Best natural, transparent, edge of break up pedal?

What's Hot

Comments

• Bogner Blue set low on Plexi setting is lovely.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1691
    Caline High Chief is my fave low gain OD of any I've tried at any price point. Less gritty than the Blue Sky. I don't know why I bother recommending it, no-one ever tries it!
  • enjoenjo Frets: 280
    Cornerstone Gladio is what I use - very responsive.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1566
    Been through the Timmy and Peacekeeper. Still have a Dane on all my boards, but what I use for edge of breakup is a Benson Preamp. An amazing pedal.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1519
    edited October 2023
    It will depend on the type of "natural break up" you're after, I guess.

Timmy (which we know you absolutely hate )
    Spark (4 knob)
    Peacekeeper

ODR (with bass cut)
    Zoom Power Driver.

Bluesbreaker, Barbershop, Sweet Honey all do a cracking low gain, but it's got "character".

Box of Rock, MojoMojo, Tech 21 Charecter pedals, Catalinbread stuff also do great low gain, with a bit more "personality"

DOD 250, Distortion+, Rat, TS, can all do low gain, but neutral they are not.

Erm, Fuzzface?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 267
    Most do what you want tbh.  Comes down to a feel thing.  I love the Vemuram Jan ray.  Lightspeed was great but I didn’t like it with my current amp.  And bluesbreaker style pedal will do that also.  Maybe look into the Kingtone blues power also
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7868
    Been through the Timmy and Peacekeeper. Still have a Dane on all my boards, but what I use for edge of breakup is a Benson Preamp. An amazing pedal.
    I'd probably take this recommendation if reading this thread. One of our best gearslutz.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1566
    I'd probably take this recommendation if reading this thread. One of our best gearslutz.
    Oh the infamy  =)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 322
    Barber LTD Silver 
  • NickBNickB Frets: 269
    Barber 1/2 Gainer if you can find one...
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7693
    Def worth trying a Lightspeed. 

Transparent is an odd thing that means different things to different people. Lightspeed definitely lightens the low end, but does not have a mid hump. 

ODR-1 is too bassy for me - but that may well be it being flat/transparent in the low end, which then seems more prominent when boosted. 

Wasn’t the Xotic RC meant to be exactly what you’re talking about back before a thousand booteek brands ? 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2249
    I think there is a fine line between transparent and boring ODs 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 510
    Extra votes from me for the following:

Benson Preamp
    Anarchy Gold Class
    Kingsley Page

All are exceptional
    Got a Benson Preamp recently and I am really enjoy it, from boost to fuzzy sounds but it sounds natural or more clear than the Hudson Broadcast!

I also recommend the Decibelics Golden Horse or Royale, it's a Klon Clone but sounds fantastic the royale gives you the advantage of having two Klon sides so you can set one as a booster and the other as a more OD crunch.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29050
    GoFish said:

Zoom Power Driver.
    I think I've got one of them in a box somewhere. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Most of the ODs I see labelled as "transparent" I find are anything but!

Transparent, to me, means you get a great sound on your amp, and when you kick in the pedal, that sound remains - just a little (or a lot) hairier.

I guess this is why I don't get on with the vast majority of pedals. Most of the time I dial the amp in just how I want it, try kicking in a "transparent" overdrive - and the entire EQ changes. The highs shift or disappear altogether, the lows get lighter, it's a different sound entirely.

That why I love the Kingsley Page and Harlot. It's just your amp sound, but more of it.

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1519
    edited October 2023
    Sporky said:
    GoFish said:

Zoom Power Driver.
    I think I've got one of them in a box somewhere. 

I think we all do B

I marginally preferred a Timmy type to it, but very little in it. That whole Zoom range was amongst the best things they've ever done. 

Confession time - I think the Nobels was the most boring drive pedal I've ever tried - maybe that could be right for your uses, OP?

Not to be cheeky - we've all got our peccadilloes. I love, love, love a Bluesbreaker, but I'm sure ICBM will have good reasons why I shouldn't!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 537
    Duke of Tone in boost mode.

Or as others have suggested- try a Pure Sky. Cheap and excellent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2341
    I’m surprised no-one has yet mentioned the Origin Effects RevivalDrive Compact. I use one for exactly this purpose on my rock’n’roll pedal board - I blend in some of the clean signal so that engaging the pedal gives almost the same sound, but a tad louder and with a little bit of break-up. It’s capable of a lot more than that, and used examples come up in tFB market place now and then.
  • I either posted a similar thread, or took on advice from a similar thread a couple of years ago.

The unanimous steering I got was towards a Klon clone. Subsequently ended up with a J Rockett Archer.

I can hand on heart say it changed my world, and given me the perfect sound for my playing at home. A full on revolution from frustration to perfection.

Surprised it doesn’t appear to have been mentioned so far, albeit I expect any half decent version will do the same job.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 662
    Why not try a Boss GE7 with the eq set flat and just boost the level?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom