SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Maybe WTB acoustic - Now Sorted :)

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27608
edited October 2023 in Acoustics £
I've been thinking about a new acoustic.  Spent a lot of time watching lots of YT videos, reading spec sheets, scanning eBay/Reverb and generally thinking.

I'd originally looked at the Taylor 314 CE (v-bracing), influenced in large part by my mini and T5z (which are both built and play beautifully) and more generally by the Taylor customer services, but have widened my search because - well, because there's so much else out there (Furch, Eastman, et al) that maybe offer better VFM.

It would be;
  • electro (to make recording so much easier), but without a big control plate cut into the side, 
  • with a cutaway, 
  • Taylor GA sort of size (ie not a big dread size),
  • not too hung up on nut width or scale length,
  • probably spruce top over mahogany or rosewood but I've also seen plenty of very pretty exotics (probably not maple though), solid woods,
  • used mainly for finger-picking/strumming (no picks involved).
I might just take myself and my credit card down to Peach sometime.  But s/h is always an option too.  I'd be a bit wary of spending that much via eBay/Reverb, but thought a post here might tempt an un-played something out of a cupboard or from under a bed or wherever!

I was looking at £1k-£1.5k (new price), so buying s/h could either save me some ££s or allow me to trade up to something more spendy.  

Or, alternatively, I might just spend more time doing more with what I've got!
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTony said:

A favourite saying of the wife!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How about this?
    Cutaway, pickup is to die for and its a lot of guitar for the money. I'm a fingerpicker primarily also and this does that warm big sound thing perfectly:
    FS/T *further Price drop*: Martin Grand Performance 35 series with Fishman Aura pick-up system - Acoustics £ Discussions on theFretBoard

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27608
    TTony said:

I thought it was "stop playing with that thing and put it away" @guitarjack66 ;
    ;)
  • TTony said:
    TTony said:

I thought it was "stop playing with that thing and put it away" @guitarjack66 ;
    ;)
    That was the Police Officer that arrested me!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    Go and see Richard ;) he has some lovely guitars in stock that you might like very much
    sev112 said:
    Go and see Richard 
    Honestly, I'd really like to (no, really, I would!).

I'd prefer to buy from someone who's independent and has that level of passion for what he does.  I've watched a few of his videos, and those have certainly widened my original thinking (Furch for example) as well as prompting me to go look at some other aspects of acoustic design.  He's invested a lot of time and effort and I've benefitted from some of that.

OTOH, the website is a complete pita and if I took a trip over there, I'd like to be bringing a guitar back with me, not waiting around for them to complete their pre-sale QC and set-up on it.  Plus half of their website stock isn't actually *in* stock, it's available to order and they couldn't tell me what's coming in when so I might be over there a day before a large delivery of just-what-I-wanteds.

Peach is 1/3rd of the distance and I know has a good few options, albeit the more mainstream/recognised brands, so that's where I'd be going if I go for new.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    TTony said:
    sev112 said:
    Go and see Richard 
    Honestly, I'd really like to (no, really, I would!).

I'd prefer to buy from someone who's independent and has that level of passion for what he does.  I've watched a few of his videos, and those have certainly widened my original thinking (Furch for example) as well as prompting me to go look at some other aspects of acoustic design.  He's invested a lot of time and effort and I've benefitted from some of that.

OTOH, the website is a complete pita and if I took a trip over there, I'd like to be bringing a guitar back with me, not waiting around for them to complete their pre-sale QC and set-up on it.  Plus half of their website stock isn't actually *in* stock, it's available to order and they couldn't tell me what's coming in when so I might be over there a day before a large delivery of just-what-I-wanteds.

Peach is 1/3rd of the distance and I know has a good few options, albeit the more mainstream/recognised brands, so that's where I'd be going if I go for new.
    Fair enough distance and website wise :)
  • Have you seen the brook guitar up for sale in this section. 
    Have you seen the brook guitar up for sale in this section. 
    Thanks @Christeafur - but no cutaway, double my ideal price, limited electro, and a long long way from me.

I'm aware of the reputation of the make, but it's not going to work for me unfortunately.
  • So a perfect fit then
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What do you have guitar wise, I seem to remember a mention of a McIlroy? How are you getting on with it? Honestly, I think its worth sticking with what you have and save yourself £1500.
    Bradders said:
    What do you have guitar wise, I seem to remember a mention of a McIlroy? How are you getting on with it? Honestly, I think its worth sticking with what you have and save yourself £1500.
    Hi @Bradders - no, it's not me with the McIiroy.  I've mainly being playing my GS Mini of late, also have a Taylor 12 string (which I may well try to p/ex if I buy from a shop) and a Faith electro which is nice, but feels like I'm missing an undefined "something".
  • I have a Furch for sale!
    Looks like you do @DeepBlueWitch ;

But I see no cutaway, and you mention no pickup capabilities.

:(
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    edited October 2023
    And if my memory doesn't fail me in my old age, he's at the other end of the country. That's why I didn't offer my L'Arrivee which has a pick up.
  • The key words here are "credit" and "card"

As Journey said, "be good to yourself... Nobody else will..." 

Enjoy your trip to Peach and let me know if you try the Larrivee's 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3220
    edited October 2023
    Guitarguitar are having a Taylor American Dream blow out in your price range…

edit: ignore me, no cutaways.
    The key words here are "credit" and "card"

Access to funding isn't really the limiting factor here - I can live with spending £1k(ish) without feeling that I was buying a Ferrari to go to Lidl for the weekly shop ;) 

For that budget, I reckon I'll find something that "won't hold back my playing" or not sound as good as my ears can appreciate.  Spending more would be wasted on me and I'd always be looking to justify (to myself) having spent the extra.

Guitarguitar are having a Taylor American Dream blow out in your price range…

edit: ignore me, no cutaways.
    Thanks @Teyeplayer - took a quick look before your edit, but there was nothing there that quite ticked my boxes.  Plus there's not really a GG store within reasonable travel and I'd prefer to play before I buy.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3220
    Another thought Tony, would be to pop over to see the Auden guys in Northamptonshire. 
    Another thought Tony, would be to pop over to see the Auden guys in Northamptonshire. 
    Auden were on my longlist, and I've not discounted them completely yet.

But the Eastman range looks to be better VFM with a similar business model (ie MiC) albeit the Auden have some onshore work done before sale.  Peach have some Eastmans in stock too.

Also wondering about 12fret guitars (choice for 12fret cutaways is fairly limited) given how much I've enjoyed playing my GS mini.  Had already decided that I didn't want a Jumbo/Dread sized guitar, so a 12fret might be an interesting option too.  Not many around though.