a supportive and encouraging crowd.

If I were a newbie to it, I'd probably think twice if I knew some goblin would just sit there sneering at the stuff wrong with my entries, which is a sad thought - in fact would you like to rip mine apart for all the things wrong with it? My poor time keeping, my missed beat on the intro, my slightly flat F# at the ends of phrases, the timing and false starts of my harmonies, the two much reverb and eq on my vocal, i've probably also exported at the wrong volume again, it's a bit one dimensional and dull for you perhaps. These are all the kinds of insecurities the good folks here work hard to overcome in the interest of keeping this going - who are you to come in and sneer at one specific thing you didn't like?

I'll step back off my soapbox and may well remove this rant later when I cool down as I don't want to derail the thread giving headspace to this kind of nonsense
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    By coincidence I've recently written the lyrics for a song about internet trolling, which I eventually intend to enter in the Composition Challenge. Whether I'll get time before this deadline remains to be seen...
  • Back on topic, blimey @Bezzer comparing to Graham Coxon, very flattered with that and will take it and run
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    edited October 2023
    Emp_Fab said:
    Bezzer said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I'm not trolling.  It's a genuine question !  I'm not staying in here, I just happened across it and was slightly puzzled by everyone pretending not to notice.
    It is trolling, even if not intentionally. To give an honest answer ... because unlike vast swathes of this forum THIS bit is about encouraging people to take part, to hear different ideas, to improve yourself and maybe learn from everyone else. I can hand on heart say I've enjoyed listen to every track everyone has submitted for every challenge. Absolutely genuinely.

But you know, noted, if you choose to enter one I will make sure to give you a suitable critique of your talents or lack thereof.
    Ok.  But how can anyone "improve themselves" if they don't get any honest feedback?  Not one person here has offered any help or constructive criticism for the particular entry I'm referring to. In fact, no-one has made any reference to it at all.  Pretending it doesn't exist isn't helping the artist improve, it's just selfish.

That's not trolling - it's honesty.

Anyway, I'll leave you all to it.  I have no desire to derail this thread any further.
    Insults someone in the playlist but doesn't actually say who he is referring to, goes on to insult the competition itself, calls all of the participants selfish then makes a sharp exit, leaving his presence on this thread lingering like a stale turd... 

You seem to be confused about the nature of this challenge:

All that is required is to pick your top three and post them in the thread below.

Pick what you like best, which is what everyone (apart from you) has done, offering congratulations to everyone who took the time, put in the effort and put themselves out there is not "giving everyone a medal for taking part"  it is just some common courtesy and who are you to tell others that have enjoyed all of the entries that they are wrong? I would encourage you to record a cover for the next challenge so you can show us all how it is done.

People do seek feedback on occasion, this is normally done over PMs unless requested in the thread and feedback would always be constructive. Speaking of which, what is your feedback for  "The one with the um....  interesting vocals... ?" would you care to expand on your statement and offer anything of actual value, or are you by your own standards going to be selfish by not offering the entrant to opportunity to improve? Looking forward to hearing your critique!     

We improve our ability through practice, and this challenge gives people the opportunity to do this across their vocal, instrumental, recording and production skill-sets. We have been doing this for over 5 years now and you are the first person to come on to one of these threads, make shitty remarks that insult the competition, it's entrants and their efforts and provide nothing of any actual use or substance. If you want to vote or provide the feedback you feel is required, please go ahead. Otherwise fuck off back to the bridge you live under.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 460
    5 pts to @IMC1980 ;
    3 pts to @stratman3142 ;
    1 pt to @mrkb ;
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    Suggestion for next challenges: why don't we drop the "The" from song names? That would allow a significant increase in the number of songs we can cover for each letter. Otherwise, when we get to the letter T, there will a huge choice.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    fnpt said:
    Suggestion for next challenges: why don't we drop the "The" from song names?

So that means you want to do The Look by Roxette for L?

• fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    fnpt said:

You read my mind
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • I don't think I'd even notice if the The was dropped from a song title to be honest, so I'd agree with that. L actually seems to have quite a few good ones for me personally whereas K was hard - so I'd say it was a good idea still if it allows more entries
    fnpt said:
    fnpt said:

You read my mind
    Thought so ..

I'm good with that rule change but it's down to the will of the people 
  • fnpt said:
    fnpt said:

You read my mind
    Thought so ..

I'm good with that rule change but it's down to will of the people, the
    Fixed that for you
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6830
    Yes makes sense to drop The The 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    Works for me too
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27545
    Just dropping in as “something” in the thread caught my attention ;)

Im not going to vote because (a) I don’t have the time to listen properly before the votes close and (b) on first listen, I don’t know how I’d split my top 5 or 6 tracks.

But I had to add a genuine “wow” for quality of stuff on the playlist, the creativity and diversity, the range of musicianship and the time put into them all.

One day, I might find the time, but not sure I’d find the musicianship, creativity or quality! 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Stop being so modest @TTony - we'll look forward to hearing an entry from you one day

And thanks for popping by. I was very close to unleashing my inner poopot and facing a retaliatory bellend ban
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Voting closed 
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    mrkb said:
    Enjoyed hearing all the entries this month - a wide range of styles!

5pts - Kids in America - @IMC1980 ; would love to find out the technique you use to record vocals and backing vox - sounds great
    3pts - Karma Chameleon - @Idiotwind - thats alot of effort and a great result for a completely new take on a cover!
    1pt - Killer - @flying_pie , haunting interpretation.
    Recorded the vocals in an untreated room with an SE Electronics 4400a into an Audient ID22, preamp gain at "2 O'clock", verse has a high and low octave, pre chorus is the same but both octaves are double tracked. For the backing vocals I stood further back from the mic when singing and for the outro a couple of feet back. Let me know if you want to know anything else. 
    IMC1980 said:
    mrkb said:
    Enjoyed hearing all the entries this month - a wide range of styles!

5pts - Kids in America - @IMC1980 ;; would love to find out the technique you use to record vocals and backing vox - sounds great
    Recorded the vocals in an untreated room with an SE Electronics 4400a into an Audient ID22, preamp gain at "2 O'clock", verse has a high and low octave, pre chorus is the same but both octaves are double tracked. For the backing vocals I stood further back from the mic when singing and for the outro a couple of feet back. Let me know if you want to know anything else. 
    He's also a bloody good singer with very accurate pritch and knows how to use compression really well for the higher notes. That's more important than mic choice, double tracking, octave layers, reverb or delay