Furch Red (NGD)

What's Hot

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    A beauty. And great pictures! If that’s an example of your poor photography I’d love to see the good stuff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Very nice.  I’m not so much for bling on acoustics but that rosette in particular is lovely.

I am really taken by the grain of the neck :)
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    That's a lovely guitar indeed! Nice score :)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27502
    Purty!

Congrats @Tannin - if it plays half as good as it looks (etc).
    :+1:
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5469
    That is a stunner! I thought my Stonebridge/Furch looked gorgeous but it's a plain Jane next to yours.

• DiscoStu said:
    That is a stunner! I thought my Stonebridge/Furch looked gorgeous but it's a plain Jane next to yours.

Pretty much what I was about to type. @Tannin that's an absolute beauty, HNGD! :-)
  • Be great to hear it!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    drofluf said:
    A beauty. And great pictures! If that’s an example of your poor photography I’d love to see the good stuff
    Absolutely! Those photos are great.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 231
    edited October 2023
    Don't know how I missed this thread until now, but that looks great Tannin. Love the body sculpting too. 

I went along with a friend to try a few Furch guitars before covid. He bought one (not sure of the model) but the build quality & finish on them all was top notch. 
    Another nice addition to your stable!

• Gloss body and satin neck? 

What's the measured body depth at the heel?

Furch is one of the only brands who's rosewoods I like. I'm warming to the widened EQ of rosewood. That's a great buy, congrats
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5449
    edited October 2023
    Thanks @Shadow, @sev112, @Benm39, @TTony, @DiscoStu & @richman6100!

Just so @thomasross20 Body depth at the heel is 95mm. For comparison:

90mm Mineur concert guitar (around about standard 00 or OM size, I think) From memory, also my Guild. I expect my Brook Lyn will be the same when it gets here. 

95mm Furch grand auditorium

100mm: Maton 808, Maton Trad, Cole Clark Grand Auditorium, Maton dreadnought.

So it splits the difference. As I play it more and more, I'm really only confirming my first impressions. It's an extraordinarily playable instrument. I still don't think the sound is as good as the sound of the Messiah - not so pure, not so rich - but it's a very good sound just the same. And because it is so magically playable, I make fewer mistakes and sound better. So very happy with it.

The hard part is this: I put a set of Cleartone Reds on the Messiah the other day. These are a high-copper bronze - normal phosphor bronze is 92% copper, 8% tin - the Reds use an undisclosed but greater amount of copper and the result is a  deeper, more full sound. This suits the Messiah perfectly: it has never sounded better. 

So now I don't want to sell it. But I'll have difficulty finding an extra $3000+ to cover the cost of keeping it. And I couldn't bear to part with any of the others. Oh well, the credit card bill isn't due for another month yet, I've got some time to think it over.

Cheers @Soupman, yes, the body sculpting looks great and it feels great on your knee. 

Thanks @drofluf, @Dave_Mc - nice of you to say that about my so-so guitar pictures. I'm better at birds and wildlife -  see
    http://tannin.net.au

@WafflesOnHorseback I have a three part plan for recording this guitar (and my various others) 1: Buy a nice microphone and associated kit. 2: Find a place to set it up (this will require building on another room) 3: Learn to play the instrument properly. I've done (1) haven't started (2) and I'm still working on (3).

EDIT: link fixed.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Tannin some superb pictures I could get lost for days there. 

P.S. there’s something wrong with the link you posted. Don’t know if it’s the semi-colon? But http://tannin.net.au/ works. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow that's actually quite a thin body! It's quite the balance between playability and resonance - I wonder if the playability factor is somewhat down to the body depth.
    Tannin said:

90mm Mineur concert guitar (around about standard 00 or OM size, I think) From memory, also my Guild. I expect my Brook Lyn will be the same when it gets here. 

My Lyn tapers from 90mm at the neck to about 102 at the far end. So assuming you didn't specify anything different yours should be similar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tannin said:
     and I'm still working on (3).

Mate, we're all still working on 3 :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm drooling.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    drofluf said:
    @Tannin some superb pictures I could get lost for days there. 
    Agreed, those are just incredible!  :o I always figured Australia would be beautiful, but that's something else. Also the birds of prey pics  :o

Tannin said:
     and I'm still working on (3).

Mate, we're all still working on 3 :)
    Darn straight, at least in my case!  =)
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5449
    Is this normal?

I changed the strings on the Furch for the first time today, replacing the factory Elixir Nanoweb 12s (which were still in pretty good shape but mildly annoying because soap) with a set of the ever-excellent SIT Royal Bronze. As is my habit, I removed all the strings first  ... and the nut fell off! 

Now I have learned that a great many excellent guitars have saddles which are held in simply by string pressure. I've been told here by people I respect that this is a Bad Thing and Hurts The Sound. It doesn't. Since hearing that tale I've played any number of fine guitars and seen abundant evidence demonstrating that a tight fit in the bridge slot makes no practical difference. Some have it, some don't, doesn't matter either way. (I accept that it may make a difference on Epiphones - which were mentioned in that connection -  and others of similar ilk. I don't know why that would be, something to do with their pickup design maybe? But no matter, I haven't played any of them in anger and likely never will. But I am satisfied that on the guitars I play, a loose saddle is of no consequence.)

The nut though, isn't that a different matter? I don't care for the nut falling out when I take the strings off! All else aside, it slides around from side to side when you refit it and start putting the new strings on.

I daresay it's deliberate on Furch's part - I can't see it being an oversight on a non-Gibson guitar in this price range, let alone one which is so beautifully detailed and finished in every other respect. But it's weird.

Anyway, I daresay I'll put a little drop of glue on it and never give it another thought.

Has anyone else had this in a new guitar?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How odd!
    Wouldn't be keen on that. Not on my Larrivee's lol
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5370
    I have a feeling the nut on my Furch used to be a friction fit. It isn't anymore.