Best natural, transparent, edge of break up pedal?

What's Hot

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7838
    I either posted a similar thread, or took on advice from a similar thread a couple of years ago.

The unanimous steering I got was towards a Klon clone. Subsequently ended up with a J Rockett Archer.

I can hand on heart say it changed my world, and given me the perfect sound for my playing at home. A full on revolution from frustration to perfection.

Surprised it doesn’t appear to have been mentioned so far, albeit I expect any half decent version will do the same job.
    I find them nasal sounding. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NickBNickB Frets: 267
    I either posted a similar thread, or took on advice from a similar thread a couple of years ago.

The unanimous steering I got was towards a Klon clone. Subsequently ended up with a J Rockett Archer.

I can hand on heart say it changed my world, and given me the perfect sound for my playing at home. A full on revolution from frustration to perfection.

Surprised it doesn’t appear to have been mentioned so far, albeit I expect any half decent version will do the same job.
    I find them nasal sounding. 
    Likewise. Don’t get the hype. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Another Klon clone to consider is the RYRA, gain at zero, tweak the treble and volume to suit just adds a little something extra. Or crank the gain and it gets quite thin, but cuts like a knife with a Strat in the neck position. It sounds marvellous on the Tweedy 5E3 vid I posted recently.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • Durham Electronics Sex Drive?
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1531
    Doesn’t this need moving to FX?
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9629
    Fairfield barbershop / Modele B 
    Bingo
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9629
    Ironically, Ive found that more ‘powerful’ overdives/distortions at low gain settings often make great bit-of-hair OD sounds…

This is my ball park; edge of break up. Some of my faves;

- most Barbers
    - Timmy
    - Barbershop
    - DOD 250
    - Cornish CC1
    - Boiling Point
    - King Tone Blues Power
  • Yorkie said:
    Doesn’t this need moving to FX?

Yes, OP gets a week's ban too, plus a free Timmy! 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KevSKevS Frets: 511
    Flatulent Badger Umami Acapella 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12443
    I use a mega cheap joyo American Sound
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I’d consider the Lauren Audio Mustang. Great pedal for working the line between clean and breakup. 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2212
    Honestly thought the thread was just gonna be a bunch of memes going by the title. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I use a mega cheap joyo American Sound
    Great pedal for the money
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • After reading this thread I thought I’d have another go at my Thorpy the Dane, and stacked in front of my Box of rock it can do quite a lot…so temporarily removed from the for sale section :)
  • pumkinpumkin Frets: 136
    King of Tone clean side
     Vemuram Shanks ODR 1 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3351
    edited October 2023
    I use the TC Cinders pedal for this. It’s cheap and it’s capable of more if needed. 
    I have the drive on low the volume on high and the tone set to 12 o’clock. 
    For £39, you can’t go wrong. 
  • Nerine said:
    Honestly thought the thread was just gonna be a bunch of memes going by the title. 

I find it suitable for updating Wiki entries like "list of all overdrive pedals".
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7838
    Fairfield barbershop / Modele B 
    Bingo
    Not bad, I do prefer my liquid sunshine mkii, possibly the most underrated pedal ever. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Everyone in this thread is stupid except me. Listen to me! I am the best. My knowledge is the best:

There is no definitive best pedal. It totally depends on your guitar, your amp, what else it needs to interact with, and how you play.

My "Best" has changed over time. You find it by trying out a whole bunch of stuff and seeing what sticks.

For the last couple of years, I've absolutely loved this:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    Naga Viper works very well for this or a TC Electronic Dark Matter , very clear o/d with the gain down - and it isn't a distortion even though it's called that .