Best natural, transparent, edge of break up pedal?

What's Hot

Comments

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Anarchy Audio Gold Class into a Rat set really low gave me exactly what you describe. It ended my OD search - that’s with a tele into a clean fenderish amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3958
    Just to be the latest to add a suggestion...

EQD Special Cranker

What did you call me?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4155
    I think you need a new guitar as well to make the most of it.  A nice SG would work wonders. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I think you need a new guitar as well to make the most of it.  A nice SG would work wonders. 
    And a new amp just to be on the safe side.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29052
    Don't forget the new cables, strings, and picks.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  •  I'd like the Page to have a touch more gain though. 

That's where the Harlot comes in.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10914
    No one has mentioned the Boss OD-3. Lovely sounding circuit. Does the edge of breakup thing really well. I really love the clipping character. Great value if you can find one used

My experience with the DOD 250 is that it works exceptionally well at adding a bit of hair to a clean Fender amp. The EQ is flat but it cuts some bass when you crank the gain to keep things tight. Also works equally well as a mid-gain distortion or a straight up boost. Such a good design

Haven't tried a Timmy or ODR-1 so can't compare
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2341
    roberty said:
    No one has mentioned the Boss OD-3. Lovely sounding circuit. Does the edge of breakup thing really well. I really love the clipping character. Great value if you can find one used

My experience with the DOD 250 is that it works exceptionally well at adding a bit of hair to a clean Fender amp. The EQ is flat but it cuts some bass when you crank the gain to keep things tight. Also works equally well as a mid-gain distortion or a straight up boost. Such a good design

Haven't tried a Timmy or ODR-1 so can't compare
    I need to build a 250 circuit.
  • BradBrad Frets: 675
    edited October 2023
     I'd like the Page to have a touch more gain though. 

Yep, things need to be cooking to get a bit more out of the Page, humbuckers really help in this regard. I also agree with @Wazmeister in that there’s a lot to be said for turning the gain down on a pedal that ordinarily has more gain than needed for this application. Or ride the guitar volume, preferably fitted with a treble bleed. 

I liked the Jam Rattler in this application and another vote for the Rockett Blue Note (the older one with the hot switch) but the Kingsley stuff is the best IMO
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2341
    Brad said:

Yep and I also agree @Wazmeister in that there’s a lot to be said for turning the gain down on a pedal that ordinarily has more gain than needed for this application. 

I liked the Jam Rattler in this application but the Kingsley stuff is the best IMO
    Yup, germanium Fuzz Face. Set the pedal for optimal fuzz, then back off the guitar volume to taste. Instant toanz.
  • BradBrad Frets: 675
    edited October 2023
    Keefy said:
    Brad said:

Yep and I also agree @Wazmeister in that there’s a lot to be said for turning the gain down on a pedal that ordinarily has more gain than needed for this application. 

I liked the Jam Rattler in this application but the Kingsley stuff is the best IMO
    Yup, germanium Fuzz Face. Set the pedal for optimal fuzz, then back off the guitar volume to taste. Instant toanz.
    Definitely. Whilst I’m not a Fuzz person, I just find this approach a great way of getting more shades than just using a pedal for that dedicated sound when quite often even when maxed out, it’s never quite enough. Different strokes etc
    edited October 2023
    Quick update: Tried a Lightspeed. Similar to my old Timmy. Not quite what I want. I think I'm now veering towards something more like a cranked amp or a preamp.

I've ordered an Earthquaker Special Cranker to try and the Origin DCX boost looks interesting too. Thx for the suggestions. I've had a Benson Preamp before, but didn't bond with it. Maybe I should try it again.

Onwards and upwards. Keep the suggestions coming. Cheers.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3324
    Lebarque said:
    Quick update: Tried a Lightspeed. Similar to my old Timmy. Not quite what I want. I think I'm now veering towards something more like a cranked amp or a preamp.

I've ordered an Earthquaker Special Cranker to try and the Origin DCX boost looks interesting too. Thx for the suggestions. I've had a Benson Preamp before, but didn't bond with it. Maybe I should try it again.

Onwards and upwards. Keep the suggestions coming. Cheers.
    Wampler Black ‘65. Does the preamp push very well, and almost has the compressor effect of making everything just sound better. I’ve one on the desk here that a friend lent me, if you can find a s/h one it would be worth a try. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16337
    Someone on here said something about Kingsley. I have been watching stuff on my brother in law’s YouTube feed which is basically classic and prog rock but I noted that Steve Rothery uses a Kingsley Jester to valve up a very clean sound. Probably too crunchy, from about 10:20, just seemed interesting in the context of this Discussion…

https://youtu.be/5U6Dnt7LfwI?si=wsRrMLgctcAUjAVq
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4739
    Lebarque said:

Have you tried the Benson Germanium Fuzz?  To low gain for the fuzz I was looking for at the time but looking back it was a great dynamic low gainer.  I replaced it with a Broadcast but preferred the Benson.

Also, I have a Deco incoming, I know a lot of people use that as a transparent boost, quite interested to finally have a try of one.
    Lebarque said:

Have you tried the Benson Germanium Fuzz?  To low gain for the fuzz I was looking for at the time but looking back it was a great dynamic low gainer.  I replaced it with a Broadcast but preferred the Benson.

Also, I have a Deco incoming, I know a lot of people use that as a transparent boost, quite interested to finally have a try of one.
    Sounds great. I generally don't like dirt peds with no gain control though.
    Someone on here said something about Kingsley. I have been watching stuff on my brother in law’s YouTube feed which is basically classic and prog rock but I noted that Steve Rothery uses a Kingsley Jester to valve up a very clean sound. Probably too crunchy, from about 10:20, just seemed interesting in the context of this Discussion…

https://youtu.be/5U6Dnt7LfwI?si=wsRrMLgctcAUjAVq
    I'm sure the Kingsleys are amazeballs, but I refuse to pay that much for pedals when there are so many great options around.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7868
    edited October 2023
    Have you tried a MKII Liquid sunshine? 

What amp are you using? 

Imo a dist+ od250 or fuzz rolled down can be too gritty. Becomes clean plus some "sandpaper" on top into a very clean amp... exactly why I don't like the KOT either.

You might prefer a less neutral Mad prof honey bee or JHS thunderbolt. They both add grit but a but more smoothly. 
  • Regardless of pedals, are there any recorded examples of the tone you’re after?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10914
    Keefy said:
    roberty said:
    I need to build a 250 circuit.
    It's a classic. Well worth checking out